PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the Hurricane HTC100 chuck insert

Greg McClurg
06-03-2013, 1:07 PM
I recently purchased the HTC100 chuck, and have a question regarding attaching the insert. Is the insert supposed to seat completely against the chuck? I've tightened the screws as tight as I can get them, but there is still a gap between the insert flange and the back of the chuck. Just wondering if this is normal. I bought the chuck with the set of 8 different jaws. My first impression is it looks like quality equipment.

Thanks,
Greg

Roger Chandler
06-03-2013, 1:23 PM
Greg.......boy, is your timing great or what? I just got off the phone with Steve Fulgoni about that very issue! I just got the HTC 125 chuck and the insert is a taper lock and the screws properly sequenced when tightening, will seat the insert........when the screws are tight, there will be about a 1/16th inch gap between the insert lip and the center hub on the chuck body to which it mounts..........this is the way it is designed........

Just make sure you turn each screw about a turn each time in sequence until all are bottomed out and tight.......you should be good to go!

My HTC 125 runs true, so it is all good!

Mike Cruz
06-03-2013, 3:21 PM
Yeah, I don't think any of mine actually bottom out. I think the point is that you are getting the insert to properly mate with the chuck...not relying on the shoulder of the insert. IIRC, Strongholds are the same way.

Greg McClurg
06-03-2013, 3:49 PM
Thanks Roger and Mike. I have a Vicmarc and Teknatool and the inserts both screw into the chuck so I wasn't familiar with this system. I did only turn each screw about a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn at a time. I'll put it on the lathe and see how true it runs. My assumption is that it will be fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Greg

Roger Chandler
06-03-2013, 4:27 PM
In my conversation with Steve, he said the fit is on the taper and not on the end of the insert. This design is part of what makes it run true....if you think about it, it is the same principle as your morse taper in your spindle and drive centers......the taper is what centers everything. Good luck!

Richard Jones
06-04-2013, 9:28 AM
I guess I can't see why so much emphasis is placed on these inserts. I have 6 SN2's and a couple of G3's, none of which show any appreciable runout with the Nova adapters. I never use the set screws to lock it to the spindle.

Am I missing something?

Michael Stafford
06-04-2013, 9:51 AM
Richard, I think discussions of runout unless it is to an extreme when discussing materials, i.e. wood which can contract and expand seasonally more than the runout being discussed is hardly an issue.

I have seen most issues of runout fixed by removing dust and chips accumulated or stuck to the mating surfaces of the lathe spindle and chuck removed.

I have a lot of chucks from 3 different manufacturers (bought most of them used) and I switch back and forth with them and don't see any appreciable runout that is of concern. (If you are looking to sell a name brand chuck I am your man. I need a couple more chucks.)

Take a look at what happened to Baxter's walnut vase. It didn't get misshapen on that side because of runout. Wood moves forever! Folks it ain't steel.