PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an economical laser engraver to be used in a high school technology class

Kirk marshall
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Over the past few years I have been looking for a laser engraver that could be used in a high school technology classroom. We would be using the laser to enhance some of the woodworking projects we currently make in addition to designing and creating laser cut projects. The laser would be used by high school students under the careful eye of their teacher...

I have looked at Epilog, Universal, Trotec and a number of the glass tube models. As a public high school we can't / won't purchase items off of Ebay for security reasons. We also will not attempt to order a laser from China directly. Every time the laser request makes it to the budget meetings, it gets cut due to the high ticket price. This year, I have a little over $5000 to purchase this elusive laser engraver. However, I can't afford to make a bad decision so I'm hoping for some user feedback that might guide me to the laser promised land file:///C:\DOCUME~1\KMARSH~1.BAS\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip 1\01\clip_image001.gif

I am able to purchase used equipment as long as I can provide comparable pricing to prove the value of the laser machine. This normally drops me into the early 2000 models of Epilog and Universal that are in the 25watt range. What I need to know is an Epilog or Universal 25watt machine the same as a 25watt glass tube laser? Basically, are all lasers rated similarly?

The new machines that have caught my interest and have offices in the United States are Boss Laser, Full Spectrum Laser, MorntechUSA and RabbitLaserUSA. Each of these companies have similar machines, but service, technical support, replacement parts, computer interface are the big determining factors I’m hoping experienced uses on this forum might be able to help me with.

Thank you for your help in this matter,

Kirk

Rodne Gold
05-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Hi Kirk , welcome
I wouldn't buy a glass tubed chinese made laser for a high school tech class..I would be totally anally concerned over safety to the Nth degree and wouldn't take a chance what with kids and their inexperience/curiosity , buy an established american made machine..

Dan Hintz
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Excepting Chinese machines (Rabbit has a decent rep, Full Spectrum has a terrible rep... search here for threads on each), that $5k budget guarantees you'll have to pick up a used system (though you might try convincing ULS / Epilog / Trotec, etc. giving you an educational rate on a new machine). A new machine, even the smallest, will already be above the $5k mark, and that's before things like shipping/handling are added. I don't think you need to go back to '00 for that price, but expect a few years worth of use.

Typically, Chinese glass tubes work at their rated power (or close enough)... Western RF tubes generally work above their rated power, sometimes by up to +20%.

Kirk marshall
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the information about the wattage output. I had no idea how hte wattages compared in real world cutting and engraving. I have tried to stay in the Universal and epilog market, but their price tags are way over the current educational budget we have to follow these days. Are the glass tubes normally enclosed in a separate part of the cabinet or are they right in the open "machining" section. I've seen the Universal and Epilog machines in action at educational trade shows... but I've always been told to stay away from the imported lasers because they are nowhere close in performance and precision to the US models.

Anyone hear of or own a Boss Laser?

Thanks for the input... please feel free to comment both pros and con on the laser companies mentioned above.

However, due to budget, a new imported model might compare similar to a 10year old American model.

Steve Busey
05-30-2013, 1:34 PM
Kirk, you didn't say what part of the country you're in - that might help folks locate something for you.

Also, have you considered a kickstarter.com type fundraiser to boost your budget? Not sure how that would play with the school board, but might be worth a shot since this purchase is a bit out-of-the-box for them.

AL Ursich
05-30-2013, 1:44 PM
I believe the best option is one of the top 4 US Manufactures... And New not used... The Laser Tube Failure later could kill the program...

I also believe that looking for Alternate Sources of Money is the way to go.... Call it Matching Funds...

Get the Students involved in making money for the project in the many ways they have supported Class Trips for years....

Ask the local Community for support and use a Plaque in the Technology Department to recognize the support...

Ask the Manufactures for a Education Price...

Ask Corel Draw for a Educational Package...

Ask Laser Product Suppliers for a Donation... The Technology Class will be planting the seeds of future Customers.

Good Luck,

AL

Mike Null
05-30-2013, 2:01 PM
If you read carefully about the Chinese lasers you'll see that there is a good bit of hands on tweaking, adjusting, looking for help with pc interfaces, software or with drivers and everybody says buy an extra tube.

That said, I think you'd be wasting your money to buy Chinese for your application.

Get more money and buy a mainstream machine.

Kirk marshall
05-30-2013, 2:19 PM
Obviously, Universal and Epilog are on top of my list, but the $15,000 to $20,000 price tag for a new machine large enough to be useful is not in the picture. We are located in Bloomsburg, PA and Pennsylvania currently has a governor that has made it his goal to kill public education during his time in office. So if anyone knows anyone looking to part with a machine in that neck of the woods, I would be very interested in what they might have.

I have used similar programs like Kickstarter, but the real actuality is, if you're from a rural district without any major corporations close by... no one is all that interested in contributing top our cause. Over the past 15 years, I have "acquired" a Techno-Isel CNC router and we have a retrofitted Grizzly benchtop milling machine with CNC which works awesome! We also have 15 seats of MasterCAM which is also rather nice to work with (http://www.mastercam.com/teachersstudents/instructorscorner/Articles/Articles2.aspx) - a good link to what we are all about... But finding a laser has been really difficult.

Schools don't operate at all like businesses. It's like a mini governent model... everything cost more than it really should :-(

Kirk

Mike Null
05-30-2013, 2:32 PM
Trotec (Rayjet), Epilog and Universal all have new equipment under $10,000.

Kirk marshall
05-30-2013, 2:34 PM
Public schools can't save budgeted money from year to year... Actually the money I was hoping to use is from an Alcoa Foundation Grant that we were awarded to build a full sized robot combat arena. (talk about cool programs, building combative robots similar to BattleBots, is really fun way for kidds to learn about engineering without them even realizing how much they are actually learning) We build everything for the arena from scratch saving a lot of money. With the "extra funds" we are hoping to get our program a usable laser. It might not be the "best" model, but it should be one we can use, modify and hopefully upgrade in the future at some point.

Richard Rumancik
05-30-2013, 3:42 PM
Kirk, don't forget about the need for a proper power source and exhaust system. You might be lucky and have a suitable outlet; you should still add a high quality TVSS (i.e surge suppressor) at a minimum. If your maintenance department can install the exhaust blower you could save a few dollars but if you need to bring in electricians and contractors they will eat into your budget.

Dennis Watson
05-30-2013, 4:58 PM
You mentioned Rabbit Laser and did you notice Ray is located in Ohio USA and he keeps lasers in stock with support and parts. If you read his site, he offers discounts for education also.
I am about to buy one of his 80 watt machines.

Steve Busey
05-30-2013, 5:00 PM
In the spirit of technology learning (and if these kids can tackle robots, they could tackle this) how about a homemade laser engraver?

http://hacknmod.com/hack/diy-mini-desktop-laser-engraver/

Kirk marshall
05-30-2013, 5:50 PM
I'm game to give the homemade laser a go... but having a professional machine would make fabricating parts so much easier. The engineering involved in designing a homemade laser would be rather interesting and somewhat motivating. We are looking at the RepRap 3D printer too for that matter. These are great engineering activities where you can design and create machines that actually work. However... having a professional machine is the real answer right now. But thanks for the link... it's been added to my bookmarks!

Jerome Stanek
05-30-2013, 9:14 PM
I just got home from the NBM show and stopped off at Rabbit laser office and store They just got a nice shipment of lasers in. Nice people to talk with and they did some demo cuts for me. I am having them work up some prices now.

Jeff Woodcock
05-31-2013, 6:21 AM
I'm game to give the homemade laser a go... but having a professional machine would make fabricating parts so much easier. The engineering involved in designing a homemade laser would be rather interesting and somewhat motivating. We are looking at the RepRap 3D printer too for that matter. These are great engineering activities where you can design and create machines that actually work. However... having a professional machine is the real answer right now. But thanks for the link... it's been added to my bookmarks!

If you do consider a home or school made laser, there is allot of information in this thread even a pdf link in post #13 with some instructions and components needed to build one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203448-Laser-Engraving-True-8bit-Shades-of-Grey

Laser diodes and there Watt power ratings have came a long way. Also, there is a 15W TTL modulated 808nm laser available that can be easily mounted onto a CNC router that would make an easy project to construct and still keep your cost down. Do a search on eBay for "15000mw 808nm" It will cut some materials and has a 5000 hour life expectancy.

You can then use an open source controller program like Mach3 and will not be limited to proprietary software constraints. Mach3 has built in wizards to generate the gcodes easily within the same program and a plugin to engrave images also.

By using a CNC router, you could get a larger material capacity and it will double it's capabilities by either using the laser or a rotary spindle. Just a suggestion.

Steve Busey
05-31-2013, 7:48 AM
Kirk, check your PM (Private Messages)

Brian R Cain
05-31-2013, 8:11 AM
Here in the UK, schools have been using laser cutting and engraving machines in their technology classrooms for around 12 years. I would guess that around 1/4 of UK secondary schools now have them, some have several. Those that don't, would invariably have one on their wish list, but like you, can't get the funding agreed. Some have been able to get agreement to lease them, that might be an option for you to consider.

The quality of students' work varies quite a bit from school to school. Some is outstanding and some is pretty basic. Quite a few schools have examples on their websites. I understand from Universal that the UK education market for laser cutters is somewhat unique as countries go, but there's a reason behind it. State schools had to follow a national curriculum and within that curriculum was the requirement to teach CAD-CAM. For a while, schools tried using CNC routers and the like, but these were never really successful due to budgetary constraints forcing them to by Mickey Mouse machines, complexity of use and the time it took to run the jobs. Eventually, someone decided that a laser cutter would tick all the curriculum boxes and get the throughput of work that was required and before you knew it, word spread like wildfire.

The advice I would give you is to strengthen your case by organising some projects with your students that will show the powers that be how useful the machine will be.

Have a chat with the Universal and Epilog reps to see if they would bring a machine to the school for a day's demo based around cutting out students' designs. I supply these machines and have done this on several occasions. It can be a real game changer for teachers hoping to get funding.

The trick is to have everything prepared in advance. Make sure there are not going to be any file compatibility issues, find out which machine the rep will bring and have all the materials you are going to need sawn and ready for use. Keep the designs simple so you can show how productive it will be. The rep should have more complex samples.

With a bit of organisation, you could turn it into an event where you invite parents, local businesses and the like who might be prepared to sponsor a machine.

I agree entirely with Rodne about glass tubed machines in schools. On other safety issues such as the risk of fire, Universal has the edge, at least with their latest machines.

Kirk marshall
05-31-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey Brian,

The school system over there is so much better in many ways than it is over here in the states. We travelled to England twice to compete in the F1 in Schools program sponsored by Andrew Denford. We had to show you guys some real American know-how... We won the International event in 2005 and placed 3rd in 2006 (I think those were the dates). That competition was designed to excite students about engineering, race car design and CNC manufacturing, but many of the teams used outside company support to do their machining and design...

Our yearly budgets would never allow a purchase of a decent Universal or Epilog machine. In either case, by the time you got all the things you need to have a good machine set up to run, you are looking at a $15,000 purchase. One year the district approved the rotary attachemnt, the blower and the compressor... but cut the machine. You have to scratch your head at times...

I have great support from local industry, but not the kind of support where any of them are going to drop $10,000 for a laser machine. The recession really has hurt this part of the country and eventhough we are better off right now, companies are trying to re-invest in their own businesses rather than donate to public schools.

Thanks for the message... I think it would be fun to teach over there for a year :-)

Kirk

Martin Boekers
06-01-2013, 4:09 PM
Remember if you decide to go with a Rayjet (Trotec) SMC members get a discount from them.

Have you called and talked with Epilog, Trotec or ULS. (not just a rep but the factories) and let
them know what you want to use it for, they may be able to set you up with a good price on a demo.
Just a thought. it never hurts to ask...

Ron Philman
12-25-2013, 6:27 PM
Interested in what machine you decided to go with?

John Bion
12-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I would strongly recomend you do not get a Chinese machine - that is unless you desire the students to learn everything about a laser (everything from how to re-tap threads to getting the computer and machine to comunicate) and not just Cad/cam tech.
I am with Rodney (and Dave S in a previous post) that saftey is insuficient for this audience.
kind regards,
John

Paul Steiner
01-07-2014, 1:05 PM
Kirk,
The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question. I am a high school teacher and my school just got a FS laser this year. We love it, no issues thus far. I completely understand your budget issues and after all of my research we could only afford a Chinese laser also. Yes the FS laser is a tube chinese laser but it works great for us. Also I can call tech. support and a person picks up the phone usually on the first ring. BTW we use it for robots also.

Scott Shepherd
01-07-2014, 1:27 PM
The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question.

I'd change that to read that some people don't read the posts. His questions were answered by a number of people, multiple times, as well as people sending him Private Messages about it.

How that statement can be made on this thread confuses me greatly. Seemed like it was VERY informative and very helpful.

Mike Null
01-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I have resolved to try to make my responses for 2014 kinder and gentler. Therefore I will refrain from response in this instance.

Doug Griffith
01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
The biggest problem with this forum is that no one answers the question.

If you want an answer, Google it. If you want advice and opinions from real-world users, read through the posts and derive the answer from the collective knowledge here.

Ron Philman
05-18-2014, 2:03 PM
May be a moot point by now and hope whatever machine you got ..know that its forward thinking of you to get a laser machine to begin with. I've reviewed and spoke with a lot of laser companies and to the contrary of some above I'd recommend an imported/USA machine. Especially if its going to be in a high school environment year after year. I've found Boss Laser impressive, and they offer discounts for schools. FS has a hobby laser worth checking out but support is in question in my opinion. Universal and Epilog may have more upscaled machines but I would be nervous about putting that nice of a machine in a high school environment for sure.

Bill Stearns
05-18-2014, 4:07 PM
Hey All -

I hate to come off sounding like a "stick 'n the mud" - but, just wondering? - while it's certainly wonderful that students learn 'bout engraving - anybody have 'problem with their workshops (potentially) taking business 'way from local engraving shops? - 'least with products that schools might order? (i.e. signs, office & desk accessories - especially, awards & plaques, etc.) I've been told our local schools use their gear only for "training purposes", but I question this. Anybody know if schools have rules pertaining to "competing" with local businesses? If they are; wonder if anyone has ever brought this to the school's attention?

Bill

Matt McCoy
05-18-2014, 5:47 PM
Hey Bill: As you probably know, a laser can be used for so much more than engraving awards and plaques. Many schools have lasers as part of a digital fabrication program that enables students to build some pretty amazing things. You will find designers, engineers, architects, and woodworkers using them to create prototypes and finished products for a variety of projects. I would expect that we will see a lot more programs like these as more and more passionate enthusiasts spearhead the 3rd Industrial Revolution. These evangelists are tirelessly working to deliver cheaper machines and low-cost -- even free -- software to help young people get involved in the maker movement. In many larger cities, you will find fab labs in schools, libraries, maker spaces, and community centers.

I doubt there are rules at your local schools to regulate competition with local businesses. If you see these programs as a threat, you'll have to push yourself to do better work than high school and college kids. Utilize your experience as an engraver and a businessman to woo potential clients and hopefully your business will expand at a nice pace.

Hope this helps.

Bert Kemp
05-18-2014, 8:16 PM
I think it would be a good thing if the students took some of the burden off the tax payer by producing some of their own awards and plaques for their own school only. Instead of paying an engraving company to do it which comes out of the school budget and is payed by us the tax payer. Lowering school budgets for stuff like that leaves more money for education. It would also give the makers and receivers a sense of pride and satisfaction. Hey The laser shop made these awards for my baseball team here at our school aren't they awesome.
Ya know most schools have wood shops, machine shops, auto shops and the like, and I never hear any cabinet makers, auto garages or local machines shops worrying about the school taking their business.
I really don't think any engraver has to worry about the local high school engraving shop taking his business, if he does maybe the engraving business is not right for him.:) JMHO

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2014, 8:35 AM
but I would be nervous about putting that nice of a machine in a high school environment for sure.

A new $40k laser is a lot less than a wrongful death suit because a student wanted to know what 45,000 volts feels like. Local supplied Chinese are good if they are purchased from somebody like Ray Scott, direct imports or unknown local sellers are a law suit waiting to happen.
Take a look at the direct vent slots cut into many direct machines....that puts them firmly in class IV rather than the Class II of a normal cabinet machine. A class IV laser and school kids? may as well just let them play in the local traffic at rest periods.

cheers

Dave

Matt McCoy
05-19-2014, 9:24 AM
Dave, I don't disagree with you, but do you think it would be any more dangerous than tools typically found in schools like table saws, band saws, routers, nail guns, welding equipment, car lifts, etc.?

Also, I just noticed you are fixing-up a pretty old house. I hope you will share pics!

Bill George
05-19-2014, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the information about the wattage output. I had no idea how hte wattages compared in real world cutting and engraving. I have tried to stay in the Universal and epilog market, but their price tags are way over the current educational budget we have to follow these days. Are the glass tubes normally enclosed in a separate part of the cabinet or are they right in the open "machining" section. I've seen the Universal and Epilog machines in action at educational trade shows... but I've always been told to stay away from the imported lasers because they are nowhere close in performance and precision to the US models.

Anyone hear of or own a Boss Laser?

Thanks for the input... please feel free to comment both pros and con on the laser companies mentioned above.

However, due to budget, a new imported model might compare similar to a 10year old American model.

Before I retired I was teaching at a community college near where I live. I made it a point to contact manufactures reps in our area to let them know I was looking for equipment donations. New, used or whatever I would consider. The non working stuff was taken apart and used for teaching moments on how things worked. By the time 12 years had passed I was running out of room to keep stuff! It would be nice to have a USA made machine used, demo whatever as long as it worked and the manufacture was willing to provide info that could be copied and used in the class room for teaching. Same as DVD's and video training ads. It also would be nice to have a good brand Chinese machine, because they will encounter those in the field.

I was teaching HVAC/R, and came from a commercial background in it and electrical controls.

PS Some High School shop classes have PlasmaCAM CNC plasma cutters and CNC milling machines. There are ads in the newspapers all the time for skilled trades persons, as CNC machinists and more. The high schools assumed everyone was going to college and dismantled their shop classes. Wrong. Manufacturing is coming back to the US and we need skilled people to operate the equipment.

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2014, 9:38 AM
Also, I just noticed you are fixing-up a pretty old house. I hope you will share pics!

Hiya Matt :)

On the lasers, Chinese are safe and reliable IF they are prepped by a reputable company like HPC here in the Uk or Ray Scott at Rabbit over in the US. Outside of that they can be a nightmare ;)

cheers

Dave

John Bion
05-19-2014, 9:44 AM
it is irresistible to ask whether Dave forgot the exponential factor regarding expense and fixing up old houses?:D

I guess part of the problem with a Chinese laser machine in a school setting is the appearance of safety - which is sometimes more dangerous than the readily apparent danger of a sharp blade.

Cheers John

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2014, 10:56 AM
Pretty much John ;)

Bill Stearns
05-19-2014, 11:21 AM
MATT -
I was just asking (not so much worrying) 'bout whether school shops regularly engrave signs, awards 'n plaques - up 'n above for training and educational purposes? 'Stead of schools purchasing these items from local engraving shops, like mine. And, if anyone knew, for sure, this was happening to any real degree? Suppose I could simply contact a shop-teacher and ask, uh? Not the end-of-the-world. Just feel that, while I like to understand why I'm making sales, I also feel it's important that I understand why I am not. (why, while some school teams 'n groups turn to me, so many others aren't?) Ultimately, it's of far greater importance that our students are being well-trained, today, than that I make 'few more sales. (thanks for the attitude adjustment!)

Bill

Clark Pace
05-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Chinese made, but US supported. $3295. also you might ask. I'm sure some companies have a discount for schools. also you might not have to pay tax if it is for a school. Some things to think about.

http://www.hurricanelasers.net/storm

.net NOT .com .com is fslaser owned.

Dan Hintz
05-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Chinese made, but US supported. $3295. also you might ask. I'm sure some companies have a discount for schools. also you might not have to pay tax if it is for a school. Some things to think about.

hurricanelasers

.net NOT .com .com is fslaser owned.
I have never recommended fslaser, but after some people got bit recently with no delivery of their Hurricane, I can't recommend them, either.

Scott Shepherd
05-19-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't get the "hurricane laser" thing, naming models after hurricanes. Hurricanes that killed a lot of people. They have a Katrina model as well. Seems like a HORRIBLE marketing decision. I see several of their models than wiped out out areas over my lifetime and took lives. Seems like they could do a MUCH better jobs with names than that line of thinking.

Dave Sheldrake
05-19-2014, 4:09 PM
I dunno so much Scotty, I was thinking of naming my next game accessory series "Dahmer" and "Berkowitz" ;) (doh!!)

For Chinese made / American supplied machines it's Ray Scott every time, outside of being a very knowledgeable chap he's a real nice guy with it that LOVES his work....and it shows in the extra mile he goes for anybody he deals with. When I have needed bits on the hop that Chris at HPC didn't have to hand Ray has gotten them to me in a couple of days from the other side of the big pond.

Can't recommend him highly enough to be honest.

cheers

Dave

Matt McCoy
05-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Dave: Real cool. Good luck with your renovation.

Bill: No offense meant and no attitude adjustment intended.

Scott: I agree. The name Hurricane is innocuous enough, but probably poor taste to name models after devastating storms where many lives and much property were lost.

What recommended adjustments would need to be made to make Chinese lasers classroom-ready?

BTW: Just saw a post on another forum that there might be new trouble for Hurricane Laser. If anyone is interested in its products, you might want to consider due diligence.

David Somers
05-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Matt,

I am just taking a stab at what might be some good precautions to take. I have been looking hard at getting a Chinese laser and know I will do it once I have all my ducks in a row. Just a matter of when. But keep in mind I don't have one in hand as I give you these suggestions. Dave Sheldrake might be an excellent source for thoughts on Chinese Lasers. As would Rodney? And lastly, A few folks have mentioned Rabbit Laser USA and Ray? He is likely who I will purchase through. I have been nibbling around the edges of lots of companies as I worked on this and he seems to be a few notches above everyone else. Just my personal take on this.

Anyway.....For a school environment. I would physically secure the machine by making sure there is a power lock on it. I noticed some Chinese machines don't have them. And obviously it should have a large, well placed panic shutoff button.

You want to be sure it has a functional lid and door interlocks so the lid can't be opened without shutting off the beam. Those are easily overridden with a magnet and I am afraid I don't know how to safeguard against that, but you at least want that interlock in place and functioning.

I would add, or be sure the door that exposes the tube comes with keyed locks on it so the tube cannot be exposed. Dave Sheldrake might suggest some other places that should be secured as well.

You might ask Scott (Steve) Shepard if he would share some of his "fire' photos with you along with any fire tales for use when you impress on the kids the need to be right with the machine and paying atention the entire time it is running. Others likely have them too. There was a thread by Scott that covered just this issue if you want to search for it. And be sure you have appropriate extinguishers by the machine. It might also be worth showing them what a fire looks like from Acrylic, which can be difficult to see. The best comparison I could make is that it is like flame from an alcohol burner? Can anyone out there make a better comparison? The important point is it is not likely to be a bright yellow, highly visible flame. And go over how they avoid flaming in the first place. Get them hooked on best practices. You might also think about how directly they will be supervised during a run? In some ways, the risk of flame is sort of comparable to the risk of injury from a sharp saw; table saw, band saw, etc. Might be worth examining how the folks teaching those skills are approaching those risks and see if they can be applied to the laser. A good, certified safety professional might also be willing to look at the setup and make suggestions.

I might also make sure the limit switches in the device are working to protect the head as it flies around with the gantries.

Perhaps folks here can suggest some "best practices" that you can get the class to follow that would help minimize risk to the kids, and risk to the machine? That could range from operating advice to design advice as they prep their files on whatever software you are going to use.

And lastly, you might look around town or in neighboring cities and see if there are any maker shops near you. They will likely have a laser in their shop. And they are very used to working with newbies and may be able to help you with advice on how to protect the users and your machine, yet get them up to operating speed fairly quickly and safely. If you are not familiar with maker shops check around nearby colleges and universities. The "maker" culture tends to have lots of adherents in those areas and the first shops in a community often crop up near those schools. Another hot spot for them are areas where young professionals live. Folks who are living in apartments and have no shop space of their own. In Seattle on such area is around all the tech and biotech industries around the Lake Union area. Lots of young folks living in apartments with no shop space of their own, but a real desire to learn and try out ideas.

I love to see this kind of thing done in schools. Too many schools have taken to trying to save money by scrapping things like "industrial arts" and music and even things like sewing and cooking and basic home economics. They may not be at the heart of the academic core, but they are certainly VERY worthwhile in terms of helping kids prepare for life beyond the school. The shop and home ec classes I had in Junior High and High School did a lot for me in terms of giving me confidence to tackle anything I wanted, and gave me some exposure to stuff I might never have considered otherwise. My love of woodturning today came from High School, though I was in my early 40's before I was able to act on it. This type of exposure has benefits that last through your life.

Sorry...preaching to the choir I think! But I do feel strongly about this and wish you all the best in this adventure!!!!

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Just read the same Matt and doesn't look good :(

Classroom ready..in no particular order that spring to mind.

1: No direct line of sight to any part of the beam focussed or otherwise

2: Radiation warning stickers where required

3: Proper and coded earthing to all metallic parts

4: Supplied correct OD glasses to all users in the vicinity

5: Lockable power switch to main machine

6: Earthing of moving metal doors on machine cabinet (very few are as supplied)

7: Interlocks that cannot easily be bypassed to cabinet lid to prevent firing of laser when lid open

8: Locking section to tube mounting area with keys stored securely

9: Fire suppression as required (internally in or by the machine)

cheers

Dave

Just saw Dave's post, he's got it covered :)

Matt McCoy
05-20-2014, 2:13 PM
Except #4, do the popular non-Chinese brands meet this criteria?

Would you recommend the same for a CNC or similar equipment or power tools in a classroom environment?

Thanks.

Matt McCoy
05-20-2014, 2:15 PM
David: Thanks for the detailed post. I hope it can help those interested in setting up a classroom lab.

Dave Sheldrake
05-20-2014, 8:17 PM
With US made or distributed you will be pretty much ok, Ray @ Rabbit has supplied plenty machines into school environments and the big western names will all be to spec.

A direct machine and some distributor machines will not meet ANY of the requirements so can be a real nightmare. If you do go chinese then you really need something from a reputable US based company with good history and checkable background (Rabbit)

cheers

Dave

Ron Philman
05-20-2014, 10:19 PM
The new machines that have caught my interest and have offices in the United States are Boss Laser, Full Spectrum Laser, MorntechUSA an

Great experience with sales and techs at Boss. Talking with Mike they offer discounts to educational inst. and can fly out and do a training work shop if needed not sure the cost. Im working towards a 16x30 as its more of a hybrid with US optics & Engrave Lab sofware.
FS is not for me. Rumors floating around on CNC Zone say Hurricane has been indicted on criminal charges now?

Automation Technology
05-20-2014, 10:58 PM
I think this machine is good for the high school too.

Pls check here for detail.

STORM: CO2 Laser Cutter and Engraver 35W, about 22″ x 14″
http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/laser-engraving/35w-co2-laser-machine-19-7%e2%80%b3-x-11-8%e2%80%b3#sthash.lOUswqHo.dpuf

Clark Pace
05-20-2014, 11:13 PM
So when I was looking to buy a laser I came across this company. Another U.S. based company with china parts, but I called and they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Anyone purchase from them?

https://www.bosslaser.com/index.php/co2-laser-cutter-engraver-machines?ibp-adgroup=adwords&ibp-keyword=laser%20cutter&ibp-matchtype=e&gclid=CPuEssaFvL4CFZRcfgodxikAmQ

Bert Kemp
05-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Hiya Matt :)

On the lasers, Chinese are safe and reliable IF they are prepped by a reputable company like HPC here in the Uk or Ray Scott at Rabbit over in the US. Outside of that they can be a nightmare ;)

cheers

DaveI'm really jealous Dave I would love a place like that to fix up, must be a lot of history in that house.

Mike Null
05-22-2014, 7:02 AM
Ron

Have you read previous threads relative to Engravlab software? I'm just curious why anybody would spend so much for so little.