PDA

View Full Version : Pen---Double Dyed

Gary Max
05-18-2005, 7:22 PM
I have really got the turning bug these days.

Made this today---was not feeling like a big project---so I used my mini lathe to make this.

The pen kit is called a Baron and the wood is Box elder burl that has been double dyed---Teal and Violet-- and stablized--- I bought this from Arizona Silhouette/ Bill Baumbeck--the finish is the new TSW--buffs out great

Hope you like the pen

Jerry Clark
05-18-2005, 7:53 PM
Beautiful color and nice pens-- Great job:) !

Ernie Nyvall
05-18-2005, 8:10 PM
Beautiful stuff Gary. They have an iridescent look. Nice.

Ernie

Dominic Greco
05-18-2005, 8:37 PM
Gary,
This looks awesome? I've been wanting to turn a couple fountain pens and was just about to order some from AS. What is the TSW finish? Some type of friction applied cellulose sealer?

I just was looking over Arizona Silhouette's web site in preparation to ordering some CSUSA pen kits and stabilized blanks from Bill. However, I read the notice about Bill no longer being a CSUSA approved re-seller. And the pen kits I wanted were no longer in stock. I was somewhat bummed about that. I'd rather buy the CSUSA kits from Bill. Prior to ordering a new style of pen, I usually look through the CSUSA catalog to get an idea of the size of the finished pen, and then call Bill!

How do you like the size of the Baron pen kits? There is no overall size for the finished pen listed and I was wondering if it was comparable to the CSUSA Jr. Gent's Pen.

Thank,
Dominic

John Miliunas
05-18-2005, 8:41 PM
Gary, that is super-slick!:) Wonderful wood & coloring, as well as a nice form, especially for guys like me with a big mitt!:) Lookin' good!!!!:) :cool:

John Hart
05-18-2005, 9:00 PM
Wow!!...That is too cool!

Gary Max
05-18-2005, 9:01 PM
Dominic---CSUSA no longer has a reseller program.
TSW is a new finish on the market. You now can buff with it---apply wait 45 seconds and buff with a soft cloth. A.S.-- sales it also.
I buy all my kits from Bill--I just like the service. Service is becoming a real big thing with me. I only build 5 different types of pens.
The Baron---I like it--- can not compare to a Gent or a Gent Jr---it's different. I also like the fact that you an get it in several different finishs.

John --Thanks---I really have spent a lot of time getting this pen thing down right.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-18-2005, 9:52 PM
Gary, that is a sweet looking pen! I haven't seen anything like it.

Michael Stafford
05-19-2005, 6:01 AM
Great looking pen, a real attention getter. You using that 42X24 to turn those itty bitty pens???? :eek: ;) TSW??? I am not familiar with the term or the finish. Please explain. Beautiful work, Gary! :)

John Hart
05-19-2005, 6:37 AM
---I really have spent a lot of time getting this pen thing down right.

Well...you certainly steal the show! Someday, I'll make a pen...gonna start learning in June when Blake McCully comes for a visit.

Gary Max
05-19-2005, 7:01 AM
John if you ever start making pens forget having any free time. There are some real cool things that come from making pens. The best is attenion to detail --you are wanting something that is perfect. I like all the different kind of woods---I never had any ideal there are so many. I am a member of another site called penturners.org if you ever need any help stop in. Some of the best pen makers in the country are members.

John Hart
05-19-2005, 7:08 AM
Gary - Will do...thanks! As far as free time, I've managed to integrate everything I do into this "noise" of things to do....But when I'm in the woodshop...everything goes away. I hope that the attention to detail required for pen-making will focus me and help me to relax....Thats what turning does for me.