PDA

View Full Version : Let There Be Lights.....:)

John Dingman
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Got the sub panel hooked up and the lights are on. Now we are taking the time to fill in the screw holes and finishing off some of the edges, and then the paint will be applied with an airless sprayer. I have six T-8 four bulb lights in the shop. I used the Daylight Deluxe bulbs. I need to add just one more light fixture in the main shop area where my work bench is going to be. And then task lighting in locations where needed. The bulk of the lights are where the Table saw is going to be. (That area where the ladders are) I wanted to make sure that I had plenty of light there. I still need to hang the door and then paint the walls and ceiling a bright white. After paint the floor will be laid and then the equipment will be moved in so I can get to work on the family room. Here's some pics with no flash on the camera when they were taken. The holes you see in the ceiling are where the heat/ac ducts go.

The sub panel:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Basement%20Shop%20Sub%20Panel.jpg

Looking into the shop:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Basement%20Shop%20Entrance.jpg

From West to East:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Basement%20Shop%20West%20-%20East%20View.jpg

From East to West:

http://www.johnswoodshop.us/Images/Basement%20Shop%20East%20-%20West%20Vies.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks for the encouragement along the way.
John

Steve Wargo
05-18-2005, 10:44 PM
John,
I noticed the absence of windows in your shop. I too and without any windows in my shop. I stuggled for a long time, especially when doing color match jobs. There is no substitute for natural light... but there is some help. At the local Borg you can pick up natural sunlight bulbs. They really do make a difference, and while they're about $5 per bulb (about 5 time the cost of regular bulbs) they are well worth it. I have about 20 of them in my shop now, and it makes everything brighter, clearer, and shows off the imperfections. Just my $.02.

John Dingman
05-18-2005, 11:04 PM
John,
I noticed the absence of windows in your shop. I too and without any windows in my shop. I stuggled for a long time, especially when doing color match jobs. There is no substitute for natural light... but there is some help. At the local Borg you can pick up natural sunlight bulbs. They really do make a difference, and while they're about $5 per bulb (about 5 time the cost of regular bulbs) they are well worth it. I have about 20 of them in my shop now, and it makes everything brighter, clearer, and shows off the imperfections. Just my $.02. Steve, The bulbs I have are called Daylight Deluxe. Is there something brighter than that?

John

Steve Wargo
05-18-2005, 11:06 PM
It has nothing to due with brightness, it is the type of UV rays produced, or something like that. I actually researched them online before purchasing them and suposedly 3 bulbs supply simulated natural sun light equal to a 24" square sunlight.

Steve Cox
05-18-2005, 11:59 PM
John, Daylight deluxe are about 3500 degrees Kelvin. There are brighter lights out there up to about 5000 degrees Kelvin which is what I use in my shop. I have not had any problem color matching but I do have windows so that helps a lot.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-19-2005, 8:20 AM
John,

The shop sure is looking great! Even with no windows, you sure have a bright shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-19-2005, 8:35 AM
John....great job! You'll be surprised how much brighter your new shop will be once the ceiling and walls are painted! Great progress!

James Biddle
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
John, Daylight deluxe are about 3500 degrees Kelvin. There are brighter lights out there up to about 5000 degrees Kelvin which is what I use in my shop. I have not had any problem color matching but I do have windows so that helps a lot.

I also use the 5000K lights with an 85 CRI. When you add your task lighting, you can also find medium base bulbs to match your 4' lamps. I found mine at http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com

Rob Russell
05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Looks like great progress.

FYI, on your electrical work - AC and NM cable must be "supported and secured by staples, cable ties, straps, hangers, or similar fittings, designed and installed so as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m (4 1⁄2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box, junction box, cabinet, or fitting.".

That's easy enough to fix - just attach a piece of 1"x4" or 2"x4" to the wall above each of your panelboards and staple the AC/NM cable to it.

I'd expect an inspector to flag that if you don't.

John Miliunas
05-19-2005, 1:28 PM
Oh no...Burning electrons on the Neander side!:eek: Seriously, great progress on the shop, John. Man, you're really cruising on this project! Nope, kinda' like clamps, you just can't have too many lights when working on those fine joints and such. I even installed some incandescent task lighting recently over my WW bench, to easier see any flaws in the grain when planing. Nice job! It won't be long now...!:) :cool:

John Dingman
05-19-2005, 1:44 PM
Thanks to all for the kind remarks!

Thanks for the links. Too bad I already purchased the Daylight Deluxe Bulbs. I'll know better next time. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it's bright in there. The only exception is the one corner where the DC and Compressor are going to be. And that one area where you can see a shadow cast on the floor. I am wore out from rearranging the shop in my head. I have changed the layout at least 4 times today. Not the entire shop, just the layout of the Bench, Assembly Table, and the General knock around bench and hutch. I'll get er done soon though as I have to get on the family room for the LOML!

Thanks again!
John