PDA

View Full Version : Slow speed grinder

Steve Hudson
05-30-2013, 4:32 PM
I am looking to buy a new slow speed grinder for sharpening lathe tools and am having a hard time finding an affordable one since Woodcraft won't be getting any new ones in until August. I am currently using a high speed grinder with the stock gray wheels and am just messing up tools and not getting a decent edge. I know I need a slow grinder or atleast some AO wheels.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

John King
05-30-2013, 6:34 PM
Checkout the Scheppach 8" slow speed grinder at Craft Supplies http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/7/-/21/149/-/5843/Scheppach-8%2522-Slow-Speed-Grinder. - John

Justin Hemphill
05-30-2013, 6:53 PM
Unfortunately, they don't look to have that model in stock until August either. -- The old (read: experienced, not discriminating by age here!) gentlemen in my turners guild swear that they sold the Tormek in the shop because no one bothered using it. If you're careful with the tools, use light strokes/pressure and jigs, the hard grinder will work just fine. I took a few of my tools down to the open shop and had one of those experienced folks show me how to sharpen them. Helped me tremendously.

Thom Sturgill
05-30-2013, 7:10 PM
FWIW, if you jump to the CBN wheels, I understand that you can use a standard 3600 RPM grinder without burning. The wheels are expensive, but if you are looking at new grinder just because of the speed of your current setup, this might not be too expensive an option. Go to D-way tools and watch Dave's video on installing them.

David C. Roseman
05-30-2013, 7:32 PM
Steve, fyi, if the Woodcraft slow-speed grinder is what you're looking for, there are several new ones listed on ebay right now for under $100 with shipping.

David

John Sanford
05-30-2013, 7:45 PM
DeWalt has a new 8" variable speed grinder that runs as low as 2,000 rpm. I saw it in my local Lowes, probably available in yours as well.

Steve Hudson
05-30-2013, 8:47 PM
Forgot to mention that my current grinder is 6" so I will be getting an 8" one. Does anyone know anything about the Scheppech grinders? I can get that from Grainger at contractor pricing.
thanks for the feedback!
steve

Brian Ashton
05-31-2013, 1:38 AM
If you want a truly slow speed grinder you will need to build it yourself. Mine will go from 0 to ~ 6000rpm. A mandrel and tool rest from Lee Valley, a VFD, 3ph motor and a few other bits and you will have the best grinder going. The other option is to get a mandrel for the outboard side of the lathe (if you have a outboard tool rest setup...) and give it a go that way. I did that for a couple decades before I built my slow speed grinder and it worked quite well. I think you'll be quite surprised at how well your grinding skills increase and what you can do at 300rpm as opposed to what you can do at 1800 or 3000.