PDA

View Full Version : Beaver 3400 Evolution

Paul Horne
06-03-2013, 11:51 AM
About a year ago I decided that I needed to expand my woodworking horizons and started trolling forums and kijiji for a lathe. I had my heart set on a new delta but alas my pocketbook said no (along with SHMBO). Eventually I found something that was not much but I thought I would look anyway.

The lathe was in really poor shape and I started to walk away. The guy said how much is it worth. I said $75 he said sure and I acquired my very first lathe. A Beaver 3400.

With little fanfare I brought it home and thought, hey I wonder if it would look better with some paint?

Soon I was all over the forums looking for hints and tips. I figured that bowls were my objective, so I needed to fix the speed as I learned it was unsuitable for bowl turning and saw many examples of jack shaft setups. That was the ticket and so I continued to upgrade. New paint, wood, fix the stand, new bearings, belts, install a new to me motor and a jack shaft setup. Looked like brand new when I was done:

I started small making wands for the kids...

And soon progressed into some nice pieces I could actually show my friends....and my wife could justify my investment in tools, sharpening equip, chuck etc.

I eventually found a 1/2hp motor with a reverse wired. Perfect for sanding!

With this setup I have now produced many pieces ( my wife has no more shelf space so now they are gifts for friends )
Well my addiction is set...and of course I have recently started to look for not just an upgrade but a replacement...but then...I came across this!

I had been investigating upgrading the lathe to true variable speed but the cost of a 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive was really cost prohibitive hence my reasoning for money better spent on a new lathe. But this I could not resist...it is a an Allen Bradley 1329i 1hp motor with VFD integrated, operating at 110v. An absolute thing of beauty....and the guy on kijiji kindly took my offer of $150 which was half of his posting. At that price i could afford to play. So this week I set about the upgrade. I wired n a terminal box:

Tested it and it worked! Not a huge surprise but all the same it was a kijiji purchase. Last week I finished wiring it up to the lathe with a hard power cutoff and new link belt direct drive to the motor...and I could not be happier!

Even took the time to make it dirty! It is quiet, and accurate and I now have a whole new lease on the life of my Beaver 3400...I think I will call it the 3400 Mark II Should keep me from eyeing that Nova DVR for at least another year :0)

Thanks for reading.

Paul

Curt Stivison
06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Nice, very nice

Roger Chandler
06-03-2013, 1:19 PM
That is a cool refurb! Very nice job! Thanks for sharing the adventure!

Bob Bergstrom
06-03-2013, 3:05 PM
Nice job bring a good old lathe back to life. With the jack shaft it must rotate down to a crawl. Thanks for the look.

Jim Underwood
06-03-2013, 3:46 PM
As they always say.. it's not the machine nor the tools, but the nut behind the wheel....;) Seriously, that's a really nice upgrade job on that little gap bed lathe. Keep up that good turning work, and you'll make some sales, and be able to buy a bigger lathe.

Brian Kent
06-03-2013, 3:47 PM
Awesome job. Welcome. Thanks for the pictures too.
I was looking around for dimensions. Am I right that it can handle a 36" spindle and a 12" bowl over the gap?

Paul Horne
06-03-2013, 4:00 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Yes the bed is 12" swing over the gap. I have found that it makes a really nice 10" bowl that people appreciate.
As for the RPM of the vfd drive, I limited it to a range of 90 to 2700 RPM. However it is capable of 0 - 3600.