PDA

View Full Version : Rooky finishing help needed!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2005, 9:48 AM
I didn't fill the pores on the oak buffet I'm finishing. I'm finishing with poly dilluted with MS. Now I notice that I'm getting high spots and low spots in the surface. It's creating a wavy surface. Should I sand the surface flat between each coat to prevent this effect?

larry merlau
05-19-2005, 9:57 AM
ken i to have had that problem in the past, and here is what i did to correct it. i did sand between coats and reapply finnish. after that problem and repair i now put on two coats first then sand with 400 then wipe off dust a reapply with thinner coats, 400 again between, you can leave the finish dust in the pores on oak and it will help level the feild but some of the pros say to clean it off. i just got done doing some oak doors and it turned out fine two coat finish just knock off the high spots of the first coat to scratch the surface w.320 then apply 2cd coat then dry and sand w 400 then apply additiional thinner coats to desired sheen. this is something learned from (here) and expiernce ken

Tim Sproul
05-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd be leary of filling pores with polyurethane. Thick layers of poly take nearly forever to dry. I'd be tempted to fill with dewaxed shellac and then start with the poly after achieving flat, pore-free surfaces.

larry merlau
05-19-2005, 10:20 AM
I'd be leary of filling pores with polyurethane. Thick layers of poly take nearly forever to dry. I'd be tempted to fill with dewaxed shellac and then start with the poly after achieving flat, pore-free surfaces.
tim// i wasnt suggesting filling with thick layer of poly just the dust from sanded areas that doesnt come off with the swipe of a rag :D

Jeff Sudmeier
05-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Ken,

I have followed Larry's steps with good results. After the first two coats the pores are filled. It has worked great so far.

John Hart
05-19-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Ken,

I had to make an oak Tree Cookie for the childrens discovery center at the Natural History Museum here in Cleveland and they wanted a matte glass finish. I decided on poly. The method I used was to lay in two coats the standard way with full drying, then on the following coats, I only let them dry 1/4 of the time, which left the poly hard but kinda pliable. At that point, I used 500 grit by hand and let it sit for a few more hours to cure with the dust left on before applying the next coat. (These are thin coats) I buffed for a non glare surface. It turned out pretty good and doesn't leave finger prints