PDA

View Full Version : Metal Lathes First metal lathe project

Matt Meiser
05-27-2013, 10:08 PM
I've bought a couple of the gearbox attachments for my Stihl trimmer. Stihl doesn't supply anything to plug the hole where the driveshaft goes into the attachment and since its greased I think that's a recipe for trouble in my garage. I couldn't find anything that I thought would work well after a little searching last night, so I made these up today on my dad's lathe. Nothing really spectacular but still kind of exciting to do a first project. The shafts are 1", but he had some 1-1/8" stock so I turned down, faced the ends, drilled and tapped a blind 1/4-20 holes for the eyes. I realized after I was done that I could probably hang the attachments from them (I have a bunch of the Rubbermaid Fast Track stuff installed) but the tines on the tiller will make a mess of the the drywall.

I'm supposed to be moving this lathe to my shop but haven't figured out where it's going. Got me thinking a little harder now!

George Carlson
05-28-2013, 9:26 AM
That's great. There's no doubt that the best way to learn machine tool operation is by doing.

David G Baker
05-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Be careful Matt, working with metal is as addictive as working with wood. I have a 10 inch heavy duty Southbend lathe built in the 50's and a tool-room mill made by Bridgeport. I don't use them as much as I once did but they are there when I need them. I don't do much precision work I just cut until I get close and then cut until the part fits. I have seen some of your metal working projects here and on the Tractor site, you are very talented. Your plug project is a great start and it looks great. George is so right the best way to learn metal working is by doing.

Gus Dundon
05-29-2013, 4:56 PM
Great output. It's really good to work with lathe. Aside from the fact that it can replicate itself.