PDA

View Full Version : Bag of sand form for a bud vase/weedpot

Michael Stafford
05-29-2013, 8:05 PM
I saw Brian Kent's nice assortment of Southwestern bowl forms in avocado and remarked about my favorite being a bag of sand form.

Here is a picture of a bud vase/weed pot turned from some spalted maple that my buddy Don Leydens gave me with a thick blackwood collar to make sure I had enough depth to accommodate the flared glass insert.

Finished size is about 4" tall and 5 1/2" in diameter.

Brian Kent
05-29-2013, 8:41 PM
Very nice, Michael. Did you do the inside with a straight tool or something with an angle?

Scott Hackler
05-29-2013, 9:06 PM
Dang, Don did a great job on that. I love the shape, the wood and the use of the backwood.

Mike Peace
05-29-2013, 9:14 PM
I really like the size of the collar and how blends with the form. Great job, Mike.

Dan Forman
05-29-2013, 9:40 PM
That is one incredible piece of maple, and really like what you have done with it.

Dan

Jim Burr
05-29-2013, 9:41 PM
Wowza Mike!! That just rocks!! Off to find some avocado.

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 9:47 PM
That's a beauty Mike! Gotta love those zone lines .........nicely done!

Richard Coers
05-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Love the wood, and the form, but......the blackwood seems to overpower it. If the blackwood was a little shorter, maybe smaller diameter, and more subtle, the maple would have stayed the main player. Wonderful work on the maple!

robert baccus
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Great shape and wood--fantastic wood. Turned some avocado years ago. It arrived by mail in a bag full of green stuff smelling like old wackamole. Beautiful grain and felt soft and smooth to the touch. Finished great with carnuba wax.

Michael Stafford
05-30-2013, 6:17 AM
Brian, the piece is partially hollowed to reduce the weight but I left it bottom heavy for stability. I used a straight hollowing tool, a Jackofsky rocket tool, followed by a Jackofsky rocket swan neck and then finished the hollowing with a Hunter #5 swan neck. Again, let me reiterate it is not a true hollow form as I made no attempt to get it thin at all.
Scott, Don supplied the wood but I turned the piece. I originally was going to cut the piece of wood into two pieces for boxes but did not have the heart to do so. My wife wanted me to turn a bunch of these bud vases, weed pots for Christmas gifts which I have done but she confiscated this one for her private collection.
Richard, as I explained in my original post the thickness and diameter of the blackwood collar was to accommodate the flared glass insert both in height and diameter.
Thank you for your comments. I am not much of a hollow form turner so any constructive comments are appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
05-30-2013, 7:43 AM
I like it! Nice form, good job on blending the collar into the overall curve and I like the collar being black so as to bring out the zone lines within the Maple.

Nice photo also!

steven carter
05-30-2013, 2:09 PM
Mike, If it is constructive criticism you want, you are going to have to not do such a good job! I like this form very much, and I also like a form just about like this except with the max diameter just slightly lower, more like a Hershey's kiss. Great job blending the collar into the rest of the form.