PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lathe 1236 Question

Von Bickley
05-18-2005, 3:37 PM
I am looking at getting the Jet 1236 and was wanting your thoughts about this lathe.
I will be turning 2" - 2.5" stock, 22" to 28" long. This wood will be used for pedestals for small pedestal tables.
I will also be interested in trying my hand at turning a few bowls in the future. I have NO interest in turning pens.
Please let me know your thoughts about this lathe... ;)

Jim Becker
05-18-2005, 4:34 PM
Since this lathe design was principally designed for spindle turning "way back when", it's a very good fit for your intended primary use as well as your secondary use. The newer 14" Jet lathe is a better machine, however...

Steve Roxberg
05-18-2005, 5:22 PM
I have one and it's just ok, but I wouldn't buy one again. You would really serve yourself well to jump up to the new Jet 12".

Or buy a used 1236 and get the same functionality for less money.

John Shuk
05-18-2005, 5:23 PM
I have this lathe and am pretty happy with it. It isn't perfect but does it's job well. Just be careful tightening the tool rest post. It is made from junky metal and the screw sinks in. I called Jet and they replaced the whole assembly for free. Good luck with it.
John

David Fried
05-18-2005, 10:37 PM
I am yet another 1236 owner. I bought it as a first lathe to learn on as it was only a little more than a mini + bed extension + stand, etc.. I'm very happy with it as a beginners first lathe but if you're past the learning stage I think the advice to look at some others that offer more is sound. Good turning.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-19-2005, 12:45 AM
what Jim Becker said...

I turned on a 1236 for a few years...mostly table legs and such. Last year I bought the 1442...and the difference is phenomenal. It's more money, but worth every penny.

KC

Andrew Haynes
05-19-2005, 8:01 AM
I've had one for a few years now and it's been a good starter lathe. The only problem I've encountered was the variable speed drive pulley was not staked very well and worked loose. This seems to be a common problem with these pot metal drive pulleys, my neighbor had the same problem with his Grizzly. I squared away both of them with a little Loctite for studs and a hammer and punch. :D

Dave Anderson NH
05-19-2005, 10:24 AM
I had a Jet 1236 for about 5-6 years and it gave me excellant service. I used it mostly for spindle turning, but did the occasional bowl and plate on it too. I replaced it about a month ago with the 2 hp 220v Jet 1642 with electronic variable speed and reverse.

If you buy the 1236 make sure you add a plywood shelf on the crossbracing between the legs and build a box on it to fill with plastic bags of play sand. It adds considerable stability and really will make turning a lot easier and more vibration free. The 1236 is a fine starter lathe, but if you really do a lot of turning you will want to upgrade at some point.

terry richards
05-22-2005, 2:46 PM
Like many other respondents, I had a 1236 for a few years. I traded up to a larger machine a couple of years ago. I may get a JET mini someday, but would probably not go back to the 1236.

When you are cleaning up some wet, heavy, and rough unbalanced stock, the mimimum speed of about 500 - 550 rpm on the 1236 can really make the thing dance, even with a tray full of sandbags - makes you want to stand back a half-step. I would have preferred to be able to slow it down further until I knocked off the bark and the stubs, rounded it off a little, then bring up the speed for actual turning.

Otherwise, I had no mechanical or electrical problems at all with the machine. The reaves pulley system was a bit sluggish in changing speeds when it was very cold, but loosened up fine, once the machine warmed up a few degrees.