PDA

View Full Version : Routing overhead DC hose for mobile TS

Monte Milanuk
06-01-2013, 12:02 AM
So... I've got a Ridgid 4512 hybrid TS with an Incra TS-32 fence on the factory HercuLift mobile base. I roll it around to put it away, and sometimes have to change where it is in the shop based on the size of stock I'm cutting. I recently upgraded to a SharkGuard blade guard with a 2.5" dust port, with the intent of helping to control some of the mess on the table top.

Unfortunately now that I have the guard mounted, I'm kind of stumped about how to go about routing the hose to the blade guard without having it be in the way of the cuts. Because the saw is mobile and not always in the same place even when its being used, hard mounting to the ceiling seems impractical. Right now with the 32" fence I don't have any support legs under the fence to where I'd feel comfortable attaching some sort of boom/arm to the fence rail to suspend the hose from. Given that it is an unfinished basement I can, at least temporarily, rig some sort of ad-hoc suspension from the ceiling joists but long term I'd like something that is a little more self-contained / less redneck ;)

Since making the saw stationary is out, it seems like adding some sort of legs to the TS fence to support a boom arm may be the best option. Incra does make a fairly nice set of legs that bolt right to the fence that should give plenty of support... but since they don't fold up it looks like they may start making the whole 'mobile' thing a bit awkward. I'm hoping there are others out there with mobile TS setups that have blade-guards with dust ports and overhead DC hoses that could give me some hints/examples (with pics would be nice) of how they handle it.

TIA,

Monte

Joseph Tarantino
06-01-2013, 7:41 AM
So... I've got a Ridgid 4512 hybrid TS with an Incra TS-32 fence on the factory HercuLift mobile base. I roll it around to put it away, and sometimes have to change where it is in the shop based on the size of stock I'm cutting. I recently upgraded to a SharkGuard blade guard with a 2.5" dust port, with the intent of helping to control some of the mess on the table top.

Unfortunately now that I have the guard mounted, I'm kind of stumped about how to go about routing the hose to the blade guard without having it be in the way of the cuts. Because the saw is mobile and not always in the same place even when its being used, hard mounting to the ceiling seems impractical. Right now with the 32" fence I don't have any support legs under the fence to where I'd feel comfortable attaching some sort of boom/arm to the fence rail to suspend the hose from. Given that it is an unfinished basement I can, at least temporarily, rig some sort of ad-hoc suspension from the ceiling joists but long term I'd like something that is a little more self-contained / less redneck ;)

Since making the saw stationary is out, it seems like adding some sort of legs to the TS fence to support a boom arm may be the best option. Incra does make a fairly nice set of legs that bolt right to the fence that should give plenty of support... but since they don't fold up it looks like they may start making the whole 'mobile' thing a bit awkward. I'm hoping there are others out there with mobile TS setups that have blade-guards with dust ports and overhead DC hoses that could give me some hints/examples (with pics would be nice) of how they handle it.

TIA,

Monte

FTR, i don't think the new caster set on the 4512 is referred to as a herc-u-lift:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/10-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw/

here's how one user mounted a blade guard and kept it mobile:

https://picasaweb.google.com/h20553/OverheadBladeGuard#5454255602525200418

depending on the size of the shop, and the required level of mobility, here's what i did. i used 1/2" black pipe as i had some lying around the shop. 3/4" would be much more substantial. the articulating arm reaches more than half way across my shop, serves both of my herc-u-lift mounted 10" contractor TSs and folds out of the way when not in use.

lastly, and i can't find a link for it, there was blade guard set up that mounted to the saw's fence with arms, like those connect a router fence to a router, that were adjustable so that wherever the fence was on the saw, the blade guard could still be positioned over the blade.

hope this provides soe food for thought.

Monte Milanuk
06-01-2013, 3:26 PM
Hello Joseph,

The articulated boom idea might be workable... my shop area has some central support posts that might allow a fair bit of coverage area for a boom mounted to one of them. The overhead is a bit low (7' 11" floor to joists) then light fixtures, ducting, etc. and I'm a bit on the tall side (6' 4") so maybe not as good of a solution on second thought. I'll have to look and see if maybe something off one of the walls (more out of the way and less likely to be a head-knocker) would be doable.

More what I was thinking of was something self-contained that traveled with the saw when it moved, like a collapsible or removable boom arm. Thats starting to look like a miniature engineering project in and of itself, though...

Monte

Joseph Tarantino
06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
....... I'll have to look and see if maybe something off one of the walls (more out of the way and less likely to be a head-knocker) would be doable.

mine is mounted to a side wall, i'm 6'3" and headroom is 7 1/2', with the roll up of the OH garage door to contend with.

More what I was thinking of was something self-contained that traveled with the saw when it moved, like a collapsible or removable boom arm. Thats starting to look like a miniature engineering project in and of itself, though...

Monte

humbly suggest looking at a way to mount it to the fence. mounting it to the TS, unless there is a considerable amount of structure under it, can be a challenge.

Monte Milanuk
06-02-2013, 1:01 PM
Sorry, thats what I meant. Looks like I'm going to be moving ahead with that aspect of the project unless anyone has a better idea...