PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 3520B will not spin

kevin nee
05-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Good morning, I went out to turn this morning pulled the on off switch out turned the speed dial and nothing.
The RPM reads 0 and increases when I turn it by hand. Unpluged it pushed the reset still nothing. I then called
WMT they told me to unplug it push the reset still nothing. We had a storm and a power failure last night. The inverter has no reading theTech says I cooked the inverter and need a new one. $499 from WMT do I
have any other options on getting replacement parts. It is unpluged now I am hoping it will reset itself in a few hours.
ANY IMPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Kevin

Brian Kent
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

We did that on a "modern" oven a few years back during a lightning storm. There are whole ovens that cost less than $500. First quote was $650 for the circuit board. Finally got a reconstructed board for $275.

By the way, what is WMT?

Steve Busey
05-30-2013, 1:38 PM
By the way, what is WMT?

Walter Meier - parent company of Powermatic & Jet.

Sorry about the toast, Kevin! :( A wise man here told me to always leave my Jet physically unplugged when I wasn't using it. Good advice!

Drew Marold
05-30-2013, 2:01 PM
Hmm, I was going to play on my new 3520 last night, but there was a major thunderstorm going on, and I decided not to risk plugging it in. In light of this, I'm really glad I made that decision. Bummer about the inverter, I'm pretty sure I've seen them cheaper than that automationdirect.com. Won't necessarily be the exact same one but should have the same functionality.

Justin Hemphill
05-30-2013, 7:27 PM
Do surge protector's adequately protect the electronics in modern lathes? Or should you just leave them completely unplugged?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2013, 7:40 PM
Kevin,

At one time there was a Creeker who was repairing the inverters.

There are also alternative inverters.

You might try doing some research here: https://sites.google.com/site/mustardmonster/

Dick Mahany
05-30-2013, 8:08 PM
I can't remember where but I saw someone claim to have bought this inverter for $275 new from a distributor ( not PM or WMH). Search the net with the OEM Delta ( not to be confused with Delta woodworking equipment) part number and you should be able to come up with something. Someone wrote up a great procedure on programming a replacement inverter to the PM settings, I think it is in the articles at AAW which I won't link to as it would violate TOS. I also have a PDF copy if it would help.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2013, 8:29 PM
The Delta part number is part of the description in the Mustard Manual. The Delta p/n is VFD015S21A according to the online PM manual. A Google search on that part number will provide the Delta website and you can decipher what that part number means.....

When I Google searched that part number, one site is selling it for $207 plus $35 shipping.

Keep in mind, this will have to be programmed and that can be complicated in some instances.

Harry Robinette
05-30-2013, 8:42 PM
The VFD I bought was $251.00 main programing done at factory the rest was simple took 1/2hr. I put this VFD on my General 160.

Brian Ashton
05-31-2013, 1:52 AM
Do surge protector's adequately protect the electronics in modern lathes? Or should you just leave them completely unplugged?

Unplug it. A friend from years back use to test surge protectors in his electronics classes to demonstrate their usefulness and they could always get huge voltage readings from the other end before it disconnected... Plenty to fry micro electronics. I live in Queensland and the routine here is unplug what you don't or can't afford to lose when ever lightning is threatening. We've had two hits very close to the house so far and have not lost anything but the neighbours have.

Brian Ashton
05-31-2013, 1:57 AM
You could replace the defective inverter with any that will bolt in and has the appropriate rating. But if you want support from Powermatic you'll most likely have to go with theirs, at least that way they can help you program it and support you in the future. Hitachi makes a pretty good inverter for a fair price; avoid the Chinese crap though unless you want the same hassle in a year or less.

Greg Ketell
05-31-2013, 11:31 AM
When you get your new inverter...

A 220v switch is available on amazon for $7. http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Wiring-CS220V-SP-L-Commercial-Specification/dp/B00880CXMC

A double gang box is about $3 at your local hardware store. Put the SW.itch and your PM outlet in the box.

Now disconnecting your lathe at night is as simple as flipping a switch.

Mark Motquin
06-01-2013, 8:37 AM
Hi guys, I usually don't respond much on here but felt the need to now. There's a huge difference between a 277v switch and a 240v switch if your not sure of what your doing call an electrician, really don't want to see anybody get hurt or worse. Thanks Mark

Dale Miner
06-01-2013, 9:10 AM
Damage from thunderstorms might be covered by your homeowners insurance. Worth a call to the agent to find out.

Thom Sturgill
06-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Personally, I plan on mounting something like this for my Jet 1642-EVS - Florida is the land of lightning...

From Grizzly for $15 + shipping mounts in a regular box for 110 (up to 2hp - 30 A) or 220 (up to 3hp 20 Amp). Mount it where it is handy as an emergency stop.

Dennis Ford
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Killing the power to an inverter while the motor is running can be bad for the inverter. A power switch should not be used as an extra stop button except for emergencies.

I like the Hitachi drives and they come with a good manual (setting one up is not for everyone though).

Josh Bowman
06-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm thinking I like the idea of disconnecting the VFD after use. I have had several "power blips" that left mine frozen. So I found and bought a couple of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Square-D-Light-Duty-Disconnect-Switch-L211N-30A-NEW-/160607907802?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA% 252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D171045 007772%26ps%3D54

There 8 bucks plus 4 shipping. Look easy to power up and off, which is better than bending over and yanking a plug.

David C. Roseman
06-01-2013, 8:21 PM
Killing the power to an inverter while the motor is running can be bad for the inverter. A power switch should not be used as an extra stop button except for emergencies.
[snip]

Dennis, I've been wondering about this. Curious how great the risk and what type of damage. Don't want to hijack the thread, but one of these days I'd like to add a remote stop switch that would attach to the bed of our Grizzly G0733 when working on large pieces. Someone suggested running a pigtail from the handy box that holds the 220v receptacle. That's appealing for it's simplicity, but I'd worried about the electronics, and surely don't want to do anything that could damage the Delta inverter.

David

Harry Robinette
06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Mark you make it sound unsafe so whats up with 277 or 220 ? I'd probably use a 277 cause I don't know that much about it if you know tell us I don't think most of us are able to afford an electrician.

Dennis Ford
06-02-2013, 7:40 AM
You should be able to wire another switch to the controls of the inverter. This switch would be switching low voltage signals; not 220v power. A second switch near the tailstock end is a great safety feature. Inverters have multiple ways of accepting input signals and I have not looked at how Grizzly does it but would expect that an additional switch wired in series with the existing stop switch would do the job.

Dennis Ford
06-02-2013, 7:48 AM
You need a two pole switch for 220 because both lines are "hot" (110v to ground each); therefore you want to turn both off. 220 is also referred to as 230 or 240

277v circuits have a neutral line and a "hot" line (the "hot" is approximately 277v to ground); these are commercial or industrial circuits.

Josh Bowman
06-02-2013, 8:26 AM
Mark you make it sound unsafe so whats up with 277 or 220 ? I'd probably use a 277 cause I don't know that much about it if you know tell us I don't think most of us are able to afford an electrician.
Harry, the 277 volt is OK. It's the problem that the switch you have chosen is a single pole switch for just one hot wire. You need a double pole switch or a disconnect like used on AC units. There are lots of choices here, cheap and expensive. The important thing is get a double pole disconnect.

Thom Sturgill
06-02-2013, 9:31 AM
Was not thinking of a 'normal' stop. I have one of those near the tailstock (or rather had - I had to disconnect it - bad switch, I need to get a dust-proof one). I'm thinking emergency llike Paramedic :eek::mad:, as well as power disconnect when I have finished for the day and the machine is off. I would not place it so handy as to be used for normal stop, just handy enough that I would use it and not just leave it on. I suppose a normal safety disconnect would work fine.
30 Amp 240 volt $30 at the BORG. Its 6" wide which might be a problem mounted on the 4x4 post where the receptacle is.

Greg Ketell
06-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi guys, I usually don't respond much on here but felt the need to now. There's a huge difference between a 277v switch and a 240v switch if your not sure of what your doing call an electrician, really don't want to see anybody get hurt or worse. Thanks Mark

That is why I linked to a double-pole switch. But your advice is still very sound; if you aren't sure what you are doing, call in an electrician.