PDA

View Full Version : Gloss or Satin on Teak?

Ed Gibbons
05-28-2013, 9:32 PM
I have sanded the teak down to bare wood. Have put down two coats of Cetol satin. I am considering finishing with two more coats of gloss. I am curious as to what you folks think.

Feedback appreciated.

Jim Creech
05-29-2013, 2:37 PM
Personally I am not a fan of high gloss. If whatever you are finishing were mine I would probably wet sand what what you have and apply another coat or two of the satin. What are you finishing?

Ed Gibbons
05-29-2013, 5:18 PM
Personally I am not a fan of high gloss. If whatever you are finishing were mine I would probably wet sand what what you have and apply another coat or two of the satin. What are you finishing?

I am refinishing the teak rub rail on my 18' Marshall Sanderling catboat. I sanded it down to bare wood.

Jim Creech
05-30-2013, 1:35 PM
Nice boat! I would still stick with the satin, especially on a rub rail. I think it is just too much effort to keep it shiny. I would rather sail than try to keep bright work up. Just my personal opinion.

John Aspinall
06-13-2013, 3:42 PM
Not boat-related, but close: what do people recommend for outdoor teak furniture? A straight oil finish seems to be encouraging the growth of mildew.

Sam Murdoch
06-13-2013, 10:47 PM
The gloss is beautiful (really worth the effort) but it IS an effort to maintain, and the prep work needs to be meticulous. Satin is a working man's finish and so my preference - actually I just use oil every spring.

As for teak outdoor furniture I clean it with a good stiff brush and let it turn silvery gray. Any coat of finish means more work in the long run. Add years of life to tables and chairs by saturating the very bottom of the legs with a couple of thin coats of epoxy. You can leave them out doors all winter without any downside other than squirrels chewing on them :(.

Malcolm Schweizer
06-15-2013, 9:32 AM
Oh wow, I have the plans for a catboat but instead went with the Welsford 6M whaler. I love catboats.

Anyway, I am a big fan of semi-gloss finishes, but all the ones I have found did not have UV inhibitors. For that reason I go with gloss for exterior stuff. If anyone finds a semi-gloss equal in quality to Goldspar with a UV inhibitor let me know.