PDA

View Full Version : running MAN profile knife cutter in reverse?

James Baker SD
06-02-2013, 7:23 PM
If you have a MAN rated profile knife cutter that requires 2 knives and 2 limiters, can you reverse the positions of the knives and limiters so that you can:

1. flip the whole assembly upside down to make the pattern upside down?
2. run the shaper in reverse and feed in the opposite direction?

It seems like this is possible by looking at the cutter head and the gaps for the knives and limiters.

Thanks,
James

Rod Sheridan
06-03-2013, 8:49 AM
James. I just flip the entire head upside down (no interchanging of limiters/knives) and run it in reverse rotation with reverse feed.............Rod.

Peter Quinn
06-03-2013, 10:08 AM
I've run my euro block cutters reverse rotation and fed left to right without issue. These are two knife no limiter heads, but the limiters will not change anything. I don't think you have to swap any orientation with the knives, by both flipping the head and changing the feed direction the relationship of knives to wood remains constant.

peter gagliardi
06-03-2013, 12:04 PM
MAN refers to manual feed , vs machine fed or powerfed. The cutter doesn't know which way is up or down, nor being fed left or right. It is a spinning cylinder, and as long as you introduce the wood to the proper feed direction of the cutter head design, it doesn't care or matter.
Peter