PDA

View Full Version : I was on my way to buy an Apron plane...

Hilton Ralphs
06-03-2013, 6:02 AM
I have a Veritas Low Angle block plane together with the front know and large tote plus the chamfer guide for good measure. I have also purchased the 38 and 50 and Toothed blades to make this plane extremely versatile.

However I wanted a second block plane set-up with a different cut. My heart was set on the Veritas Apron plane plus the cool leather holster. There were plenty of reviews/posts that indicated that the LA was perhaps too wide for most but I haven't found this to be too much of a problem. Anyhoo, I went down to my local hardware shop who happen to be the only agents in South Africa for Veritas. I pulled out the Apron plane to see how it fits in my hand. First up they only had the O1 blade but when I held it in my sweaty paw it felt waaaaay too small and I felt my hand cramping up. I then tried it in my left hand without any change in discomfort.

I then pulled open a DX60 (with an A2 blade- no PMV11) and this immediately felt brilliant in my hand. My hands are not that large, about 4inches across the knuckles but this just felt so natural. At a landed selling price of $350 I wasn't prepared to take the plunge so I'm going to try and import one myself.

Long story short, I thought the little Apron plane would be perfect for my hands but no matter how I tried to hold it, it just felt awkward.

Mark Baldwin III
06-03-2013, 6:57 AM
At a landed selling price of $350 I wasn't prepared to take the plunge so I'm going to try and import one myself.

Wow! That's quite a mark-up! I'd hate to see what they are charging for the shiny version. Are the import taxes really that bad? Or do places there like to run up the prices in general?

Hilton Ralphs
06-03-2013, 7:10 AM
It's a combination of import duties, VAT, shipping and the distributor/reseller discount that is negotiated.

If you order plenty items, then your shipping is cheaper per item but then you sit with stock...........

I half thought about just using my cr@pyy Award block plane that came in a set with a #4 smoother but neither soles are flat and I would rather sell the set (birthday prezzie from my daughter) and get a proper block plane like the DX60. I think it's from India.

george wilson
06-03-2013, 8:31 AM
When I was in England years ago,I noticed an original size Leather man tool(the first model that came out) for 99 pounds. That would have translated to about $160.00 U.S. currency. IIRC,I could have bought the Leatherman for about $25.00 here at the time. I did buy one when they first came out. In Italy I paid $24.00 for a watch band I could buy here for $9.00. A set of guitar strings was over $20.00,as opposed to about $6.00 here.

Derek Cohen
06-03-2013, 9:07 AM
Hi George

Many things are so much cheaper in the States - vintage tools, new tools. In part, every other country has to pay international shipping and tax on top of the retail cost. And then there is the exchange rate. For the past 2 years we in Australia have had parity, or slightly better, with the USD, but now this is slipping again. Currently 1 AUD = .96 USD. At one time, just a few years ago, I automatically added 50% to the cost of a tool - before shipping. But we have it great compared to South Africa. Hilton is likely getting $1 for every R9. Of course, this does not take into account cost of living, salary, etc, so I may be out in trying to equate tool cost across the world.

Hoe gaan dit, Hilton? Ek is 'n ou Kaapenaar, omtrent dertig jaar tevore. My taal is 'n bietjie swak nou :) :)

This may interest you: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Chris Griggs
06-03-2013, 9:16 AM
Hoe gaan dit, Hilton? Ek is 'n ou Kaapenaar, omtrent dertig jaar tevore. My taal is 'n bietjie swak nou :) :)

Oh yeah, I forgot you're originally from South Africa. Is that Afrikaans? Just curious.....

David Weaver
06-03-2013, 9:20 AM
When I was in England years ago,I noticed an original size Leather man tool(the first model that came out) for 99 pounds. That would have translated to about $160.00 U.S. currency. IIRC,I could have bought the Leatherman for about $25.00 here at the time. I did buy one when they first came out. In Italy I paid $24.00 for a watch band I could buy here for $9.00. A set of guitar strings was over $20.00,as opposed to about $6.00 here.

Seems the problem in Hilton's case is there's only one importer. The importer decides then if they want to try to expand market, or if they instead just want to maximize what they get out of every piece they sell. In this case, it sounds like the philosophy is closer to #2. I know it costs money to be an importer and tie up capital and have floor space, but I would be finding someone who would buy and ship a plane to me for that difference in cost. If there's a VAT on imports, I might ask someone to scratch it up a little, too.

Brian Kent
06-03-2013, 9:34 AM
Is there a VAT for a used plane? Maybe someone would sell a used plane to you for what a new one costs in the US, but less than you are paying.

Derek Cohen
06-03-2013, 9:45 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot you're originally from South Africa. Is that Afrikaans? Just curious.....

Hi Chris

Yes. I said that I grew up in Cape Town, a very long time ago. My parents still live there. Yesterday was my father's 99th birthday. He is still pretty alert and active, although walking is not so easy anymore. I have visited every year for the past 30 years. Cape Town is a beautiful city. My wife and I will be there next month.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Matthew N. Masail
06-03-2013, 9:45 AM
Why can't you order it in from the states? will there be a high import duty? in Israel we don't pay (tfu tfu tfu) tax on hand tools, but then again there is no distributor to compete with. I'm was born in SA, too, BTW (-:

David Weaver
06-03-2013, 9:52 AM
Lee Valley might be an exception, but most places who have an agreement with an importer will not sell directly to anyone in the importer's territory.

Greg R Bradley
06-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I received the LV NX60 as a gift but probably will not actually get around to using it for at least 6 months. If buying that would qualify as "used" to get around your duty requirements, I would be happy to help you out. I could just replace it later, when I will have time to actually use it.

It is a work of art but actually feels a bit narrow in my hand. I continue to use my LN 102 for the tiny amount of my work that requires a block plane.

Hilton Ralphs
06-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Lee Valley might be an exception, but most places who have an agreement with an importer will not sell directly to anyone in the importer's territory.
Lee Valley have sold to me in the past and I've either sent the stuff to a friend who was visiting the States or via a courier. I wait until the free shipping comes around but sometimes this strategy bites me in the butt chisel. For example at the beginning of May the Rand/USD rate was 9.00 but now it's 10.20. So whilst I was waiting to save $9 shipping, my thriftiness has cost me 10 times that.

Why can't you order it in from the states? will there be a high import duty? in Israel we don't pay (tfu tfu tfu) tax on hand tools, but then again there is no distributor to compete with. I'm was born in SA, too, BTW (-:
Hey another Saffer! The local Revenue Services (SARS) allows imports below R500 in value to pass under the radar so one off deals will not be affected.

Cape Town is a beautiful city.

Without a doubt!

Is there a VAT for a used plane? Maybe someone would sell a used plane to you for what a new one costs in the US, but less than you are paying.
I actually don't know but sometimes the imports fly under the local Customs scrutiny.

I know it costs money to be an importer and tie up capital and have floor space, but I would be finding someone who would buy and ship a plane to me for that difference in cost.
I like to support the local guys when I can but in this case I can't see how it will cost me an additional $100-150 to ship the item myself.

I enquired about shipping a Twin-Screw Vise.

Here is Lee Valley's quote.

The shipping rates are based on the total weight of each order. The shipping options to have the Twin Screw Vise (05G1222) shipped to South Africa would be as follows:

Shipping Method Cost Shipping Time

International Surface delivery $124.60 USD 8 to 12 weeks

XpressPost International $248.18 USD 5 to 10 business days

UPS Express $195.37 USD 5 to 6 business days

So sometimes the shipping cost of this gets lumbered onto other stuff to make it affordable.

This may interest you: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasPremiumBlockPlane.html

Ja boet. Thanks, I've read that article many times as well as others. I grew up in Rhodesia so my Afrikaans is terrible.

Thanks for all the replies.