PDA

View Full Version : Help with Unisaw 36-941

Dave Fisher
05-29-2013, 5:42 PM
I'm in a little pickle with the newsedUnisaw I just got from work. Fortunately I got it for free (what adeal).

The Unisaw model number is 36-941 and Ihave not been able to find any information on it. I did a search onas many Delta sites as I could find and it came up with the name“Masterbox”. That threw my local parts guy and me for a loop. Iguess Delta is going through some sort of business transition now andthat isn't helping matters. I called a tech support number I gotfrom my parts guy and they told me they couldn't help me at all.

My problem is the motor (3hp Emerson)needs a new capacitor. The starting capacitor (at least I amassuming it to be because it is the larger of the 2) is shot. Allthe insulating material melted from inside the capacitor and oozedout which dissolved the lettering indicating the type of capacitor itwas.

I am hoping that someone here can helpmy out with the type of capacitor I need. I also would need to knowwhich terminals to connect the capacitor to. The wires disconnectedwhile I was removing the capacitor. There are two yellow wires andone red wire going to the motor.

While I'm at it I would like to replacethe running capacitor while I have the motor out of the saw. Anyinformation about the terminal connections would be greatlyappreciated. A pic of the motor info plate is included as well asthe model number and front view of the saw.

Any Help will be greatly appreciatedand I really and looking forward to getting the saw set up in mymodest little shop. This saw will be a huge step up from the oldCraftsman flex drive saw I now have.

Thank you all in advance for all yourhelp.

Dave

Prior to posing I searched the forum for any help on this subject and got one result. Link Below and wondering if this would work.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?118221-Unisaw-Motor-Help

Chris Padilla
05-29-2013, 5:54 PM
Have you tried any local motor shops? You know, ones that rewind and recondition motors like this. They could likely fix it for you or swap for a similar motor.

Keith Bohn
05-29-2013, 7:11 PM
Along the lines of what Chris said, a local motor shop should be able to install new capacitors, or provide an additional diagnosis. I'd be surprised if the motor is shot. If they tell you that, get another opinion before plunking down $300(+).

As for the saw model, it's because it's Delta's Plutonium Edition that gives it the number it's got. I plugged the number into Google and found a manual off Mike's Tools.

http://www.mikestools.com/download/DeltaTableSawManuals/36-955.pdf

In the future when you run into a problem with that number just tell them it's a 2001 Delta No. 36-820.

In the long run a Unisaw is a Unisaw is a Unisaw, within reason. Over the years there's been quite a bit of de-styling with the saw but parts for your saw are the same as the parts for my 73 year old Unisaw.

Rich Riddle
05-29-2013, 8:01 PM
Dave,

There is a forum at old woodworking machines www dot owwm dot org that exclusively deals with electrical issues. They also have electrical gurus there that frequent that forum. You would have much better luck in that forum since it's a forum dedicated to the machinery itself rather than the product of woodworking tools. Bruce has phenomenal knowledge over there.

Bill Geibe
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I agree with Chris and Keith. Take the motor off (easy except for it's weight) and take it to a local electric motor shop. Capacitor replacement should be a piece of cake for them.

Look around sites like OWWM for techniques on removing the motor without aggravating your back.

Bill