PDA

View Full Version : Carbide blade for Bandsaw

Rick Fisher
05-29-2013, 9:07 PM
I ran a Lenox Tri-Master for almost 3 years. Some of you will remember that Laguna had a $75.00 sale a few years back. I bought one of those for a spare..

The Tri-Master became dull .. So I turfed it and put the Laguna blade on the saw.. About 3 weeks later.. I trashed the Laguna blade.. Destroyed it. My fault..

So I've been looking for another Carbide blade.. I'm running my spare " 3/4" bi-metal blade which has been hanging on the wall for years.. Its not as good.. :o

A new Tri-Master is $300 shipped.. Then I noticed a Woodmaster CT .. Its about $175.00 ( I think my blade is 178" ) .. I want a 1" x 1.5 - 3 Teeth per inch ..

What are ya'll using ? Anyone used the Woodmaster CT ? What else is there ? I checked laguna .. $1.73 an inch ? I would go Tri-Master first..

Andrew Hughes
05-29-2013, 9:32 PM
I have one Rick its a good blade when I bought my B 20/20 from Jesse I got a deal on the woodmaster blade.I like regular Olsen blades for both my bandsaws.I really think they come back from the sharpening service better than new and if I tweak one its not so bad on my wallet.
I keep the woodmaster coiled up ready for the next red cedar build.I think mine is 177 long close to yours.

Mike Wilkins
05-30-2013, 8:45 AM
I have used the Woodslicer from Highland Hardware before. Really good blade for the money. I also found a couple of Starrett blades that just happened to be the correct length for my saw at a used tool store that were new in box. Suprisingly very sharp and clean cutting. You can purchase Starrett blade stock if you make your own, or find a sharpening service that makes bandsaw blades and ask for Starrett.

Mikail Khan
05-30-2013, 9:46 AM
I use a trimaster most of the time. It works well is spite of losing some teeth when a tire come loose. I also have a $75 laguna as a backup.

MK

Chris Padilla
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Have you considered having the Trimaster resharpened? Is it even possible? I have a MM20 bandsaw--takes a 14' blade. I loved my Trimaster until I bent it. I had it fixed but it has never been the same since. I also have a WoodmasterCT from Lenox. I didn't care for it...I thought the Trimaster cut better even after it was fixed. I also have a Lenox Diemaster2 bimetal that I also love (1/2", hook style, 6 tpi) and it cut better than the WoodmasterCT, too. If my WoodmasterCT was longer, I'd sell it to you. I dunno...some like the CT...I did not. I thought it left a very rough surface for resawing. The Trimaster and Diemaster2 left much cleaner surfaces.

Larry Edgerton
05-30-2013, 1:31 PM
I just bought a Woodmaster 1"X150 carbide for $134. Cut great resawing 8" white oak till I hit a buried 1/2" bolt. Stuff happens..........

Larry

Erik Loza
05-30-2013, 1:38 PM
They are both great blades. I feel like the Tri-Master maybe gives a little better surface finish on certain types of woods (and that is very subjective...) but you cannot go wrong with the Woodmaster CT.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

James White
05-30-2013, 3:48 PM
I just bought a Woodmaster 1"X150 carbide for $134. Cut great resawing 8" white oak till I hit a buried 1/2" bolt. Stuff happens..........

Larry

Larry,

Where did you get the blade for that price? I think I would give one a shot at that price.

James

John Nesmith
05-30-2013, 9:09 PM
Other than longevity, what is the advantage of a carbide BS blade over other less expensive options? I'm reading $150-$300 for one, while a very good all steel blade can be had for $40-50. or less. What am I missing?

Erik Loza
05-30-2013, 9:16 PM
Other than longevity, what is the advantage of a carbide BS blade over other less expensive options? I'm reading $150-$300 for one, while a very good all steel blade can be had for $40-50. or less. What am I missing?

Finish quality at a much faster feed rate, particularly on hardwoods.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Charlie Kocourek
05-30-2013, 9:48 PM
Have you considered having the Trimaster resharpened? Is it even possible?

I would love to find someone who could sharpen carbide bandsaw blades. I tried to get a tri-master shapened at a local saw shop, but they wouldn't do it. Has anyone had one sharpened?

Thanks,
Charlie

Jim Finn
05-30-2013, 10:23 PM
I only use my bandsaw for resawing and have used 1/2" Woodslicers that cut well but did not last long. I now have a carbide blade from Grizzly and it is lasting and cutting fine. Less than $100 for a 1/2" X 105" blade.

Rick Fisher
05-31-2013, 2:21 AM
Wow .. just checked Grizzly .. A 180" Lenox Tri-Master 2-3 TPI .. x 1" .035.. $219.00

I got a price from Fastenal .. $269.00
Saw Shop was $ 290.00

I really wasn't aware that Grizzly was selling Lenox ..

Robert LaPlaca
05-31-2013, 8:07 AM
I would love to find someone who could sharpen carbide bandsaw blades. I tried to get a tri-master shapened at a local saw shop, but they wouldn't do it. Has anyone had one sharpened?

Thanks,
Charlie

Assuming you have a 1 inch wide, 2/3 variable pitch Trimaster, Suffolk Machinery (of Timberwolf bandsaw blades fame) will sharpen your band. I had a 143" Trimaster from my MM16 sharpened, I believe it cost all in $90 between me shipping the band to them and the cost of sharping and return shipping. The blade cuts pretty good, maybe not as aggressively as a new Trimaster, but pretty good, I am happy with the results.

FWIW, I understand Suffolk Machinery's own carbide tipped bandsaw blade was modeled after the 1" variable pitch 2/3 Trimaster, so their sharping machinery can accommodate the those blades...

Erik Loza
05-31-2013, 8:20 AM
Wow .. just checked Grizzly .. A 180" Lenox Tri-Master 2-3 TPI .. x 1" .035.. $219.00

I got a price from Fastenal .. $269.00
Saw Shop was $ 290.00

I really wasn't aware that Grizzly was selling Lenox ..

Rick, you should just buy a Woodmaster CT instead. 90% the blade for like 2/3rds the price.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Charlie Kocourek
06-01-2013, 8:27 AM
Rick, you should just buy a Woodmaster CT instead. 90% the blade for like 2/3rds the price.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

HI Eric,

I looked at the CT Woodmaster and it is available with 1.3 tpi or with 2 tpi. Which one have you used?

Thanks,
Charlie

By the way, I love my MM16!

peter gagliardi
06-01-2013, 8:41 AM
Suffolk machinery's carbide blade works exceptionally well , don't know their name for it now, but look them up.
Peter

Rick Fisher
06-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Charlie.. My last blade was 3 tpi.. Before that, 2-3 Tpi.. I am going to order a blade 1.3 tpi - 1.6 tpi... I don't mind if its a bit rougher but want it to cut easier...

Tai Fu
06-01-2013, 1:24 PM
Woodmaster CT works real well and it's cheap, however it does leave a sort of a rough finish unless you actually resaw with it (I find it makes a smoother cut through thick stocks than thin stock, thick means more than 4" thick). I don't know if that's out it is or it just needs higher tension because I've heard people had tablesaw cut quality with carbide blades... but I guess they're talking about resaw kings and trimasters.

Woodmaster CT seems designed primarily as a sawmill blade so I guess they aren't designed to leave a smooth cut.

Charlie Kocourek
06-01-2013, 2:21 PM
Charlie.. My last blade was 3 tpi.. Before that, 2-3 Tpi.. I am going to order a blade 1.3 tpi - 1.6 tpi... I don't mind if its a bit rougher but want it to cut easier...

Thanks Rick, that is what I suspected.

Charlie

Charlie Kocourek
06-01-2013, 2:27 PM
Assuming you have a 1 inch wide, 2/3 variable pitch Trimaster, Suffolk Machinery (of Timberwolf bandsaw blades fame) will sharpen your band. I had a 143" Trimaster from my MM16 sharpened, I believe it cost all in $90 between me shipping the band to them and the cost of sharping and return shipping. The blade cuts pretty good, maybe not as aggressively as a new Trimaster, but pretty good, I am happy with the results.

FWIW, I understand Suffolk Machinery's own carbide tipped bandsaw blade was modeled after the 1" variable pitch 2/3 Trimaster, so their sharping machinery can accommodate the those blades...

Hi Robert, I also have an MM16. (That saw will cut through anything!) If my current blade hasn't started to crack before it needs sharpening then I will give Suffolk a try. $90 vs buying a new blade is definitely worth it.

Thanks for the info,
Charlie

David Kumm
06-01-2013, 5:50 PM
The CT 1.3 was developed for wide board resawing. It excels as the board gets wider and the speed gets faster. I run a 3 tpi Trimaster on my 217 that resaws up to 14" but the CT on the big saw with the 20" resaw. As you go thinner you want more teeth, wider you want fewer. Speed makes a difference too. My Olivers run at 6750 fpm whereas most newer saws are closer to 4000. Dave

Larry Edgerton
06-02-2013, 6:04 PM
Larry,

Where did you get the blade for that price? I think I would give one a shot at that price.

James

It was $137.03 to my door. I bought it from Cyber Woodworking Depot LLC. Took me a while to find the bill.