PDA

View Full Version : coffin hinges

mark laub
05-29-2013, 4:00 PM
I have built a coffin box(6 sided) and have glued the lid pieces together. I would like to overhang the lid in all directions approx. 3/8". I bought 3- 60# stay hinges from Rockler, but I don't think they are going to work. The box is 13/16" thick, plus I want to run trim around the top of box under the lid, to do this I would have to attach them to the trim and mortise to fit between trim and box. I e-mailed Rockler my situation and they recommended not using the hinges, due to the possibility of damaging the coffin. I am now contemplating using some type of decorative hinge on the outside. I haven't cut the lid to the box yet, because I need to settle on hinges, any suggestions on using the stay hinges, or some decorative hinges that would work.
Thanks Mark

Mel Fulks
05-29-2013, 4:11 PM
Mark, if you are making it for someone else ,are you sure they need hinges ? Most of the older type coffins did not have hinges.Even with the modern metal hinged product more people are opting for closed coffin funerals. Putting the lid on a wooden coffin is no big deal.Its not like a blanket chest.

mark laub
05-30-2013, 8:57 AM
Thanks Mel. I have made a small model with a sliding 2 piece lid that I thought looked great, but he wants one that hinges open like a casket. It is now too late to dado the outside edges for the lid to slide on because I have the box already built. I guess I'll have to do some more research.
Mark

Mel Fulks
05-30-2013, 9:44 AM
One thing about using hinges is you will probably need a seal ,at least on the hinge side. I think the screw down lid just allows a simpler ,neater look. Good luck, please post some pictures.

mark laub
05-30-2013, 7:27 PM
Thanks again. I have decided to use the stay lid hinges, just using thinner trim. I will post pictures when I complete it, if I can figure out how to post them.