PDA

View Full Version : Aspen

Doug Herzberg
05-26-2013, 10:24 AM
The neighbor who gave me the Colorado blue Ponderosa last year called yesterday to say her husband was cutting down the Aspen trees out front. She said to hurry before he cut them all into firewood. I arrived promptly, just beating out another neighbor who owns a portable sawmill. It all worked out in the end. I took the stumps and he took the trunks, leaving the husband to clean up the slash. This is my first time working with Aspen. I'll give it to the neighbor to encourage her to keep calling.

Lately, I've been having a little trouble with finishes on wet wood. I sealed this with blonde shellac, sanded, and followed with one coat of Watco DO so far. It seems a little blotchy and I don't know if it is my technique, the end grain or just the wet wood. 4-7/8" x 2" x 3/64". C&C and advice appreciated.

Jim Burr
05-26-2013, 12:22 PM
It's not big enough!! Great form Doug, interesting foot...I like it! It looks like the curve goes flat near the rim, and it could be my glasses are cock-eyed! Nice work!

charlie knighton
05-26-2013, 2:34 PM
very nice, turn it before the mold gets into it, did you have a fuzzies with the interlocking grain?

Doug Herzberg
05-26-2013, 3:59 PM
very nice, turn it before the mold gets into it, did you have a fuzzies with the interlocking grain?

Not like with cottonwood, Charlie. The wood was very stringy and for some reason dulled my Thompson gouges quickly. First time I've really had to hone every few minutes.

Is mold an issue? I sealed the ends, but my intuition was to also put it in trash bags to keep it as moist as possible to prevent checking.

charlie knighton
05-26-2013, 4:46 PM
i believe mold depends on the humidity, here in virginia we have a lot of humidity except in winter, i can get certain woods mold, i have had aspen twice, mold got it the second time

Harry Robinette
05-26-2013, 9:25 PM
It's a little different shaped but I do like it. Keep a eye on that wood if you put it in a bag, plastic bag's usually promote mold and fungs growth. It look like you got it pretty thin,did you get the bottom the same thickness can't tell from the picture. I think you know that if it's not all the same *&^%$ CRACK.

David C. Roseman
05-26-2013, 9:42 PM
Very nice, Doug. Don't know about the finish issue, but if the edge of that bowl were any thinner, it would be a hazard to handle without gloves. :D

David

Eric Gourieux
05-28-2013, 3:28 PM
Great form, Doug. The finish looks ok from my vantage point. Can't help with the wet to finish question, as I usually don't apply a finish to wet wood.