PDA

View Full Version : Greene and Greene finish question

Wayne Fuder
05-27-2013, 12:08 AM
I am in the process of making a medicine cabinet in the Greene and Greene style. I am using some cheery that I had stored away. My question is what to finish it with in order to end up with a dark rich color like one would expect to see in mahogany which is what Greene and Greene is usually made with? I am guessing that I will need to use some kind of dye rather than a stain. What say yea?

Larry Edgerton
05-27-2013, 7:22 AM
Finish the cabinet and take it out in direct sunlight for a couple of days. It will darken up considerably.

Larry

Jim Rimmer
05-29-2013, 1:55 PM
I would recommend a dye. I made some A&C bed tables of mahogany (photo) and experimented with the dye until I got the color LOML liked. Just take a scrap and follow your complete finishing steps all the way to the end with different color mixes. Be sure to write down your formulas. I experimented with Dark Mission Brown and Brown Mahogany (Transtint). I am at work so I don't have my formula at hand.

Prashun Patel
05-29-2013, 1:59 PM
Know that cherry will darken over time considerably, so the dyed color you start with will be lighter than what you end with.
If it were me, I'd bathe it in the sun, seal it with garnet shellac to kickstart the color, then optionally top coat.

Jeff Monson
05-29-2013, 2:28 PM
My favorite finish for cherry, BLO, followed by amber shellac, finish with a clear topcoat.

Stan Calow
06-01-2013, 9:27 PM
Wayne
All the G&G photos I've seen, the wood looks pretty brown, not red, so I would try a light application of greenish dye to cut the red first. Then brownish dye to even the color among pieces. However, since cherry will darken up anyway not too much more color. I note that the descriptions I've read of G&G finish with mahogany are pretty complicated. Since grain is so different between mahogany and cherry, even if you can get same color, the look will be different.