PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw Cutting Abnormality?

John Hollaway
05-29-2013, 4:44 PM
While I often cut sheet goods using a straight edge with a circular saw, I've never had the need to utilize a straight edge with a jig saw, until now. The other day I attemped to run my high-end Bosch J572 jig saw along a straight edge, and the blade(s) consistantly would bend significantly away from the straight edge after five or six inches. Anyone know why? Thanks

John

johnny means
05-29-2013, 5:03 PM
Sounds like your blade and or the saw mechanism are not parrallel to your base.

Chris Padilla
05-29-2013, 5:56 PM
Is the blade new and appropriate for the cut?

Art Mann
05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
I have a Bosch 1590EVS jigsaw and I have the same problem. If the blade is not exactly parallel to the base plate, then the blade veering one way or the other is inevitable. It doesn't matter whether the blade is new and suitable for the material. I have not been able to find an adjustment for blade alignment. I have had some success using a very narrow blade with a wide saw kerf. This is a real drawback to an otherwise excellent tool.

john bateman
05-30-2013, 7:36 AM
I've never used my Bosch with a straightedge, but when trying to cut a straight line, it has to be pointed a degree or two to the left. So it would probably do the same thing yours is doing if I tried to force it to follow a guide.

Metod Alif
05-30-2013, 9:50 AM
I had exactly the same problem. Eventually I began suspecting the blade(s). Indeed, the teeth on one side were a tad higher (visible with a naked eye).
My bad that I never took the time to notify Bosch of this (avoidable) problem.
Best wishes,
Metod

peter gagliardi
05-30-2013, 10:02 AM
A jig saw is not intended to do what your trying- a different saw likely wont help. Freehand the straight line and it will be easier. I have the Bosch, and a Festool jigsaw - wish I didn't buy the Festool, the Bosch is more powerful, easier to use, and cuts better, and I like Festool tools generally.
Peter

Julie Moriarty
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Applying too much forward pressure to the tool can cause the blade to flex. A dull blade can add to that problem. I have a Bosch 1587 and when I first got it I was impressed with its ability to follow a line. But when I used it in conjunction with a straight edge I found I had to skew it a bit. A circular saw is the better tool for this kind of cut.

Peter Kuhlman
05-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Jig saw blades commonly have a small set to the teeth. This makes the blade tend to want to go left or right slightly as you cut and doing so with a straight edge guide as a reference will cause your problems. A jigsaw even with quality blades will tend to do this. They really are not designed to be used with a reference straight edge to follow and work far better in free-hand mode.

Chris Padilla
05-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I've had very good success with my Festool jigsaw and their long blades. I get perfectly square cuts. Keep in mind the Festool jigsaw has 3 settings for how it cuts.

Peter Kuhlman
05-30-2013, 1:57 PM
With my Festool 300 jigsaw, I can do quite well with their heavy duty blades. Have tried it using some Bosch blades and had issues when following a guide. I use a jigsaw free hand and if I need a really straight cut will use my TS55 as it can plunge in the middle of a panel if needed. Get a much nicer cut with it.

Lee Schierer
05-30-2013, 6:30 PM
With my Bosch barrel grip I have often cut pieces of 3/4" plywood using a straight edge guide with no problems. I use a T-shank 234X blade with little if an orbital action and get extremely smooth cuts that are straight with very minimal tear out. I let the blade cut at it's own rate, which is pretty quick.