PDA

View Full Version : 12" Walnut Bowl

Nate Davey
06-02-2013, 10:35 PM
I needed a turning fix this weekend, between yard work and bear watching I needed a break. So, I went out to my wood storage and saw this 12x12 piece of walnut I brought from NC in my wood survival stash. Inspired by Tim R's spectacular walnut hollow form I hoped for the best. There was a bark inclusion that went about 2/3 of the way through the center of the blank along the entire length. I some how managed to keep it together with copious amounts of CA and Verdigris Embossing powder. Some how I managed not to turn away the feather that accompanied the inclusion. Finish is Dr Workshop Walnut Oil with Wax. Overall diameter is 12"

Bob Bergstrom
06-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Great job keeping it together. Well worth the effort. How thin before your better judgement said "good enough"?

Michelle Rich
06-03-2013, 6:28 AM
good save & I like simple

charlie knighton
06-03-2013, 7:32 AM
very nice, not sure how some ca glue would keep that together, thanks for sharing

Lee Koepke
06-03-2013, 8:38 AM
very nice. I have a similar walnut bowl with a similar type 'accent' that serves to hold screws and sawdust on my bench...I didnt have the nerve to finish it!

Nate Davey
06-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Bob,

I started getting nervous when the bark inclusion flew out, then called it quits when I got a fairly constant inside curve and I could see a little light through the infill. The bottom is about 1/4" including the little foot. At no time was I ever in the line of fire on this thing, even put something up to protect the window behind the lathe. Glad it held together.