PDA

View Full Version : Gizmo ID: What is this?

Walter R Butler
06-01-2013, 5:11 PM

Argh. It posted sideways. So, any ideas on what this is? It looks like it's designed to stamp out little cylinders of various sizes, or maybe tamp something down.

Thanks in advance.

ray hampton
06-01-2013, 5:33 PM
maybe a cooking press [ garlic ] potato cuttng

Gordon Eyre
06-01-2013, 6:25 PM
The farm where I lived when stationed in Germany had a larger version of that and it was used for pressing apples to make juice.

Charles McKinley
06-07-2013, 2:26 AM
I agree it looks like a mini cider press. Unless the pins come open some how I don't see how you would get anything of any height in though.

Is there a name or maker cast in to it?

Cage for a pet mouse? :D

John Coloccia
06-07-2013, 7:41 AM
Do the pins fit the hole tightly or with clearance? Are the bottoms of the pins flat or curved, and which way are they curved? Do the pins come out?

It's not a kitchen press of any kind, IMHO. You would never make a press without a catch basis of some sort. All the stuff would just leak out all over the floor. Also, the pin holes are different sizes, from small to large. You would never waste that kind of time and money unless the different size holes were somehow important to it's function.

I would guess that the pins fit with some clearance, and they're removable. Something like that could be used to stamp sheet metal into an end cap.

One funny thing that might get someone thinking, it looks like a gigantic watch jeweling tool. Maybe it's a press for installing bearings, or something like that? Or maybe removing bearings?

Kevin Bourque
06-08-2013, 5:26 PM
It's an early Beta version of the Slap-Chop.