PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your turning Gremlins!!! -Updated

Roger Chandler
05-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Santa has his Elves to help around the shop.....so did the little old cobbler in the fairy tale...........sometimes I think there are woodturning gremlins that go around and every so often visit your shop while you are unaware! Today was one such day at my shop!

Because of the Memorial Day holiday, my usual administrative work that I do on Mondays had to be done today.......yesterday was taken up with family for an afternoon cookout.......it was nice to have our sons with us for a visit.

While I only had some time in the afternoon that I could go to the shop and do something, I decided time was a factor and not to get into anything too big or too involved timewise..........well, that did not work out so well!

If anything could go wrong, [just about] it did! The wood turning gremlins were there to wreak some havoc! I picked up a piece of maple that had been cut into a rectangle......about six inches square and perhaps 8.5" long.........had a moment of inspiration to try a new form for me........a bowl hollowed out of a solid cube with a domed lid.......thought to myself.......this won't take long and it should end up as a unique and novel piece. Considered how to hold it in the chuck........recess? Nah, I decided to go for a tenon which I could end up using as a small base for lift to get the cube off the table a bit.

I don't just show my successes, but also a good number of my less than stellar pieces, because it might just help some newer turner coming along........and besides......the adventure is part of the enjoyment in turning! ;)

Now, to the gremlins........first, the wood, {Norway maple} has been cut for about two years........kept inside my shop, and I thought it would likely be okay as far as stability.......wrong......this thing moved on me a good bit while turning. That threw off the fit of the domed lid, and the thing just looked ......well .........lets just say "weird!" ...... Punt.......decided to go ahead and take the lid and form and put them together and then begin to shape the whole thing over into a round lidded form..........did that.

Still the wood moved some more.......throwing the fit of the lid off .....Now the form and the lid are both face grain oriented from the same piece of wood! I had to find a way to remount on the lathe, and when I finally got the thing looking decent, I decided to embellish with some burn lines........first one went okay........the one to hide the joint ....not so good!

Unbeknown to me, the tailstock pressure had loosened up :eek: and that allowed the lid to move [spin] at a different rate than the whole piece was spinning.....and it was not enough that you could tell, but it left areas that were widened out by the wire and areas too thin! The only thing I know to do to correct this is to remount it on the lathe and cut the burn lines off with a gouge, resand and refinish..........I have not even sanded the inside as of yet, so that should not be too big an issue........just a little reshaping.

This is 5" tall and 3-7/8" wide..........and of course a work in progress!

I hope your day went better than mine.......hopefully the gremlins left you alone.......they were having too much fun at my expense on this day! :mad::D

robert baccus
05-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice shape and unique too. Gremlins thrive here too. I have two new rules (hate rules yeah)--never turn wood when you start your day by dropping your dentures in the cat sand box. #2--never spray lacquer at night during june bug season. Only cure known is to call Madame Ledouche in New Orleans.

Michelle Rich
05-29-2013, 6:18 AM
love robert's response :-) Keep turning Roger..new gremlins appear at every stage of development!!

bob svoboda
05-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Ahh, those pesky gremlins. They're kind of like moles, if you chase them out they just show up in the next shop down the road. DANG! Better times comin', Roger.

Dan Forman
05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
The danged things showed up at my place last night as well!. Sometimes all you can do is laugh at them and hope they don't make themselves at home.

Robert --- :) What's the Madame's number, just in case?

Dan

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 2:54 PM
The danged things showed up at my place last night as well!. Sometimes all you can do is laugh at them and hope they don't make themselves at home.

Robert --- :) What's the Madame's number, just in case?

Dan

What happened Dan? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

Okay..........this thread should turn into a "gremlin story" thread! Tell your story of how the gremlins took over your project!

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 3:00 PM
Just for follow up on my original post here..........I took this back to the lathe earlier today........ended up taking the burn lines out.......it also took out the area supporting the tenon, so now the turning is just two halves of the project with too thin walls to be able to make them fit together any more.....the project is now one for the woodstove! Gremlins!!! :mad::D

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 3:05 PM
Well.......a thought hit me........maybe this one is not lost after all.........

Perhaps turn a band for the middle to join the top to the bottom.......out of a contrasting wood such as walnut? Hummmmm..........

Please do share your gremlin stories however........we could all use the laugh! :D

Jim Underwood
05-29-2013, 4:22 PM
Maybe Roger... you should just stop digging when you find yourself in a hole.

:D

I notice that when the gremlins come out, they multiply rapidly.

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 4:33 PM
Maybe Roger... you should just stop digging when you find yourself in a hole.

:D

I notice that when the gremlins come out, they multiply rapidly.

There is something to be said, Jim, about tenacity and overcoming when the gremlins work against you..........I have never been one to just give up, give in.........determination in the face of adversity is a laudable quality! ;) Of course, one needs to use wisdom to determine if the hole you are in makes you content to let it be your grave! :eek::p .....:D:D:D

Dan Forman
05-29-2013, 6:27 PM
Well, Roger's gremlins evidently felt unfulfilled by the havoc they wreaked upon him, so paid a visit to my shop last night as well.

I turned my first box a couple of days ago, and wanted to have another go at one, so started this one out of some dried apple I had laying about. It was to hold cue tips. While the wood was dry, I know that it will sometimes still move a bit after being hollowed due to relieved stresses sorting themselves out, so I was going to give it a day or two after the major hollowing before fitting the lid. I guess in the future I need to leave a "note to self" to remind myself of the strategy, or think a little bit before starting back on the project. Well, in my case, maybe both. :)

Unfortunately, it turns out that the wood moved very little, which actually hurt rather than helped in this case. When initially hollowing, I had left some wood in the top and bottom to allow for ovaling, which ended up to be so slight as to be nearly undetectable. Here is where the gremlins began their nefarious activity. They took full advantage of my lack of experience with boxes, and made me forget to remove a touch more wood from the inside diameter of the top, which I would have done had it gone a little more oval. I did turn it true, but didn't take off as much as I'd planned when sizing the bottom rim that first night.

So, moving on to the bottom, I chucked it up and commenced truing and sizing the rim for a suction fit. As I removed wood and checked the fit periodically, it was becoming clear that something was amiss, the thickness of the rim was getting much too thin for comfort. I was sure I had allowed for more material than this. Being somewhat challenged in the visualization skills department, it hadn't occurred to me return the lid to the lathe and open the diameter a little more, rather than continuing to turn away the bottom rim. I believe the gremlins had a part in this lack of insight. Well, this wasn't a fatal miscalculation, there was still barely enough wood left to serve for a rim by the time I realized that I could open up the top a little more.

So I replaced the top in the chuck, but it didn't run exactly true, which led to me taking off more wood than I had intended, which ended up to be just enough to lose a suction fit. I figured that I could still get a good fit by building up a little finish on the mating surfaces, and if not, it was still close enough to make do, so I soldiered on. Two layers of masking tape on the rim gave me a nice, tight connection, enough to put the pieces together and use the bottom as a jam chuck for the lid, and finish turning the outside of the top. Remarkably, this went without further incident.

In order to finish the bottom, I needed to make a jam chuck, and it needed to be deep enough not to risk damaging the somewhat fragile rim. This was also accomplished without incident, perhaps making me overconfident that I would be able to bring this project to a successful conclusion. This is where the gremlins did their most dastardly deed. As I was happily removing wood from the bottom, creating a slightly concave base for the box, I experienced that peculiar sensation which accompanies the realization that one is no longer turning wood, but turning air. It's quite strange really, actually happens in an instant, yet there is still a sense of it developing over a greater period of time.

A wise man (or woman) once said "If you cant change a situation, then change the way you think about it", so I prefer to think of the gaping hole in the bottom of my box as a "secret compartment", one so vast that can contain the whole world, indeed the entire universe. It is, however, not suited to cue tips. It's such pretty wood that I might see if I can salvage it by turning a contrasting base. The base would have to be too tall in order for the box to serve it's intended purpose, so I would shorten the bottom portion significantly, making the top dominant, and use it for something else, or perhaps ditch the bottom and make a short tray-like base out of walnut. I t would then resemble one of those covered cake pans.

Well, on to the sad pictorial evidence of this whole sad episode.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_1150.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/T-Caster/media/DSC_1150.jpg.html)

As you can see, the top and bottom ended up being too close to the same height. The top ended up being taller than intended, and the bottom, obviously, shorter. On thing about the way boxes must be turned, is that the final outside turning is done in jamb mode, so you don't have instant access to the inside of the object to check your progress. I had pencil marks as landmarks, but they got turned off. I'll have to start using a thin parting tool for my landmarks if I'm to avoid such problems in the future ... or maybe it was just the gremlins.

And here is the secret compartment.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_1145.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/T-Caster/media/DSC_1145.jpg.html)

Lastly, I guess this could truly be called "over the top figure".
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_1146.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/T-Caster/media/DSC_1146.jpg.html)

Dan

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 6:56 PM
That almost brought a tear to my eye, Dan! :rolleyes:

Too nice a piece of wood to not try and do some sort of save..........best of luck with it! Thanks for the story........it was good, and instructive to those who may try a box in the near future!

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 8:30 PM
Since we are going to use this thread for you to tell about how the turning gremlins affected your project, we have changed the title just a little to ask for your story!

So fire away! :)

robert baccus
05-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Almost forgot this yeah---you gotta go buy 12 chickens and go see her. Sparing you the details it involves 12 chicken rear ends in a circle and smoke and drums for sure.