PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about cutting this section.....

Ron Stadler
05-27-2013, 6:56 PM
I have this front panel to cut on this grinding cabinet I'm building and wanted to know your thoughts on cutting this panel accurately, Iv'e thought of just measuring it out and transferring it to the panel itself and then cutting it out or cutting the panel to the overall size and screwing it to the front and then tracing from the inside to where the cutouts should be. I am sure being a fairly new woodworker that not everything is perfectly square in this project so keep that in mind, just not sure what the best way of going about this, thanks.

Frank McKinney
05-27-2013, 9:01 PM
If you're talking about cutting it from a single sheet of plywood (or other sheet good), I'd clamp a straight edge and use a jig saw.

lowell holmes
05-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I would not make it one piece. I would make it like a stile and rail construction.
If the joinery is an issue for you, pocket screws work really good. Lowes had pocket screws when I looked sometime ago.

Sam Murdoch
05-27-2013, 10:45 PM
There are ways to do this on the table saw or best of all using a track saw to achieve good results cutting a door our of a single sheet of ply with the grain all matching but really the safest and easiest way:

Starting with a panel at least 3/8" bigger than your intended finished dimensions to allow for the kerf from the table saw blade (or use a thin kerf for more optimum yield)

1) Rip the 2 outsides (looks like maybe 2-1/2" to 3" stiles)

2) Crosscut the top and bottom off the doors section,

3) Cut the doors apart

4) Reattach the top and bottom rails to the 2 stiles with glue and pocket screws or loose tenons or even pieces of cleat glued and screwed to the
backs.

5) Hinge the doors

This is not a sophisticated technique but it will give good results safely and be completely acceptable for a shop cabinet.

Richard Shaefer
05-28-2013, 7:41 AM
I think I'd dowel or nail a slightly oversized piece of plywood to the cabinet cacase and then use a bottm bearing router bit to flush-up the outside sides and the inside bottom. then I'd use a top bearing bit and a clames or screwed piece of wood as a gude to cut the inside sides and the outside bottom. If you set the depth of the router bit about 1/32" shy of cutting all the way through the plywood, you can cut the last of the waste away with a razor knife and without damaging the shelf edges or the legs.

Ron Stadler
05-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Well I guess I'm going to disappoint everyone, I told a coworker (who's a carpenter) my cabinet and showed him what my dilima was and he suggested not to put a panel on at all and just mount my doors, so thats what I did, well that was easy, lol. Thanks for everyone's advice though, nice of all you to share your knowledge. I'm sure I'll being asking more questions on the next one.

Frank McKinney
05-29-2013, 5:02 PM
Sometimes, the simple solution is best. Good on you for getting it done.