PDA

View Full Version : Panther 10' sliding table saw

Ralph Butts
06-01-2013, 8:03 PM
Anyone have any experience or opinions to offer on Panther Machinery's 10' sliding table saw? The information on their website is very sparse. Found an old post on here but no real information. Thanks all.

David Kumm
06-01-2013, 8:49 PM
I may be totally wrong but I thought they were imported and made at the same factory as most Chinese sliders- factory owned by Biesse. I looked at several clones in Atlanta and all were heavily built although a little rougher than the Euro counterparts. There are little difference among the ones I saw but can't remember if Panther was one. Are you looking new or used- single or three phase? Most of the Chinese saws went in the 10-12K range and just about anything used but in good shape is way less, and Martin or Altendorf are no more used. Dave

Ralph Butts
06-01-2013, 9:17 PM
David, I am looking at a used one. It was my understanding that they only made three phase machines but this particular one is three phase. I have been looking to upgrade my Grizz 623X. I was slow to move on a mint MM SC4 and I am still regretting it. I am not thrilled about buying a three phase saw and since I went with a single phase shaper last year I don't know why I go down the RPC road now. I guess if the deal was good enough it would be worth a look. I was hoping to get some feedback on the quality of the machine. I am always looking for a good deal. I really liked the MM and may just have to ask Santa st Xmas.

David Kumm
06-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm assuming you meant to say the Panther is single phase? That really narrows the choices. If it is close to you, I would bring a dial indicator and set it on the cast iron. If the dial stays pretty consistent- it can go either up or down but not back and forth a whole lot and slides smoothly you are golden. I would also check the way the crosscut fence attaches to the slider and how it references 90. Newer saws are a little more refined that way. Should have a scorer that works. You probably know the drill and can tell whether you like it as well as any of us. Other than MM or Felder, there are few single phase options and none are truly commercial be I can be corrected. Good luck. Dave

Ralph Butts
06-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks David, this saw is three phase sorry for the confusion in my post. I guess I looking to see if this manufacturer has a good reputation or not. I had never heard of them. The price is about a third of what I would have to spend on a new MM or a Felder/Hammer. I am looking to upgrade to a slider that will last me basically forever. I am a non-commercial user. I think I will just take a drive and check it out.

David Kumm
06-02-2013, 12:07 AM
If you go commercial three phase, 4-6K gets a pretty nice SCMI SI 16, Hydro, or if you are lucky the newer si 3200. I also like the Casadei. Very similar with nice flip stops. Holz her 1243 were a nice heavy saw. Pre 95 Altendorfs if the phenolic ways are in good shape are good although the sliding table is fussy. SCMI gets a little bit of a bad rap for their ball bearing system but if the ways are good and not nicked up, the bearings and cage are pretty cheap to replace. Let us know what you find out. Dave