PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Felder 540 Bandsaw in a VW Passat wagon

Jim C Martin
05-27-2013, 9:34 AM
Hello All:
I have committed to buy a Felder 540 bandsaw and now am trying to figure out the best way to get it from its current location to mine (6 hr drive each way).
I have a 2003 VW Passat wagon. Based on the dimensions the seller has provided (I'd love to see a nice dimensioned drawing) I am pretty sure it will fit in my car. Barely. I will take out the back seats and push the passenger front seat all the way forward. The upper cabinet should fit between the drivers seat and the door. I planned to put some laminate plywood down to help it slide in. Also planned to bring some strong beams to to help slide it into the back. Probably need to pull off the starter switch so it doesn't get squashed. Edit: I also intend to remove the table.
The seller is telling me that my approach will be very difficult because of the weight of the saw. I've moved a Powermatic 141 bandsaw in my wagon but it only weighs 300lbs. The Felder is listed at 240kg or 528lbs. Yes, that's heavy but I'm thinking that surely 2 guys can handle it one end at a time. Am I nuts? Is it just too awkward?
Please share your thoughts and experiences on moving a medium sized bandsaw.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

mreza Salav
05-27-2013, 9:55 AM
I have moved many things in my cars (including a 650lb cabinet saw) but I think this is one thing I'd not attempt to do.
Do you have a hitch? if yes, I'd rent a trailer and haul it that way. I think the saw will be difficult to push in all the way and you don't know what's going to stick out in the way and prevent you from fitting it there.

Rick Frye
05-27-2013, 9:58 AM
Take some tools and a camera with you. My solution in the past with heavy equipment such as a Delta DJ-20 and a Unisaw with a 50" fence and table has been to take good pictures and then a partial disassemble. Heavy items like the motor and cast tops are easy to remove and reassemble. With the band saw just the motor top and two doors will remove quiet a bit of weight.

David Wong
05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
If you are going to lay the bandsaw down, it is best to do it on its spine. I have a 2004 Felder 540, and there is a lot of weight at the base. The previous owner told me he moved it by tipping it onto a bed of a pickup. I got a lift gate truck and moved it upright.

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I would remove the motor, table and both wheels, that makes the pieces of a weight that a couple of people could slide into a station wagon..........Rod.

Jim C Martin
05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
I like this approach! Two cast iron wheels, table, fence, and motor should add up to a huge weight savings.
I've never removed a direct drive bandsaw motor. Anything I need to know about it? Anyone know where I could find an exploded drawing of a Felder/ACM 540?
I should probably take every conceivable tool.
Thanks,
Jim

Peter Kelly
05-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Rent a truck with a lift gate (Penske has these). Transporting a 20" saw 6 hrs is going to beat up the engine, suspension, interior and drive train of a station wagon. A 14" saw would be do-able but 20" is just way too risky even after disassembling it.

David Wong
05-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Jim,

I have a pdf of the Felder 540 manual from 2003 - (actually covers models 400-840). There is a fuzzy exploded diagram in it. PM me your email address and I can send it to you. About 1.3mb.

Rod Sheridan
05-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I like this approach! Two cast iron wheels, table, fence, and motor should add up to a huge weight savings.
I've never removed a direct drive bandsaw motor. Anything I need to know about it? Anyone know where I could find an exploded drawing of a Felder/ACM 540?
I should probably take every conceivable tool.
Thanks,
Jim

Are you sure it's a direct drive moter? I would expect a belt drive on it.............Rod.

Bill ThompsonNM
05-27-2013, 12:27 PM
When I moved an LT18 over the same distance in a Dodge Caravan I first put together a sheet of 3/4 plywood with 2x4's on the edges. I then added casters to the bottom. We strapped it to the back of the saw, laid it down on the back bumper and then lifted the bottom until the front casters were on the back deck. We then rolled it forward, it would be really hard to do any lifting inside the car. It worked but it was close and the caravan is pretty big. I don't know how it compares with a passat. It sure seems to me they might be a tad smaller. The passat does have enough hp to pull a small rental trailer, I'd be tempted to go that way. (And yes I used more than straps, I had plywood and 2x4 angle brackets I screwed next to the saw to keep it from rolling side to side). Good Luck!

Joseph Tarantino
05-27-2013, 2:55 PM
......6 hr drive each way.....

hope you're getting it for a really great price. a 12 hr RT and not being certain it'll fit in the transport vehicle wouldn't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy.

David Kumm
05-27-2013, 3:09 PM
Belt drive machine so likely the lower wheel needs to come off unless there is a big enough hole in the back for the pulley to exit. Wheels, table, and motor should take 300 or so of the 500 lbs off the machine so whether or not it fits is really the issue if you are willing to dismantle. Cargo van or long bed pickup would work. 540 is quite a bit heavier than the LT18 and bulkier. Dave

C Scott McDonald
05-27-2013, 5:04 PM
I would just rent a little U-Haul box truck. It isn't worth the aggravation of trying to get it into a station wagon.

zayd alle
05-27-2013, 9:43 PM
It's $20 to rent a Uhaul 5x8 trailer. It's really the way to go if you have a tow hitch.

Stephen Cherry
05-27-2013, 9:49 PM
It's $20 to rent a Uhaul 5x8 trailer. It's really the way to go if you have a tow hitch.

Yup. Why damage your car?

Rick Fisher
05-27-2013, 9:56 PM
I am picturing a sunroof .. Very cool .. Might be permanent..

Myk Rian
05-27-2013, 10:18 PM
I would invest in a hitch for the car, if you plan on keeping it.
U-haul uses 2" balls and usually special wiring, but if you were to find a used trailer, (mine is 4'x6') you'll find more uses for it.
A 1 7/8" ball is OK. Trailer wiring for the car can be found in all auto stores. If you have wiring installed by a hitch company, MAKE SURE you get a lighting converter if you need/pay for one. About $35 for that piece alone.

John Sanford
05-28-2013, 6:27 PM
Not worth the hassle. Seriously, unless you're committed to damaging your car's interior (do your back seats fold flat?), possibly busting out your rear window, injuring yourself and/or your helper as you attempt to wrassle an unwieldy beast into a small cave, I would forgo hauling it IN the Passat. It MAY be possible, but finding out it isn't after a 6 hour drive will put a damper on your new tool glow.

Either rent a trailer from U-Haul, or borrow a truck/van from a relative/friend. Renting a truck from U-Haul will quite possibly cost you as much as just having it shipped, because you're likely talking about the mileage charge for 600 miles, plus gas. The trailer rental, even with hitch installation, will probably cost less than a truck rental.

Art Mann
05-29-2013, 2:13 PM
Hello All:
. . . Am I nuts? Is it just too awkward? . . .

Yes, it is just too awkward. If you attempt this anyway, yes, I would say you are nuts. . . . You asked!

Bruce Page
05-29-2013, 3:02 PM
It’s not something I would do considering the typical New Mexican driver. There’s a good chance I’d be wearing it around my neck.

Jim Matthews
05-29-2013, 4:15 PM
If you have time to do a proper disassembly, and can securely strap it inside it can be done (I suppose).

Felder lists the 540, fully dressed at 600 pounds - well within the capacity of a Passat wagon.
The problem is the protruding parts of the bandsaw, and what will happen to them as it shifts around.

One quick stop, and the whole thing is going to continue moving forward - toward the vehicle operator.

+ 1 on renting a pickup truck or UHaul with a ramp to move this thing properly.

Geoff Crimmins
05-29-2013, 9:33 PM
If you transport it in the car, I would urge you to strap the saw and all the parts securely to the vehicle so nothing can move in the event of crash. You don't want a 30-pound bandsaw wheel flying into the back of your head at 55 mph.

--Geoff

Stephen Cherry
05-29-2013, 10:04 PM
I can think of tons of things to do with a small wagon, with a hitch and a utility trailer. Need a few sheets of plywood, lumber, etc. Going to the dump. Picking up a craigslist score.

Jeff Monson
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Tough call, bouncing a trailer 6 hours each way is not always the most fun either, rainstorms and keeping it properly covered for that long can be a real pain. If you knew for sure it would fit in your car, I'd tend to lean that way. Disassemble as others have suggested and it should be a manageable weight. Just make sure to take the time to secure it properly and you should be fine. Once its in the car and secured it will be much easier than dealing with a trailer IMO

Jim Neeley
05-30-2013, 4:16 AM
Is your Passat rated for 2 grown men (you add the weight) + 600# of cargo + your gear? That number quickly exceeds a half-ton.

Doug Richardson
05-30-2013, 9:01 AM
It's threads like this that make me feel good about driving a cargo van. Rest of the time..... not so much.....:D

I too, would play it safe and either rent a trailer, or a van or truck. Or better yet, don't you know someone you could cajole into letting you borrow their van or truck for a day?

mreza Salav
05-30-2013, 10:17 AM
eventhought the OP hasn't responded to this thread lately I thought I add one more option:
if you can get it crated check into having it shipped by a freight company. I bought a 24" bandsaw long distance and I was VERY surprised how cheap I could get it shipped.
The total cost (all said) for shipping it about 550miles with a lift gate service at destination was cheaper than the cost of gas if I wanted to drive there to pick it up (forget about the hassle).

Bill ThompsonNM
05-30-2013, 3:35 PM
Is your Passat rated for 2 grown men (you add the weight) + 600# of cargo + your gear? That number quickly exceeds a half-ton.
Good comment, I just looked it up, depending on year it varies from about 1000 to 1200 lbs. it won't much equipment to put it over that.