PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about neck surgery.

paul cottingham
06-03-2013, 12:57 AM
I am curious to know if anyone here has had neck surgery. I had a titanium spacer inserted into my neck 3 weeks ago, and am wondering if anyone else has had such a surgery. More importantly, if you have, were you able to return to woodworking? How about hand tools? I have actually regained a great deal of feeling in my hands, and I can balance better, so I really hope I will be able to return to woodworking with some of my skills and abilities still intact.
I can't get a straight answer from the surgeon.

Gary Hodgin
06-03-2013, 1:42 AM
Never had neck surgery. I don't think I know anyone who ever has but I hope your's turns out well and you can return to woodworking soon. It may depend on what you work on and how you do it.

Joe Kieve
06-03-2013, 8:18 AM
I've never had neck surgery myself but know a number of folks who've had the same as yours. They were able to do after the surgery things they did before it. Hope this helps you.

joe

Curt Harms
06-03-2013, 8:47 AM
Perhaps the surgeon is reluctant to promise anything because this is a relatively new procedure and/or outcomes are unpredictable? What's the risk of doing some handwork if the Doc okays it? I hope your outcome is positive.

paul cottingham
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
The surgeon is just that type of doc. this is the fourth time he has operated on me, and the first time he ever came and checked in with me or my wife after the operation. For example, he failed to mention that my neck size (20 inches) could create problems with swelling after the operation, and sure enough, 3 days after, i got treated to an ambulance ride because I couldn't breath thru my mouth. Got to stay in hospital for 5 days after that.
So I am a little leery.
He is a terrific mechanic, so I am hopeful.

Eduard Nemirovsky
06-03-2013, 12:16 PM
For sure you will not going to do what you never did before surgery ( like playing violin:)), but with proper physical therapy and your determination you will be back to normal functioning level.
Ed.

paul cottingham
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
For sure you will not going to do what you never did before surgery ( like playing violin:)), but with proper physical therapy and your determination you will be back to normal functioning level.
Ed.
What? No violin? :D I guess I wont magically be able to carve acanthus leaves either?