PDA

View Full Version : Surprisingly hefty scrapers for a surprising price.

Brian Kent
05-30-2013, 9:36 PM
I have been wanted a heftier bowl scraper to cut vibrations - just not on the top of the purchase list. At Penn State Industries they have a set of two Benjamins Best scrapers for $55.45 including shipping. Imagine the surprise when Amazon had the same set for under $40 with tax and free shipping :D.

So I bought them, received them quickly, and can't wait to try them out.

Small one is 3/4" wide by 5/16" thick.
Large one is 1" wide by 3/8" thick. Both are the exact thickness as advertised.
Surprised by the rip-stop nylon carrying case.
Nicely sized handles.

Up until now I have a 2 rounded scrapers, 3/16" thick and 1/4", so both are a step up. I plan to grind them at 70°. Doug Thompson calls it 20°.

Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2013, 9:40 PM
Brian,

You will enjoy the extra mass when using that wide scraper!

Dick Mahany
05-30-2013, 9:57 PM
For that price, I'd buy them just for the HSS tool steel and reshape them to suit what ever custom tools I need next !

Brian Kent
05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I thought of that too, Dick. Good idea.

Dennis Nagle
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
For that price you can buy two sets and grind one left and one right.

Dennis Nagle
05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Just checked. they have two sets, used, for $24

Brian Kent
05-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Not bad, Dennis. And free shipping if you add another $1 to the order!

Dennis Nagle
05-30-2013, 11:38 PM
I'd be all over it if I needed scrappers. I'm sure someone could find a little do-dad for a buck too..

Thom Sturgill
05-31-2013, 7:06 AM
I have used that set for several years. I also have some of the Sorby Extra Heavy scrapers - they are a full 1/2" thick! The BB scrapers will take and keep a fine edge. I polished the top side like I would a bench chisel and use the Veritas scraper burnisher to roll a burr.

That is screwed down to the bench behind my lathe so that it is handy to use. I can generally touch up the burr a couple of times before re-flattening the top and/or touching it to the grinding wheel.

Michael Stafford
05-31-2013, 9:11 AM
I bought some of those to have extras for use in my classes. I was disappointed in the quality of the wood used for the handles as I had 3 split during class. I think the handles are too short and made from cheap wood. I ended up removing all the handles and replacing them with good old American oak which provided more mass and strength.

The steel seems to be fine and I have no complaints about it. You can't beat the price.

Like Thom says it is a good idea to polish the top surface as that will improve the quality of your burr. And I also love 1/2" thick scrapers. I have 1/2" thick by 1/2" wide half round that I just love for scoops.

Jim Underwood
05-31-2013, 12:03 PM
Y'all musta snapped those up. I can't find 'em on Amazon now. Nice set of scrapers!

Brian Kent
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Here you go, Jim:
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-Products-LCSIDE2-Scraper/dp/B000N4LR2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370016749&sr=8-1&keywords=psi+scraper

And one used for $28:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000N4LR2I/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=1370016749&sr=8-1

Kyle Iwamoto
05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
I have that set too. I was also pleasantly surprised at the quality for that price. While you are checking it out, take a look at the jumbo 2 inch spindle roughing gouge, I like that tool too. I dont think it removes more wood, but since it is huge, there are a lot of areas to cut with before you need to sharpen.

Reed Gray
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
They look like good scrapers. I don't use much more then 1 inch wide because I can stall my Beauty with them, no problem. I also use a 70 degree bevel. I do generally hone off the old burr before grinding a new one. If you have the CBN wheels, no need to burnish a burr. When I do burnish one, I use a triangle card scraper tool. Works just fine. Most of my scrapers are swept back to the left side, also called inside bowl scrapers. I do have an old one that is an outside scraper, and swept back to the left. I only use it to true up the top of the bowl blank when I am turning the outside of the bowl. A round nose will do the job just fine. When I am cleaning up the bottom of my boxes, I have been using the fluteless gouges from Doug, rolled onto the sides at about 45 degrees. Great shear cuts.

robo hippy

John Keeton
05-31-2013, 2:36 PM
One of PSI's best bargains is their 3/4" Square nose scraper (http://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LX140&Store_Code=PS&showreviews=1&Session_ID=c59a4ad11bb176ceae3aed767d673617)for $16.50. It is a nice, hefty tool, as well, and can be ground to an endless variety of shapes. I ground one for inside and one for outside shear cuts, and it is nice to have a couple around for dedicated uses.

At some point, I bought the 1.5" round nose scraper, and have yet to find a good use for it. It has its own corner in one of my drawers - just too large for my purposes.

Prashun Patel
05-31-2013, 3:05 PM
I may be the only one here, but I've found BB's to be hit or miss on quality. I have a 1/2" bowl gouge that is pretty darn good. But my 3/8" and 5/8" hold an edge worse than a drunk skater. Curious to see how you fare.

Brian Kent
05-31-2013, 4:32 PM
I have just sharpened the smaller scraper and used it on one bowl. That one is a hit, and not a "drunk skater".

Thom Sturgill
05-31-2013, 5:40 PM
I may be the only one here, but I've found BB's to be hit or miss on quality. I have a 1/2" bowl gouge that is pretty darn good. But my 3/8" and 5/8" hold an edge worse than a drunk skater. Curious to see how you fare.

I've heard that before on the gouges, but most reports on the scrapers have liked them. One user reported that it seems to have to do with the quality of the hardening/tempering process rather than the steel itself, and I can easily believe that.

John Keeton
05-31-2013, 5:43 PM
...hold an edge worse than a drunk skater.First time I have heard this analogy - the mental image made me laugh, Prashun!:D

Mel Fulks
05-31-2013, 6:30 PM
I've always thought that when you bought something made of M2 that it was made of stock already hardened and ready to use .But maybe I just got that impression from using the knife stock for making machine knives.

Thom Sturgill
05-31-2013, 8:23 PM
I've always thought that when you bought something made of M2 that it was made of stock already hardened and ready to use .But maybe I just got that impression from using the knife stock for making machine knives.

When I buy drill rod for tools, it comes annealed and I have to harden it, which is why I prefer A2 for that. When a factory buyes steel it is usually annealed so that they can easily shape it by stamping, grinding or milling. They then harden and anneal it or send it to another foundry to do that for them. If the temperatures and times are not carefully controlled the results can be variable. If you are buying hardened stock, it pays to buy from a reliable source.

Now back to your regular thread :)