PDA

View Full Version : portraits

hugh bunker
05-27-2013, 8:25 PM
Some playing around with photos from the web. All on BB ply.

Frank Corker
05-28-2013, 6:39 AM
Nice work Hugh

Jeff Woodcock
05-28-2013, 7:00 AM
Those came out very good Hugh!

Any detail on the process you used.

If you don't mind, can you post a link to one of those pictures on the web so I can try it with my laser diode by varying the power on BB Ply? Also, can you post a larger picture of your engraving of the one you link so I can see a comparison of the 2 different laser engraving processes. Those pics are real small for viewing and seeing the detail.

Thanks. Jeff

Vicki Rivrud
05-28-2013, 8:39 AM
Some playing around with photos from the web. All on BB ply.

Very NICE! If you would share some technique info I sure would appreciate the help.

Were these web photos b&w, what dpi did you run through photograv??

Thanks a bunch,
Vicki

Vladimir Suvorin
05-28-2013, 9:19 AM
Hello!
I've tried engraving on wood some time ago with diode laser without much luck - continous line would look like chain of burns. That laser was relatively weak though, ~5W.
Also, this is my first post :-)

Mike Null
05-28-2013, 9:22 AM
Vladimir

Welcome to SawMill Creek. We'll look forward to your posts.

Jeff Woodcock
05-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello!
I've tried engraving on wood some time ago with diode laser without much luck - continous line would look like chain of burns. That laser was relatively weak though, ~5W.
Also, this is my first post :-)

Welcome Vladimir,

Me and others are getting very good results with 445nm laser diodes between the 1-2W range of power on different substrates. Mine is only a 1W and there are many variables with the setup of this process to be able to get good results and be consistent.

hugh bunker
05-29-2013, 6:54 AM
These were 96 dpi web pics. I opened them in corel draw and changed to 8 bit greyscale bitmap then saved and opened in photograv, I resized in photograv to around 6x8 and 400 dpi then used the cherry light vertical grain option and auto process. I engraved them at 400mm a second at 40 percent power. I have been trying a lot of different ways to get the best look and changing them to greyscale bitmaps seems to do the best for my set up.

hugh bunker
05-29-2013, 7:00 AM
Thanks. It's been fun trying to get the right process.

Vicki Rivrud
05-29-2013, 8:39 AM
Thanks Hugh,
What controller is in your Turnkey or is it branded Turnkey?

I do believe that the Turnkey/Laserworks system handles greyscale bitmaps better than the Leetro/Lasercut controller.

However I will give your method a try. Can you post the link to the portraits as they look very clean.

Sometimes Photograv baffles me, so when you save the bmp from Photograv it is a 1 bit black and white for engraving?

Thanks
Vicki

hugh bunker
05-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes photograv saves a 1 bit B/W image for engraving. I find I get more detail from loading a gray scale into photograv vs a color photo. My turnkey is running laserwork 5.2 and the controller board has no name on it, not a bunch of help I know. With 150 watts you may loose some detail as your focal spot will be bigger than a 60 watt will be. Here is a larger one.263311