PDA

View Full Version : Any clue what finish this is?

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 2:52 PM
I have a potential job in which I need to match this finish. I've seen it before, but do not know what to look for. The homeowner called it "pickled oak". Any tips on what I should buy? I prefer GF stains. Does GF make something like this?

Any tips?

Prashun Patel
05-28-2013, 3:25 PM
Scroll to the bottom; Jeff sells a Pickled Oak stain.
http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/dyestains.htm (http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/dyestains.htm)

There are a couple ways to do this 'homemade'. The basic technique is to seal the wood, then apply diluted white paint as a 'glaze', then seal it in with your top coat.

That looks like it was sealed with a waterbased finish, so I'd start my tests (and you better test before committing) with a seal coat of a water based finish, then painted on white Zinnser BIN primer (diluted 1:3 with ethanol), repeat until the depth looks ok. Then apply a couple more coats of the top coat, sprayed if possible.

There are several ways to skin this cat. Nice thing is that with glazing, you can sneak up on the look, so I have faith you'll be able to get darn close.

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 4:41 PM
Ill be sure to check that info out and do some tests. So if I'm doing roughly 300' of this at roughly 3" wide how much time should I expect for this process to take? It sounds like a 2 or 3 step process. Any thoughts on the labor aspect of finishing like this?

John TenEyck
05-28-2013, 8:10 PM
I did this red oak and oak plywood cabinet a couple of years ago.

I had to match an existing vanity and trim in the bathroom. I tried several approaches and got the best match by using Zar's oil based stain called "Coastal Boards" directly on the sanded wood, followed by GF's HI Perf. Poly topcoat, after waiting 72 hours for the stain to cure. I tried a couple of WB pickling stains but couldn't get them on large surfaces as uniformly as the OB stain. I tried sealing the wood first, but that left the pickling pretty much only in the pores. So, it depends upon the look you are trying to copy on how best to go about it. The only way to decide is to get a couple of products and make some test specimens. If you need to keep the topcoat from yellowing over time make sure to use a WB topcoat.

John

Tom McMahon
05-28-2013, 9:04 PM
That finish is called pickled oak, if it is on trim it is in all likelihood done with a commercially available product. Many companies make a pickling stain.

Michael Dunn
05-28-2013, 9:18 PM
That finish is called pickled oak, if it is on trim it is in all likelihood done with a commercially available product. Many companies make a pickling stain.

Awesome. I see that minwax makes a pickled oak stain. Do you think one coat will suffice? Will a quart cover 300' at 3" wide? Should I use a top cote as some others have suggested?

Prashun Patel
05-29-2013, 10:09 AM
I would definitely top coat with something compatible with the stain. Without a top coat, the finish will remain vulnerable to wear and tear.

Rich Engelhardt
05-30-2013, 8:06 AM
Back when you could buy a flat alkyd enamel wall paint, a white pickling stain was made by mixing mineral spirits & the flat alkyd enamel together.
Usually 50/50 or 60 (thinner)/40 (paint).
A top coat was optional & usually only done to add some sheen.

Those days are gone now & you'll be dealing with a pigmented wiping stain - be it GF, Zar or Old Masters - to get the effect you're after.
(The MinWax is too light on pigment to give that type of effect.)
The stains will require a top coat of clear - I'd avoid oil based poly in this case because it's too yellow - because as Prashun points out, the stain has little if any durability.

A clear acrylic waterborne would be the preferred top coat - just allow a lot of time for the stain to dry before top coating.

A quart of stain will be plenty - it goes on at a rate of ~ 600 sq. ft per gallon & you have ~ 75 sq feet to cover & one coat of a pigmented wiping stain should do the job w/out any trouble - if not, you have plenty of material for a second coat if need be.
A quart of clear top coat should also be enough to give it two coats also.

Bill Graham
05-30-2013, 6:19 PM
I have a potential job in which I need to match this finish. I've seen it before, but do not know what to look for. The homeowner called it "pickled oak". Any tips on what I should buy? I prefer GF stains. Does GF make something like this?

Any tips?

Looks like the trim that was all the rage 15 years ago or so. My painters used to do it by brushing on diluted flat white latex, wiping it back with a damp rag to the desired look and then a quick scuff sand with a sponge to get rid of the fuzzies. Doesn't look like your sample was even clearcoated but if you need to use a waterbourne clear.

The cabinet guys took a little more care, used a pickling stain and lacquer topcoat, but the trim work was quick and dirty. Just like what you're holding.

HTH,
Bill