PDA

View Full Version : Butcher block bench top

Leigh Betsch
06-02-2013, 12:59 PM
How would a bench top made of end grain like a butcher block work? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I don't recall the answer.

Jim Koepke
06-02-2013, 1:20 PM
My fear would be of the glue lines failing and then ending up with little blocks of wood all over the place.

It would also be a bear to flatten after a few years.

jtk

Tom Vanzant
06-02-2013, 2:22 PM
My FIL asked me to fix his butcher-block cutting board that had failed at several glue lines. Every time I snugged up a clamp, another glue line popped.
Bottom line: I made him an edge-glued replacement. I can't imagine the frustration of dealing with a workbench-sized butcherblock.

Tony Shea
06-02-2013, 6:26 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but the glue joints should still all be long grain to long grain. I do agree in that the flattening process would suck, doable but not much fun. I agree that it is probably more trouble than it's worth but I still would love to see one. If you're a not afraid of the flattening process and have your mind set on it than I say go for it.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
06-02-2013, 6:59 PM
for all the effort, would it actually gain you anything?

My main concern would be moving the direction of all the wood movement coplanar with the surface of the benchtop - seems like it would stress the joints to the base and help it rack itself apart. But that's just my gut reaction, not based on any actual hard facts or analysis.

Jim Matthews
06-02-2013, 9:46 PM
Two things, the longer the surface area the stronger the joint.
(Most actual butcher blocks are significantly thick (http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/butcher-blocks/english-butcher-block-from-early-19th-century/id-f_757162/), on the order of 10".)

Second, a long span of blocks like this would have no opposing forces at play.
(A long board, suspended at each end will sag under the force of gravity. The top edge will go into compression which is resisted by the bottom edge in tension.)

With endgrain "UP", the only resistance to gravity is the glue line, which will be experience shear forces.

I believe that is why most industrial butcher blocks are reinforced with all thread rod.

Roy Lindberry
06-02-2013, 11:11 PM
How would a bench top made of end grain like a butcher block work? Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but I don't recall the answer.

I would be worried that it wouldn't have the horizontal strength to span a trestle base. If you built an undercarriage with enough support, then I suppose it might be ok. But I would expect it to sag tremendously otherwise.

Leigh Betsch
06-03-2013, 8:04 AM
Sounds like a lot of reasons why I've never seen one.