PDA

View Full Version : Signature Medallions Follow-up **PICS**

Ken Salisbury
05-19-2005, 5:48 AM
This is a follow-up to my experiment of casting signature medallions described in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19857)

While at the swap meet Keith engraved me some new mold masters from Corian. I made a mold box which would produce 11 pieces of 2 different sizes (1st pic). I placed the masters in the mold box (2nd pic), then poured the rubber mold material (3rd pic).

I didn't get much time to play with various colors or accenting the printing. I poured 44 pieces coloring the plastic 4 different shades of brown. I experimented applying paint, shoe polish, magic marker to them to highlight the engraving. The 4th pic (sorry about the focus) is a sample of one colored and sprayed with Deft.

I have 3 more sizes of wooden medallions that I am going to make a mold for today and experiment more with the color/highlight process.

The only "real" problem I encountered was once the 2 part plastic is mixed, the time you have to pour in the mold is really short(just a few short minutes). Once poured in the mold - complete cure takes place in 15 minutes and medallions can be popped out of the mold.

I am very pleased with the process so far. More refinement is forthcoming.

If I keep this up I will even have enough medallions to "sign" my scraps before I burn them :)