PDA

View Full Version : Planing green lumber

Joe Hillmann
05-29-2013, 1:05 PM
I plan to make up a bunch of toboggans this summer to sell this fall. I usually get wood from the sawmill that is freshly cut and hasn't had a chance to dry yet. Using the wet lumber is much easier on my saw and makes bending easier. Last year I made 8 or 9 and I didn't bother with planing them at all. The ones I make this summer I want nicer so I plan to plane them. Is there any reason I shouldn't run the wet wood through my planer?

Richard Coers
05-29-2013, 2:57 PM
Rust in the planer would be the biggest concern. If you have a machine with adjustable spring tension on the infeed and outfeed rollers, you would want to lessen the pressures. There is also a chance the grain will fuzz up if the blades are not really sharp.

Frank Drew
05-29-2013, 6:16 PM
Rust would be my main concern so if you do it be sure to dry everywhere you can get to as well as possible (and be careful wiping around the knives!) I've both worked and turned a lot of wet wood and it doesn't take long for wet shavings to rust iron or steel if they're left in contact.

I'd also empty outdoors any dust collection bags or boxes coming from your planer after you're done each day.

Scott T Smith
05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Joe, if the wood is oak the tannin's in the green lumber will react with the metal from your planer and cause the boards to turn black.

Rust can be minimized with a good wax job.