View Full Version : Wood source for pickets

Michael Weber
05-29-2013, 9:43 PM
I'm sitting in the Dallas airport waiting to find out when I can get home:mad: thought I'd use the occasion to ask if anyone knows of a source for some fence pickets I want. These will need to be about 1 1/4 inch square. I realize I could rip up a bunch of construction 2bys but I'm going to need a LOT of them. Anything like this available from anywhere commercially? Needs to be fairly knot free and 42 to 48 inches long.

Richard Coers
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd look for a local saw mill operator. Can they get cyprus logs in Arkansas? If not, maybe go to The Forestry Forum and ask on there. Saw mill operators form all over the place on that site.

Bruce Wrenn
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Lowes, HD etc, all stock treated pickets. Cheaper than ripping your own, plus any bad ones can be returned for credit. Can't do that with a board you've ripped apart.

Rich Engelhardt
05-31-2013, 3:37 AM
Try some of the larger local fence installers.
A lot of them are happy to make a quick buck by reselling components.

Last time I needed a couple dozen 6' x 4" dog eared cedar pickets a full 1" thick, I bought them through Acme Fence here in Akron.
They ran me about half the cost of buying the raw cedar and cutting it to length & dog earing them.

Jery Madigan
05-31-2013, 2:45 PM
A large deck supplier here in the Denver area has lots of item like that for good prices. You may have the same.