PDA

View Full Version : How to handle rounded outside corners when installing trim...

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 4:11 PM
I have a potential job that has a couple dozen rounded outside corners. I may be as to make something to fit. However, I'd rather buy something prefab to save me the time.

I trust you guys know what I'm talking about. Here's a pic of the trim profile they want.

Any tips?

Garrett Ellis
05-28-2013, 5:27 PM
i've seen it done where each corner consists of 3 pieces, side 1, side 2, and a short middle piece like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5rPeN49yY2k/T5ol_qQtMXI/AAAAAAAAAw4/s3kr8ZLKdoM/s1600/IMG_0222.JPG

the radius of the corner would determine the length of the middle piece. angles are cut at 22.5 instead of 45 degrees if using 3 pieces.

Ryan Mooney
05-28-2013, 5:37 PM
I found 2 intermediate pieces to look slightly better on some trim (15 degree angles). When I did our house I figured out about the right size for the small pieces and then pre-cut a whole bucket of them with ~approximate~ sizes as the actual radius of the corners seemed to vary a bit that allowed me to mix and match fit as I went. It was a bit tedious though.

Larry Edgerton
05-28-2013, 5:47 PM
In that situation I turn a copy on the lathe and bore the center. The inside radius is bigger than the curve on the wall by the thickness of a saw blade plus a scosche to make up for cutting them into quarters. Really does not take all that long to crank out a batch of them as each turning is four corners.

Larry

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 8:10 PM
i've seen it done where each corner consists of 3 pieces, side 1, side 2, and a short middle piece like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5rPeN49yY2k/T5ol_qQtMXI/AAAAAAAAAw4/s3kr8ZLKdoM/s1600/IMG_0222.JPG

the radius of the corner would determine the length of the middle piece. angles are cut at 22.5 instead of 45 degrees if using 3 pieces.

That's cool. Mental note... These are oak and will be stained. I don't imagine the gap at the top where the small piece backs up against the radius would look too good. If painted, I could fill it with lightweight joint compound.

Any tips for filling? If I use the two 22.5 DEG idea?

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 8:11 PM
In that situation I turn a copy on the lathe and bore the center. The inside radius is bigger than the curve on the wall by the thickness of a saw blade plus a scosche to make up for cutting them into quarters. Really does not take all that long to crank out a batch of them as each turning is four corners.

Larry

That's the ideal option. Except I dot have a lathe yet... Yet!!!

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 8:12 PM
Good ideas guys. Keep em coming!!!

tim morris
05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
See if you can find a dealer for Ferche moldings. That is an F-218 base. If you are talking about like 1 1/4" radius corner bead they make the round piece to do what you are trying to do. They are fairly economical when you consider your time gluing and fitting all of the small segments and filling the tops to make them look right.

Michael Dunn
05-29-2013, 12:02 AM
See if you can find a dealer for Ferche moldings. That is an F-218 base. If you are talking about like 1 1/4" radius corner bead they make the round piece to do what you are trying to do. They are fairly economical when you consider your time gluing and fitting all of the small segments and filling the tops to make them look right.

Awesome!!! Will do. I was hoping for something like that. I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanx man!!!

Tom Blank
05-29-2013, 12:50 AM
We have some round corners in our house (bought it did not build it). They used the three-piece method Garrett described and filled the small gaps with joint compound. By the time you add primer and a coat or two of paint, the gaps absolutely disappear.

Tom

Michael Dunn
05-29-2013, 7:21 AM
We have some round corners in our house (bought it did not build it). They used the three-piece method Garrett described and filled the small gaps with joint compound. By the time you add primer and a coat or two of paint, the gaps absolutely disappear.

Tom

I must've forgot to mention. These will be stained with a pickled oak stain. So, no joint compound.

Bruce Wrenn
05-29-2013, 1:49 PM
Try making up a corner as described, but with a good coat of wax, or wax paper covering the back. Spread some DW compound on corner, and press test piece into comp. Trim comp flush with top of test piece. Let it set overnight and remove test piece, and see if backing comp stays in place. Due to shrinkage with regular comp., you may want to use setting comp. Another option is to prefinish base, and add a piece of blue tape to top, then install as usual. After installing corner, pack with setting comp. Remove tape when set.

Joseph Tarantino
05-29-2013, 6:05 PM
i saw that done on a DIY show. the finish carpenter cut the BB into shallow angled thin pieces which he then glued together to round a rounded corner. took a long time to do this way and a great deal of patience (maybe not the best alternative for you), but it looked fabulous when finished. seeing as how you're doing this for hire and not fun, you'll probably need something that will work much faster and easier.

Michael Dunn
05-29-2013, 7:08 PM
I found a local lumber co. that can make them for about $7-8/ea. that's what the customer has agreed to.

Thanx for the tips guys!!! I'll post pics once I'm done. That is, if the proposal is accepted.