PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

Glenn Hodges
05-18-2005, 7:30 PM
This magnolia bowl is unusual for me because of the half light and half dark wood. It is 9.25 in. wide X 3.5 in. high, finished with tung oil solution, then buffed. As always your comments are welcomed.

Jerry Clark
05-18-2005, 7:51 PM
Nice bowl-- you could put it on a shelf and turn it every week, and have two different bowl for the price of one. Great contrast!:D

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2005, 8:06 PM
Wow, what a contrast. Okay, did you really just glue two different woods together? Just kidding.

I really like that bowl.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
05-18-2005, 8:16 PM
Beautiful bowl Glenn! Can't you just hear that tree...."I'll be dark wood...no ....I'll be light wood....no......I'll be..." :D

John Hart
05-18-2005, 9:03 PM
Geez Glenn...That's just beautiful...Where'd you find the tree?...And how big was it?

Glenn Hodges
05-18-2005, 9:32 PM
A big thanks to all of you. John, I saw this tree with a big plastic ribbon on it in a town about 45 miles from my house. I played detective and found out it was to be cut down because a road was being built to a new plant under construction. Had a hard time finding the right person to get permission to get the tree, but about 3 weeks later I did. It was big, and old, and as you can see it had some beautiful wood. It was so much nicer than having it hauled to a dump and burried.

Fred LeBail
05-18-2005, 9:43 PM
Glen, beautiful bowl and LOML likes it to !

Jim Becker
05-18-2005, 9:50 PM
I love it, Glen. You let the wood speak in this one with its clean form. Excellent!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
05-18-2005, 9:53 PM
Nice bowl, Glenn, and looks like it was fun to turn. I have two big magnolias in my front yard. Would much rather have them as turning wood than shade trees. The darn things are dropping something all year long and are a pain to clean up after. I have started a couple of native pecans a little farther out hoping the magnolias will die off, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to get to the lathe.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 9:56 PM
Glenn,

That is a great looking bowl!! I really love the contrasting colors.

John Miliunas
05-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Now that's what I call "recycling"! :) Kudo's to you Glenn for giving that tree a second life! Wonderful job on the rescue and equally as great on the bowl itself! Great looking finish, as well. Nice job!:) :cool:

John Hart
05-18-2005, 10:31 PM
Nice bowl, Glenn, and looks like it was fun to turn. I have two big magnolias in my front yard. Would much rather have them as turning wood than shade trees. The darn things are dropping something all year long and are a pain to clean up after. I have started a couple of native pecans a little farther out hoping the magnolias will die off, but they don't seem to be in any hurry to get to the lathe.

Well Don...All you have to do is tie a plastic ribbon around them and Glenn will make short work of them! :D

Mark Singer
05-19-2005, 1:28 AM
Glen,

it is the sublety...that make your work so special....the lightness makes one want to hold it

Michael Stafford
05-19-2005, 5:57 AM
Great looking bowl, Glenn. Magnolia is such an unlikely wood.... how does it turn; is it soft, hard, prone to tear out? Do you know what species of magnolia? It might be one of the few choices of local trees that I would have access to after storms other than pine... ;)

Nice contrast of color and very touchable looking piece! :)

Glenn Hodges
05-19-2005, 6:47 AM
Another big thank you to all of the nice comments. Mike, the magnolias around here are all called "Southern Magnolia". This may be laziness on our part or it may be correct. Most of them are found in peoples yards, but I have found a few of these flowering kinds in the woods. They are simular to, but not bay trees. The wood is relativey soft for a hardwood. This one was beside the road where an old house once stood, but alas, it had been gone for probably 50 years. The top of the tree was gone due to storm dammage. I really hate to see a statly old tree like this one meet its life's demise, but it will happen to all God's creatures, and as Mr. Harvey would say, "We all know the rest of the story."

Charles Hans
05-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Beautiful Bowl Glenn, I think that the form is really nice and it sure looks like it is begging for a rub on the side. Great job!