PDA

View Full Version : I turned my first Pen this weekend

JoAnn Duggan
05-28-2013, 6:51 PM
I finally got up the nerve to use my new Jet 1221vs and tried to make a pen. My first one was a disaster but my next two came out much better. I watched as many videos on you tube until I finally felt brave enough to turn on the lathe. After many frustrating moments I had the time of my life. I only wish I had discovered this hobby sooner. I now understand why so many say they are addicted to turning. I can't wait until the day I can turn beautiful bowls that I have seen all of you make. I am going to try to attach a couple of pictures of my pens. I had a problem with trying to get the edges down to the bushing size so my pens look a little cinched in the middle but I love them anyways. I would appreciate any critiques you could send my way.

I just can't get the pictures to upload, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

JoAnn Duggan

Tim Leiter
05-28-2013, 7:06 PM
Congratulation on turning your first pens. They are very fun to do. Can't help with the pictures. I have loaded some on before but it is hit or miss when I do them and can't give you good instructions. I am sure you will get some information from people more capable. Can't wait to see the pictures of your first pens. Make sure you keep the first, or second one to look back on after you have made them for awhile so you can see your progression in the craft................Tim.

Mike Tilley
05-28-2013, 7:28 PM
JoAnn you had better watch those pens are really addictive!!!!!

Bill Summerlin
05-28-2013, 9:52 PM
263271Congrats on ur first turning. I turned my first pen on my new old lathe (powermatic 90) today out of coca bola. Just above this reply window is an icon three spaces from the right. I believe that will allow u to post a pic. I will try it now. Took a while for the pic to load but be patient and it will appear on ur posting. These are some of my pens. I have been turning for about 4 months. Enjoy.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2013, 9:52 PM
Congrats on your first pens. There will be many more I have no doubt.

Jim Burr
05-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Good job JoAnn!! Turning utility stuff is nothing short of great fun and the big bonus, it sells easy! Pens will serve you well for years to come...glad you took the plunge!

Dan Forman
05-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Congrats on your first turnings. Hope they are the first of many.

Dan

Roger Chandler
05-29-2013, 3:02 PM
Super cool, JoAnn! May this be the start of many wonderful accomplishments at the lathe!

Matt Mackinnon
05-29-2013, 5:24 PM
JoAnn, I got a big smile with your story. When I got my lathe I am sure that I was bamboozled. I went to a store as an avid flat wood worker to buy a new bandsaw, and by what I can only assume was slight of hand, I came home with a lathe instead. What was I going to do with a lathe? How much fun can a lathe be? it just spins wood...really. I was told that pens were fun to turn so I gave it a try.

And now some 50+ pens later, they still can't wipe that smile off my face. I am glad that you took the leap and joined the turners fraternity. You won't see wood the same way again.

Drew Marold
05-30-2013, 4:52 PM
Congrats on your first success, and don't worry about the ones that didn't work out. I have a number of bowls that are 'garden art' after wrecking them in one way or another. And one of the nice thing about pens is if you mess up you can just turn it down to bare brass & start over with a new blank.

As for posting pictures, look at the little menu bar above where you type in your comment. 3rd icon from the right will say "Insert Image" if you hover over it. Click it & you can choose pictures on your computer to add to the comment.

Once you get the hang of it, don't be afraid to up your game. From looking at my pictures I've turned about 2 dozen pens over the last couple years, and went from my first simple Slimline, to some pretty high end stuff.