PDA

View Full Version : Need help trying to figure out what I need

Karl Card
05-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Sorry for the vague title but I am truly lost on what I actually need for a project. I bought a used craftsman weedeater. It is fairly new and is the kind where the gas lines are inserted thru a whole in the gas tank. Meaning that if they shrink at all, and they do over time, then gas leaks out. I am wanting to insert a "tit" for lack of a better word, so that I can slide the lines over a stem and hopefully will be more dependable. To me, and this is only my opinion, this was the most inexpensive, ignorant design that I believe could ever happen to yard equipment. In my mind I know what I want but just do not know where to start looking or what to ask for at the hardware store. So basically I need a piece that can with stand oil and gas mixture and can be attached to the gas tank so as to have a non leaking fuel line attachment. Hope this makes since.

Greg Peterson
05-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Is it leaking now? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is, then I would replace the line.

Or, rather than reinvent the wheel, just buy a small tube of RTV and apply a generous bead around the hose where it enters the tank.

David Weaver
05-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Every model airplane I ever built suggested 100% silicone around the fixtures for the tank. If you already have silicone around, clean off an area around the lines and apply it. The bonus is that if you ever need to get it off, you can do that pretty easily, but it will still seal just fine.

Well, I think it will. Our fuel was a very oily nitromethane mix.

Greg Peterson
05-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Gasoline will break down silicone, generally. There may be some formulations of silicone that are not affected by gasoline. Regardless, your local auto parts store should have a ample selection of sealants to choose from.

Biff Johnson
05-29-2013, 12:52 PM
I've been down the same route as you on a backpack blower. I would not recommend silicone because gasoline will dissolve it, even more industrial grades.

If you have a small engine shop near you should pay them a visit. I'd suggest visiting them, there are many options for inserting fuel line through plastic tanks, like special grommets. I'd be willing to bet they can offer a solution.

FYI I ended up using epoxy on mine and it worked really well. Unfortunately the electronics died shortly after so I chucked the whole thing.

Andrew Pitonyak
05-29-2013, 3:00 PM
I believe that NAPA sells an epoxy that can handle gasoline.

There are lots of choices, "Seal-All", Permatex Loctite Gas Tank Repair Patch (it is an epoxy so might work)...

Even under warranty (I had an extended warranty), sears was unable to repair mine, so I went through three new ones (they all had minimal use, they just kept failing). I finally pitched it, went to a local shop (that said that they could not repair the Craftsman), and purchased an echo, which I have beat on for four years now without a problem. But, if it does break, the local shop can fix it :D

ray hampton
05-29-2013, 4:00 PM
did you check to see if this gas tank had-been issued a recall