PDA

View Full Version : More turnings

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Have been kept really busy lately turning. Well this is my third order to the Buffalo Bill Cultural Center. They wanted some bowls for men to put there wallets, change and keys in plus one lidded for the ladies. She also ordered 3 travel mugs. One out of maple, hickory, and walnut. Sorry didn't get pictures of the last batch that went down because it was a hurry deal but 4 lidded boxes, 4 bottle stoppers, and 3 9" platters with a barn, meadowlark, and a sunflower pyro'd on them. The tourist season has just started and I hope this doesn't get out of hand.

Roger Chandler
05-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Nice work, all of them, Bernie! May I ask what finish you used on them?

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Sorry Roger forgot that. They are all finished with target water based lacquer. So far I am really happy with it but to early to tell at this point. Jeff at Target says it is the only WB lacquer that will burn in on the previous layer.

Kathy Marshall
05-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Very nice Bernie! Looks like the BBCC is keeping you busy!

Ray Bell
05-31-2013, 1:17 AM
All very nice Bernie. When you say burn in, does that mean you use it as a friction finish?

Thom Sturgill
05-31-2013, 7:17 AM
Solvent based lacquer dissolves (burns into) the surface of the under layers so that as you build up it remains a monolithic coating. This is compared to polyurthanes, acrylics, enamels, etc where you have to abrade each layer to give it 'tooth' so that the new layer can mechanically bond to the prior layers.

This is good news as I prefer lacquer finishes, but have been disappointed by water based solutions and distressed at the fumes of conventional lacquer.

BTW, nice turnings Bernie. Glad that is working out for you with the center but don't let them over work you!!

charlie knighton
05-31-2013, 7:18 AM
very nice Bernie, you need to go corportative, enjoy

Dennis Nagle
05-31-2013, 7:53 AM
For all of you that don't know, "target" is a company that makes the product, not a the big box store. I had to look that one up.

Nice work by the way. Did you spray it on or brush it on?

jwjerry w kowalski
05-31-2013, 8:41 AM
Nice work Bernie, the finish looks like glass, all are very attractive.

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone. It definitely has been keeping me turning at least 3 to 4 days a week. This along with my antique clock restoration business keeps me out of the house and off the streets as my wife says. Thom thanks for the explanation. Yes according to Jeff at Target Coatings this is the only water based lacquer that will burn into the previous coat. So far I am liking it pretty well. As far as gloss, semi-gloss or satin out here gloss sells. I have some semi-gloss and satin items that have been sitting a year and no sales.

Dennis Nagle this finish was applied with a air brush. I bought a paasche airbrush that has a nozzle like the big ones and it sprays really nice.

bob svoboda
05-31-2013, 1:17 PM
Very nice work, Bernie and thanks for offering another finishing technique-I may have to try that-looks beautiful!

Bernie Weishapl
05-31-2013, 9:47 PM
Thanks Bob. So far I am pretty happy with the finish. I put the first couple of coats on the lathe because it is easier to sand when the grain gets raised. After that you can spray easily.

Alan Arnup
06-01-2013, 8:26 PM
Nice work Bernie, you should be very proud of them.

Well done!

Alan