PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
3 Jun 2013

Good Morning Everyone,
First off let me say that my thoughts are prayers go out to all those who have been impacted by the severe storms and weather that has crossed several parts of our nation. I send my best wishes for quick recoveries and condolences for those who lost loved ones in the storms path.

Back to oncall duty at the day job today. Spent the weekend putting in windows in our bay window to replace the junky old windows with new windows. There aren't replacement windows, but are new construction windows because around the bay windows is all vinyl siding and is easy to remove and put up new windows....to help reduce the window cost as well. :)

I still have the other 10 windows to "replace" around the house and yes, those are replacement windows due to the brick around the rest of the house. We are really liking out Quaker Windows, made in Freeburg, MO (I think). Love these windows. Much better made that the Pella Thermastar windows we priced at Lowes and the price as $1,000 LESS than the Lowes price. We are really happy about that as well.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Art Mann
06-03-2013, 11:14 AM
I built a torsion box shelf to mount overhead in a small storage room behind my garage. It needed to be 6' long and 24" wide with no support except ledgers on each end (the width of the storage room). I built it out of 3/8" B-C grade pine plywood skins with a 3/4" by 1 1/2" grid of roughly 8" squares within. After completion, I tested it and it supported a 300lb load in the middle with less than 1/2" deflection but is light enough that I can easily carry it easily by myself. Torsion box technology is really remarkable. I think I could have used 1/4" plywood and 3/4" by 1" grid material.

John TenEyck
06-03-2013, 1:22 PM
I had my electrical panel upgraded from 60 to 200 Amps; I'm in the big time now. After too many years we're finally going to have central AC installed, which necessitated the upgrade. It also allows me to run a welder of nearly any size I'd every need now, and I am picking up a barely used 230V MIG unit with gas tank and a bunch of extras later this afternoon. On the woodworking side, I delievered a 5' diameter starburst pattern veneered table top that I refinished. The veneer looked like mahogany in the center, with a rosewood border about 4" wide around the outside. I stripped it 3 times to get everything off, dyed it to bring back something close the original color, sealed it with shellac, and then topcoated it with Arm-R-Seal. Big mistake. I couldn't get it on as uniform as I wanted on that big 5 foot circle, and it started to look cloudy by the 5th or 6th coat, so I ended up stripping it all off again. Re-dyed and sealed it again, and then sprayed 4 coats of GF's EnduroVar on it. Beautiful, and the owner was very pleased.

John

Doug Richardson
06-03-2013, 2:30 PM
Didn't have a lot of time this weekend, but Sunday I stained 8 12' pieces of oak baseboard for the living room and dining room. Have 7 more pieces to go, then 15 12' pieces of shoe molding to do..... This seemed like more work than staining the floor!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-03-2013, 2:40 PM
I've been applying finish to my version of Norm Abram's deluxe router station for over a week now. I hate finishing! Sunday afternoon, I got the last coat on. Today install drawer slides and maybe the locking heavy duty rollers.

Sean Hughto
06-03-2013, 2:41 PM
I began work on the mirror portion of a vanity table I'm working on (lots of refinements to come - but it's startign to take shape):

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2870/8926745754_e0dc7eda5b_c.jpg

Mike Wilkins
06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
One of the biggest weekend projects in my life. Got the youngest daughter graduated from law school. Now for the bar exam and life in the real world.

Rod Sheridan
06-04-2013, 10:10 AM
One of the biggest weekend projects in my life. Got the youngest daughter graduated from law school. Now for the bar exam and life in the real world.

Congratulations and best wishes for your daughter.............Regards, Rod.