PDA

View Full Version : Azax beam drill

Acharya Kumarswami
06-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Does anyone have experience with an Ajax beam drill, used for drilling large and deep holes in beams?
I purchased one and it seems to be in good shape, but the chuck is puzzling me a bit. There are two screws that hold the bit in, and also two half sleeves that should apparently move in to clamp the shaft to center it, but I'm not sure.

Harlan Barnhart
06-03-2013, 8:08 AM
Can you post pictures? I imagine someone here has seen one before.

Chris Vandiver
06-03-2013, 9:36 AM
Acharya,

You might do well to pose this question with the Timberframers Guild.

http://www.tfguild.org/

Andrae Covington
06-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Does anyone have experience with an Ajax beam drill, used for drilling large and deep holes in beams?
I purchased one and it seems to be in good shape, but the chuck is puzzling me a bit. There are two screws that hold the bit in, and also two half sleeves that should apparently move in to clamp the shaft to center it, but I'm not sure.

I have a beam drill packed away in a box, so not readily accessible. I don't know a lot about them, but I do know that the bits made specifically for beam drills / boring machines have fairly large diameter (1/2" ?) cylindrical shafts. Some beam drills could also hold tapered-square-shaft auger bits made for brace drills. So what you're describing as two half sleeves might be to secure those bits.