PDA

View Full Version : Fun in the country

Todd Burch
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
I've caught two of these in the last 2 weeks. Seems to be a lot of mature males walking around.

This one I caught today.

Caught this bad boy (Aphonopelma Anax.) a couple weeks ago. I mailed him to Auburn to get studied. The one above will get mailed too.

Peter Pedisich
05-31-2013, 1:15 PM
I'll stay on Long Island, thanks. Crowds, rudeness, high property taxes... but no spiders like that!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2013, 1:21 PM
We saw those occasionally when I was stationed at Kingsville, TX in the '70s. I was amazed how docile they were. We would find them inside a building on base and carry them outdoors and release them.

David Weaver
05-31-2013, 1:30 PM
Nice spider. I don't think we've ever seen anything bigger than a wolf spider up here. Got one off the wall in my apartment back when I was single, wouldn't know if they're aggressive or not but they can book it high speed when they want to.

Chris Padilla
05-31-2013, 2:20 PM
I've caught two of these in the last 2 weeks. Seems to be a lot of mature males walking around.

This one I caught today.

He comes with his own quarter? I think I might have found myself a new hobby! :D

Now to search for one who comes with his own silver dollar....

Todd Burch
05-31-2013, 3:27 PM
No, Chris.... I caught the Quarter! Duh!! I'm up to 50 cents now.

Jim Matthews
05-31-2013, 5:02 PM
He comes with his own quarter? I think I might have found myself a new hobby! :D

Now to search for one who comes with his own silver dollar....

Dang! Beaten to the joke!
Curse you, Buckaroo Banzai!

Paul Saffold
05-31-2013, 5:02 PM
I had to look it up since I'd never heard of it.

From Wikipedia: Aphonopelma anax, commonly known as the Texas tan tarantula, is a species of spider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider) belonging to the family Theraphosidae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theraphosidae). The spider is very desirable as a pet, due to its docile nature. Like most Aphonopelma species, it has a very slow growth rate. The Texas Tan is one of the largest tarantulas found in the United States, as it commonly reaches a leg span of 5 inches at full maturity, and sometimes reaches 6 inches.

Rick Potter
05-31-2013, 8:55 PM
I don't know if it is an old wives tale, but I have been told that if you catch one, there will probably be another one in the same area within 24 hours. I didn't believe it, till it happened to me, about 10 years ago. Caught them in a bucket and took them out to a field. Good sized ones too.

Rattlesnakes are a different story. I have caught at least a dozen, mostly at work, some near home. They passed away. Snake sticks are your friend.
Rick Potter