PDA

View Full Version : First time for Hide Glue.

Dave Beauchesne
05-28-2013, 4:13 PM
I decided to use hide glue after the good press from SMC and elsewhere; my experience in the past with dovetail glue ups has been dicey at times.

What I really liked was the fact the hide glue helped slide the snug pins and tails together. PVA seemed to swell the wood a touch in the time it took to apply glue to the pins and tails, and then it was grabby if there was any adjustments to be made.

I used the prepared Old Brown Glue from LV, heated the bottle in a mug of hot tap water, and made a small double boiler of sorts to squirt a small quantity into while applying it in my cool shop. A piece of aluminum foil secured with a rubber band over the top of a mug of hot water kept the glue warm during glue up.

In this case, there was a captured back panel, divider and shelf, which made for a bit of angst. Thankfully our daughter had stopped by for the extra hands needed for the task, and everything went fine and everything was square first time.

Now to let it harden and continue from there.

Wayne Crider
05-28-2013, 6:08 PM
I've yet to use it but have been considering buying some recently. I know that it was used extensively to glue up wood frames for the old 4x5 Graphic cameras also known as press cameras of the 30's and 40's. One of the attributes of the glue is that it pulls in whatever it is being used to glue up. On the old press cameras they used not only for the box joints but for the leather over the frame as well. I've removed leather from the frames when working on the cameras and it comes off with steam. Its one of those product that allow you to make repairs to any furniture, but seems strong as well.

Jim Mackell
05-28-2013, 6:49 PM
I repair 100 year old trolley cars where hide glue was used extensively in window sashes and various mortise and tenon joints. For the most part, as long as the joint was kept dry, the glue is just as good as it was when it was first applied. If exposed to moisture in any significant amount over time, the glue has completely failed and the joints can be pulled apart by hand. Good stuff if you keep your joints dry!