PDA

View Full Version : How I made my bench about a million times better...

David Wadstrup
06-01-2013, 6:31 PM
About 2 years ago I began a thread to document the building of my Benchcrafted Roubo. If you're at all curious, you can find it here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168304-A-Hand-Built-Roubo-and-the-Education-of-a-Woodworker). I very much enjoyed the process of documenting this project, especially all of the positive feedback, inspiration, and help I received from the members of Sawmillcreek. Eventually, however, I became so absorbed and overwhelmed with the actual building, that I dropped the ball on the documenting, leaving the thread totally unfinished. The bench, I'm pleased to say, has long been finished, and it's been a dream to use. I'm bringing this all up, by the way, because I recently made an upgrade to it that has literally blew my mind. Up until now I really thought of this as being the perfect bench -- by definition, not one that could be improved upon. I was wrong.

Late last year I started reading about a device that was able to convert the traditional leg vise with a pin and parallel guide to an un-pinned one. It's a chain vise kit made by Jim Ritter of Ancora Yacht Service. It sounded like it might be kind of nice to not have to bend and fiddle with the pin every time I clamped a board, so I purchased one of his kits, and recently installed it. What a difference! I totally underestimated how much more fun, how much easier using a leg vise is without have to worry about the setting of that pin each time. I can honestly say that it frees my mind up a bit when clamping -- one less thing to think about -- and that I love my bench even more than before. I can now clamp anything of any width without having to adjust the pin, without racking of any kind, and with extreme strength. And the one thing I was worried about -- that it might effect the smoothness of the vise -- turned out to be totally unfounded. The vise actually runs SMOOTHER than before, and has a fair amount more glide to it.

Anyways, I thought some of you might appreciate hearing about this. It's such a simple, easy upgrade that will totally surprise you, and make you wonder how you managed so long without it. And in case you're wondering, I have no affiliation with AYS. I am simply an incredibly satisfied customer.

And to finally tie up the loose end of my unfinished bench building thread of 2 years ago, here are a few photos. Finished bench and some other bench-like shop accessories that I made with the left over lumber. I use and love each one of them.

The finished bench:

A "bench on a bench"/Moxon vise set up that I made for up close, joinery work. It lives on the shelf below the bench:

A vise chop with attached saw vises. All I have to do is trade out my regular Moxon vise chop for this, and I'm good to sharpen:

A saw bench I built. This is incredibly useful, and so much better than saw horses. I owe credit to a couple of members of this forum for much of the design of this bench:

263522 263523

And my leg vise with the AYS Chain Vise. You'll notice that I have kept the pin in place. I don't actually use it, only keep it there for nostalgia :).

263529 263530 263531

Thanks for looking!

Peter Pedisich
06-01-2013, 6:45 PM
David,

Excellent work, all of the stuff looks great. What type of wood did you build the moxon vise from?

Pete

David Wadstrup
06-01-2013, 7:03 PM
Hi Pete,

Thank you. Everything is made of Ash. I suppose I should mention that I did end up using a jointer and thickness planer on the bench top laminates. They were, however, all cut to width with handsaws. And every other board in each of these pieces was fully cut and dimensioned using hand tools, as was every joint. The only power tool I used(except for the two used to mill the laminates) was a drill.

David

PS The laminates on the saw bench were all done by hand. As you can probably can tell when noticing how they are made up of a bunch of short pieces cobbled together.

John Powers
06-01-2013, 7:59 PM
jim posts on WOODENBOAT.COM. take a look at his website. id love to see the mast lathe in action.

Chris Hachet
06-01-2013, 8:06 PM
Nice looking bench!

george wilson
06-02-2013, 7:57 AM
MUCH too pretty to use!!!!

Ron Kanter
06-02-2013, 1:48 PM
A saw bench with a butcher block top! Very classy.
Do you use the hold downs on the saw bench for cross cuts or are they more generally useful?

John Powers
06-02-2013, 1:56 PM
are you sharpening long bucking saws? i ask because of the two TFWW saw vises side by side. im sharpening a five foot saw and its a challenge with one vise. i just touched a steel toe with a chain saw and got the fear of the lord scared into me. oddly enough craigslist often has what this cityboy just called a logging saw. not slipping over into Prospect Park in the evening to do a little moonlight lumberjacking? what a bench.

David Wadstrup
06-02-2013, 3:27 PM
Hi Ron,

I use the hold downs for long rip cuts mostly. The cross cuts usually stay put with a little weight on them. And if not, I use one of Lee Valley's planing stops to help keep the board from pivoting on me.

Hi John,

I went with the twin vise set-up so I wouldn't have to worry about moving the longer saws once I got halfway through. It's a really nice set-up, I have to say.

Kurt Cady
06-02-2013, 4:05 PM
I gotta see more information/details about the saw bench

Lloyd Robins
06-03-2013, 6:00 AM
Yes, please! More information on the saw bench.

Mike Holbrook
06-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the pictures David. I just got my Ancora Yacht kit recently too. I plan to use mine on a leg vise with Benchcrafted hardware like yours, but since mine is not made yet I have not decided exactly how I will attach mine. I have all the parts just in case. I may still use the hardware for attaching the device to the exterior of the leg. The metal parts and having the mechanism more accessible seems more attractive to me.

I love the saw bench design, it is similar to one I had been thinking about using. I may borrow from your design. I like the adjustable feet. Did you make two for low work support?

Great work!

Joe Leigh
06-03-2013, 7:33 PM
Nice post David, and a beautiful bench.

I have the Shaker version of the Benchcrafted bench. The parallel guide pin gets old quick. I wonder if the chain upgrade would work for me?

David Wadstrup
06-03-2013, 7:34 PM
Here are the details on the saw bench:

The top is pieced together cut-offs, approximately 2.25" thick. It's 47.5" long, 16.5" wide, with a 1.5" center slot running the full length. It overhangs the legs by 1" all around(this really helps with ripping along the outer edges.) There is a 10" deep slot through one of the "end rails," and a corresponding slot through the shelf below. It is 22" tall, not including the floor levelers. I'm 6'2", and the height without the levelers would have been perfect. With them, though, the whole thing is a tad taller than I would have liked. I found I really needed the levelers, though, as I live in an old brownstone and there is a 2.25" uneven slope over a span of about 3' of floor.

Mike,

I think you're going to love the chain vise -- I know I do. Is this a photo of the saw bench under construction that you mentioned? I really like the design! I love the amount of vertical clearance you have for ripping down the center. Very nice!

David Wadstrup
06-03-2013, 7:39 PM
Hi Joe,

I'm not too familiar with the construction of the Shaker bench, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I think this device would probably work with just about any leg vise out there. Give Jim Ritter a call. His contact info is here (http://ancorayachtservice.com/?page_id=42). He's incredibly helpful, and I'm sure would be happy to talk you through making it happen.

David

Kurt Cady
06-03-2013, 9:47 PM
Thanks! I looked at the cities again...really, a bench in/near the kitchen? Sweet!

Also, what levelers do you have under the big bench? I need some like that as my bench will also be outfeed for mmy table saw. How are the levelers holding up? I've been afraid levelers would get loose and fall out from the racking motions

David Wadstrup
06-05-2013, 9:14 AM
HI Kurt,

I found the levelers here (http://www.iec-corp.com/low_profile_stud.html). They are super heavy duty, and come in a range of sizes. Mine have been rock solid, holding up extremely well, even with all of the racking motions when, say, scrubbing a board down to thickness. I opted for the 1/2" posts, because this was the biggest threaded weld nut (http://www.iec-corp.com/nuts_brackets.html) with mounting holes that they had at the time. I also opted for the 1/8" thick rubber coating on the bottom. It keeps the bench gripped to the floor like you wouldn't believe -- couldn't slide it if I tried.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

David