PDA

View Full Version : Projects and excessive tool use

John Piwaron
05-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, maybe not excessive, but what is it about working on a project that results in a large number of tools being brought into play to complete it? I remember a time when I didn't have too many to use yet things still got done.

I just completed a small task this morning that ended up using 12 tools plus 3 chemicals. And it was the simplest of tasks.

I've noticed that every project is like this. For some, everything I own comes into play at some point. :)

Rich Engelhardt
05-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Things just get done smoother (not necessarily faster) when you have all the right tools at your disposal.
There's also a great deal more enjoyment when you don't have to make do with something because you lack the proper tool for the job.

Tom Ewell
05-27-2013, 12:12 PM
I used to call that "tool bound", trying to use the best (available to use) tool for a particular job regardless of the fact that another tool will still get it done. The only time it concerns me is when it causes undo extra time to get out, setup and put away the best tool for the job. Cleanup also adds to the extra time so if the best tool lessens cleanup time then that's a bonus. A simple job of opening a can of finish can be cause to pull out another tool, don't want to use the chisel already on the bench, the handy screwdriver is Philips, so I go get the lid pry tool hanging on the wall.

Ellen Benkin
05-27-2013, 12:15 PM
My tools are in the workshop in the garage. I always say that no project in the house is completed until I have almost every tool moved from the garage to the house. And then I have to move them all back again.

John Piwaron
05-27-2013, 12:25 PM
My tools are in the workshop in the garage. I always say that no project in the house is completed until I have almost every tool moved from the garage to the house. And then I have to move them all back again.

Love it! :)

'Jacques Malan'
05-27-2013, 12:30 PM
I always reach a point in a project where I stop, put everything away, clean, and then go on again.

I admire people who don't have to.

Art Mann
05-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I work on "Habitat for Humanity" houses. I will volunteer to do a little finish carpentry and will bring along a SCMS, a nail gun and a few hand tools. Before I am done, I usually have every tool I own that weighs less than 200 pounds at the job site. It just always seems to happen that way.

Lornie McCullough
05-27-2013, 1:24 PM
I work on "Habitat for Humanity" houses. I will volunteer to do a little finish carpentry and will bring along a SCMS, a nail gun and a few hand tools. Before I am done, I usually have every tool I own that weighs less than 200 pounds at the job site. It just always seems to happen that way.

A wise elderly friend once told me: "A REAL MAN wouldn't go anywhere without EVERY tool he owned."

Lornie

eugene thomas
05-27-2013, 1:43 PM
Its nice to have options. Working on dresor for bedroom set at moment. Used dowels, dominos, and my mortiser on it

Chris Hachet
05-27-2013, 1:44 PM
Well, maybe not excessive, but what is it about working on a project that results in a large number of tools being brought into play to complete it? I remember a time when I didn't have too many to use yet things still got done.

I just completed a small task this morning that ended up using 12 tools plus 3 chemicals. And it was the simplest of tasks.

I've noticed that every project is like this. For some, everything I own comes into play at some point. :)

I have found proper hand tool use can cut down wildly on the number of power tools I need and the time I spend using them.

Chris Hachet
05-27-2013, 1:48 PM
I hAve the same issue

johnny means
05-27-2013, 2:06 PM
I like to think that no project is complete until I've used every available tool and had to purchased another tool.:D

Joseph Tarantino
05-27-2013, 2:58 PM
...... For some, everything I own comes into play at some point. :)

you just need a whole lot more tools so there are more tools that can be left stored away for another project.