PDA

View Full Version : CorelDRAW + EBay = Frustration

Chuck Jarrett
05-29-2013, 1:17 PM
First let me say I think both EBay and Corel are good companies. Recently we purchased Corel X6 Graphics Suite, with the book on EBay, paying over $300 for it. I was happy as I thought this was a great price. We got the program loaded it up, registered, and spent about a month in learning mode. Then comes the problem; we go to do an update and we can not do it, it comes back with "status unverified". We get in touch with Corel, which they open a case file on the problem, Corel comes back with there are 4 e-mail accounts using the same serial number in Brazil, so they ask for our receipts and photocopies of the disc etc., which we sent to them. Their response was, quite possibly a counterfeit copy, and they do not warrant any programs sold on EBay, and to contact the seller. Have not gotten very far with the seller, as he just contacted Corel and they opened a duplicate case file. There are vendors on EBay that say they are authorized Corel dealers, but according to Corel they are not. Bottom line, if I had to do it over again I would happily pay the $500 that Corel charges, and avoid hours of trying to get this resolved. BTW Corel X6 is an awesome program, which I still have much to learn. If any of you have a suggestion on how best to resolve I would appreciate it.

Anthony Scira
05-29-2013, 1:37 PM
Yeah I have learned NEVER buy software off Ebay. Just not worth the risks.

Ronald Erickson
05-29-2013, 3:22 PM
I've never bought on EBay so I have no experience with filing a complaint. Is there a time limit to file? If you purchased using a credit card you may be able to start a chargeback due to fraud (if the copy is counterfeit).

In the meantime, and I realize it may not be the answer you are looking for, you may want to consider buying a copy off Amazon, sold by Amazon. They have the full version of CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 for $349.95 (18 in stock, price just dropped within the last few days). Here's a link to Amazon: CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 (http://www.amazon.com/Corel-CDGSX6ENHBB-CorelDRAW-Graphics-Suite/dp/B007IWCQ8W)

Jeff Greer
05-29-2013, 5:31 PM
Just went thru the same thing.....bought my new X6 from Amazon.

Mark Smith61
05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
If you end up having to buy again, consider doing the Corel subscription. I can't recall the exact pricing now and I'm not at my office, but you can subscribe for an annual fee that is a lot cheaper than the $500 cost of the software. Don't quote me on this but I'm thinking it cost me around $120 to start it and that is an annual fee. So it will be over four years before I've spent $500 and there's a lot of stuff that comes with the subscription like future upgrades being included. I can't remember all the benefits but I weighed both options carefully and decided the subscription was a better deal for me.

Richard Coers
05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Not a good deal Chuck, but you can still use it right? I bought Corel 9 forever ago on a deal on Ebay. Still use it today for the hobby work I do on my old machine.

Chuck Jarrett
05-30-2013, 2:14 AM
Jeff, did you have the same problem with the one you bought on Amazon? Mark, I never thought to do a subscription, however I think I would rather have the software. We can and are using the software, we just can not do any updates etc.

John Bion
05-30-2013, 7:51 AM
Bought my X6 (new with book) off Amazon about five months ago, ive had no problems.......yet :)

I also bought X3 off Amazon (to work with Lasercut) I had no problem entering the given key to get the software working, however Corel does not recognize a further key for other downloads/functions and when telephoned will offer no support.
Regards, John

Mike Lysov
05-30-2013, 8:24 AM
If Corel says it's counterfeit copy it is counterfeit copy. Just ask the seller to give you full refund and pay you to ship it back to them. If the are selling counterfeit software they should expect to pay for shipping to get it back. If the seller does not want to do it open a dispute through Paypal and you will get your money back in full under buyer protection policy.

I have been in the same situation twice with Photoshop. The first seller did not respond to my question roll back the whole ebay transaction until I opened the dispute. The second one was surprised it is counterfeit and gave me refund and paid for shipping it back to him.

Martin Boekers
06-01-2013, 4:25 PM
You can always threaten with a letter from the Attorney General as this involves postal service and that itself creats a big issue.

I guess for those that want to buy software this way ask for the serial number before proceeding and check with the manufactorer first.
If they won't give you a serial number stay away....

Chuck Stone
06-01-2013, 5:17 PM
If Corel says it's counterfeit copy it is counterfeit copy. Just ask the seller to give you full refund and pay you to ship it back to them. If the are selling counterfeit software they should expect to pay for shipping to get it back.

You could always tell them that the local sheriff offered to deliver it for you..

David Rust
06-02-2013, 9:04 PM
Hi Chuck,
I went through this same scenario in January with Corel X6 that I bought through Amazon. Turned out to be an illegal copy. I didn't discover it until I tried to get an update from Corel. Too bad Corel doesn't inform you about it being counterfeit when you register it... It seems simple to me to allow one registration per serial number... I registered my copy with Corel in October with no problems, if they told me then that there were many others that registered the same serial number, therefore it is an illegal copy, I might of had a chance to get my money back.

In the end I was able to pay Corel the cost of an X6 upgrade for a valid serial number that they recognize as a legal copy.

Ross Moshinsky
06-02-2013, 9:42 PM
Contact your credit card and do a charge back. It's a fairly painless process.

Chuck Jarrett
06-03-2013, 1:07 PM
David, sounds like the exact same thing that happened to us. It too took us awhile to figure out something wasn't right, we too registered ours and thought great. It wasn't until we went to do an upgrade that we became aware of the problem. I just got a response back from Corel that the program had originally been registered 10 months earlier. Hopefully the seller will make it right by the end of the day, or I will contest the charges. I suspect I will either have to get another program, or see if we can pay for an upgrade. Lesson's of life continue. I probably will not make that same mistake again, hopefully I have learned software on Ebay or even Amazon may not be a good purchase.

Gary Hair
06-03-2013, 3:08 PM
hopefully I have learned software on Ebay or even Amazon may not be a good purchase.

What most people don't realize is that almost anyone can sell items on Amazon, If you buy on Amazon and it is "sold and shipped" by Amazon then you are getting a legit product, it's when it is sold and shipped by a third party that you can run into trouble. Ebay, on the other hand is just a way for people to sell their stuff, "Ebay" doesn't sell anything - apparently there are lots of people who don't understand that.

Ronald Erickson
06-03-2013, 5:10 PM
What most people don't realize is that almost anyone can sell items on Amazon, If you buy on Amazon and it is "sold and shipped" by Amazon then you are getting a legit product, it's when it is sold and shipped by a third party that you can run into trouble. Ebay, on the other hand is just a way for people to sell their stuff, "Ebay" doesn't sell anything - apparently there are lots of people who don't understand that.

Excellent point to make about Amazon and I'd like to expand on your point (for the benefit of others).

There are three ways you can buy merchandise on Amazon: Sold by Amazon, Fulfilled by Amazon, and Third Party.

If it says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com", the purchase is handled completely by Amazon; Amazon is directly selling you the product from their warehouse and returns would be covered under Amazon's normal return policies. Here's an example:

Here's an example of the same product being sold on Amazon as "Fulfilled by Amazon". The item is sold via third party, but Amazon is fulfilling the order and is handling the packing, delivery, customer service, and returns. This type of purchase is also covered by Amazon's normal return policies and any returns would ship back to Amazon.

In my final example, the same product is being sold on Amazon by a third party. Amazon has nothing to do with the packing, delivery, customer service, or returns. Amazon is merely taking a percentage of the purchase price for allowing the third party to use Amazon's website to create the order, but all shipping, returns, and customer service happen through the third party. Amazon does have an A-to-z Guarantee that may help you get a refund when you've made a third party purchase, but there are some limitations and there is a lifetime limit of fifty claims.

I've paid a bit more for items that are "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" even though a third party selling on Amazon may have had a better price simply because I knew I could trust Amazon to make things right if there was any issue with my purchase. The same cannot be said of some third party sellers on Amazon. It's always best to check their feedback ratings before making a purchase (just click the seller's name).

Chuck Jarrett
06-03-2013, 7:13 PM
Gary and Ron, Thanks for the info regarding Amazon. I for one was unaware exactly how it all worked. I have bought many items (tools to books) from (or possibly through) Amazon, and have personally never had a problem. An update on my Corel problem---the seller has agreed to replace the program. Hopefully that happens. I think the guy I am dealing with is honest, I think he just ended up with a product that had the SN lifted. We shall see.

Chuck Jarrett
06-08-2013, 1:52 PM
Update. the Ebay seller has replaced the program, and the new one installed fine, and gave us "verified status", as well as let us do updates etc. In retrospect I would pay more money and deal with an authorized dealer to avoid the problems and hassles. I am thankful the seller did in fact come through on this.

Gary Hair
06-08-2013, 8:33 PM
That's great Chuck, I'm amazed that you actually found someone honest on Ebay! You should go buy a lotto ticket, you have some luck with you that you need to take advantage of!

Dan Hintz
06-09-2013, 3:09 PM
Update. the Ebay seller has replaced the program, and the new one installed fine, and gave us "verified status", as well as let us do updates etc

Don't count your chickens before they hatch... in a few months, your serial may also be copied multiple times, and when several people try to register it, it also will get tossed into the bin at Corel. Keep all receipts, that's all I'm sayin'...