PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on repairing a primitive key

Pat Larkin
06-02-2013, 7:12 PM
Thought this might be a good place to ask. I bought this primitive lock and key at an antique tools auction about 10 years ago and ended up stashing it with some tools that don't get used. I recently re-discovered it. The lock is functional, but the key has one side broken off. I was wondering if anyone here would have any ideas on where to turn for something like this. If I could get it repaired without wrecking the primitive appearance, that would be great...or maybe having a new key made would be easier. Any ideas??

Tom Fischer
06-04-2013, 12:47 PM
If nobody else can help, if you contact a larger furniture museum they will have access to whatever you need. Just going to have to talk them in an appropriate way.

Several years ago I inherited an oil portrait of my father's father. The painting was creased and ripped, terrible condition. I found a oil painting conservator about 100 miles from here. He fixed it like new (and fixed my checking account too :D) Well worth the money.

Mike Cutler
06-05-2013, 12:39 PM
I'd PM George Wilson, here on the forum. It's an odds on bet he can either do it, or knows who can.
He has an amazing skillset.

Jim Matthews
06-05-2013, 9:25 PM
The North Bennet street school has an entire department devoted to locksmiths (http://www.nbss.edu/education/programs/locksmithing/index.aspx)and their craft.

They're all over stuff like this. Word has it the locksmith graduates are the only ones that
ever make a substantial living. My guess is that they would jump at a chance to resurrect something cool like yours...

John Bare
06-06-2013, 2:22 PM
These type of keys were made by blacksmiths. If you can find one near you they can make another key or maybe you can find one online that can do it. They will need the key to make a replacement.

Pat Larkin
06-06-2013, 7:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. There are blacksmiths around me that I will check with. The Locksmiths school sounds interesting, but appears to be more modern only. May be worth sending an email to find out for sure.

ray hampton
06-06-2013, 8:31 PM
buying the key blank will be the hard problem, cutting the key will be simply