PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Irons

Richard Danckaert
05-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I've recently been given an old stanley #4 that I'm in the process of refurbishing.The plane is in great shape but the problem I have is it came with an Iron and chip breaker from another plane.The iron is butchered so I figured I'll pick up a replacement probably from LN or LV.The chipbreaker doesn't fit.Does anyone know of a source for replacment chipbreakers?Would a LN improved chipbreaker fit?

Thanks,

Rich

Steve Cox
05-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I like Hock blades. www.hocktools.com (http://www.hocktools.com) They also sell improved chipbreakers.

Bob Smalser
05-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I'll give you a Stanley replacement set if you want one. I've a box of them and suspect there's a #4 in there.

Brad Schmid
05-19-2005, 1:20 PM
Richard,

I recently got LN replacement iron and improved chip breaker for a Bailey 4 1/2. All i can say is wow, what an improvement. Certainly wasn't cheap, but i think the benefit was worth it. It's much more solid now. You can tell not only by the way it feels, but by the way it sounds when cutting.

I will say however, that it took a long time to get it. I ordered on April 20 and finally received on May 17 because they were out of stock and had to make a batch.

Cheers,
Brad

Terry Hatfield
05-19-2005, 8:03 PM
Vote #2 for LN.

I have them in several of my planes. I'm using the stock chip breakers. I haven't tried the LN chip breakers but the blade alone makes an amazing difference. The stiffness of the .095 blades is great and the A2 steel stays sharp much longer thatn stock. Worth the price in my book.

Terry