PDA

View Full Version : Anybody you know?

steven c newman
05-25-2013, 4:43 PM
263086263087Sorry, do not have any plaid shirts.....:D

Jim Matthews
05-25-2013, 6:12 PM
Both examples look too good, and are too young to frequent this forum.

Send both back for a good soaking in PBR until they're sufficiently
rusty as to be considered presentable for the regular crowd.

Chris Hachet
05-28-2013, 9:13 PM
Both examples look too good, and are too young to frequent this forum.

Send both back for a good soaking in PBR until they're sufficiently
rusty as to be considered presentable for the regular crowd.

Heck, I,m forty seven and I know several younger guys into hand tools...

David Weaver
05-28-2013, 9:40 PM
Jeez, you and jim koepke look like you could be brothers.

Adam Cruea
05-28-2013, 10:33 PM
I've got a couple of those! A smooth bottom and a corrugated!

And I'm 33 and into hand tools. We exist. :)

You old timers just need to get your glasses checked. :-P

Jim Matthews
05-29-2013, 7:18 AM
I've got a couple of those! A smooth bottom and a corrugated!

:-P

I'm not sure I want to know that much about your anatomy.
If you're suffering from corrogation of the posterior, you need to walk around some.

Zach Dillinger
05-29-2013, 8:29 AM
I'm 29 and wouldn't work wood any other way.

I don't know the gentleman in the photo but that's a pretty nice looking plane... even if it is an iron one!

Andrew Nemeth
05-29-2013, 9:52 AM
34 here and sliding down the slope (not to be confused with "the hill") FAST.

As for the original post, looks like one of them needs just a bit of cleaning up... ;)

Jim Koepke
05-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Jeez, you and jim koepke look like you could be brothers.

He does have a resemblance to my younger brother Steve.

There is also a pair of 8s in my shop. Fine as long as there aren't 3 Aces to go with them in the hand.

My plan is to fix up the corrugated sole #8 and sell it with a few other things to raise some money to purchase a new tool. Derek's review of the Gramercy dovetail saw has me considering one of those. It will be awhile before my time will be available to spend on that.

One of my thoughts is to sell three planes as a set. They are all corrugated soles, a #4, #5 & #8. All three planes have slight problems but the #4 & #5 have been regular users in my shop with no problems. The biggest problem is with the #5. Its tote bolt is JB Welded into the base. The #4 has a very light crack near the mouth. I am not certain it is a crack. It could be some other mark. The #8 so far looks like the biggest problem will be a repaired tote and a type 7 frog on a type 8 base.

Have to see what happens.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
05-29-2013, 1:11 PM
I'm not sure I want to know that much about your anatomy.
If you're suffering from corrogation of the posterior, you need to walk around some.

I just spit coffee all over my desk! Very funny Jim:)

David Weaver
05-29-2013, 2:05 PM
Have to see what happens.

jtk

Well, Just use the words "fantastic", "mint" and "rare" on ebay and you're ready to go :) Seems like everyone else there does that.

At least I can gather from this thread that I'm not the youngest person regularly here.

Jim Koepke
05-29-2013, 2:19 PM
Well, Just use the words "fantastic", "mint" and "rare" on ebay and you're ready to go :) Seems like everyone else there does that.

I prefer to be honest, maybe something like this:

My cat thinks this plane is "fantastic" since it has been covered with cat "mint." There is a small bag of it held in front of the tote with a "rare" earth magnet.

My thinking is it might be a good set for someone looking for their first usable group of planes. There is another #5-1/4 high school shop survivor (barely survived) in my accumulation pile. Maybe turn it into a scrub plane to go with the set.

jtk

Chris Griggs
05-29-2013, 3:07 PM
At least I can gather from this thread that I'm not the youngest person regularly here.

I've realized over time that this is a much younger crowd than I initially thought. I think I was 27 or 28 when I started posting here (now 31). At the time I assumed everyone here was over 60 and that I was the youngest person posting. Dave, I told you before that I assumed based on your former "Brusha, Brusha, Brusha" signature that you were much older than your mid 30s. It wasn't until you did that Creeker interview that I realized how close in age you were to me.

Anyway, there's a pretty good age spread here. A good number of regular posters (Me, Dave, Zach, Adam, Trevor, etc) in there 20s and 30s but also a fair few in there 50s, 60s, and beyond. I find that to be pretty cool.

Peter Pedisich
05-29-2013, 3:57 PM
I've realized over time that this is a much younger crowd than I initially thought. I think I was 27 or 28 when I started posting here (now 31). At the time I assumed everyone here was over 60 and that I was the youngest person posting. Dave, I told you before that I assumed based on your former "Brusha, Brusha, Brusha" signature that you were much older than your mid 30s. It wasn't until you did that Creeker interview that I realized how close in age you were to me.

Anyway, there's a pretty good age spread here. A good number of regular posters (Me, Dave, Zach, Adam, Trevor, etc) in there 20s and 30s but also a fair few in there 50s, 60s, and beyond. I find that to be pretty cool. Once again us guys in our 40s are forgotten...:D

Adam Cruea
05-29-2013, 4:00 PM

You disappoint me. :(

You forgot the ever-important and super-stylistic "vintage". That instantly adds $100 to the price. :rolleyes:

I like the folks that put up something and, literally, put every single buzzword in the title.

"Super vintage rare fantastic mint #8!!!!!!!!!!! Found in a barn! Fantastic vintage rare wear! Great user!!!!!"

*looks down at pictures, notices tote cracked in half, toe and heel chipped, japanning completely redone, lateral adjustment lever bent into rear tote*

Inevitably, those are the ones listed at $450.

steven c newman
05-29-2013, 4:23 PM
This one is now listed @ $15.99, for the next 4 days....

Type 9, #8c

BTW; May 15th tis year, I turned a very OLD 60 ( feels like 160)

Jim Koepke
05-29-2013, 6:05 PM
That's too bad about the mouth.

jtk

steven c newman
05-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, it cuts Moxxon Tp just fine. Wasn't meant to be a smoother plane, anyway. Way to big! But, the frog supports the iron just fine as is.

David Weaver
05-30-2013, 2:02 PM
You disappoint me. :(

You forgot the ever-important and super-stylistic "vintage". That instantly adds $100 to the price. :rolleyes:

I could mention a non-ebay dealer or two also, but people can tell when things are out of line or there's just too much "super rare, one of very few", "vintage, pristine" and the thought of...hmm, i think the price might be off by a factor of 4.

A good sense of thrift protects the wallet, though.

Trevor Walsh
05-30-2013, 3:07 PM
25, am I the youngest?

David Weaver
05-30-2013, 3:21 PM
Yeah, I think you're it. You weren't even born for the influx of culture during 1984 that made us all what we are. That's a shame. :)

A recap for the rest of us who are somewhat close to my age:

The movies:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?year=1984,1984&title_type=feature&sort=moviemeter,asc

The music...started early, with Van Halen's 1984 on Jan 9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_in_music

And a couple of others were:
Def Leppard, Hysteria
Prince, Purple Rain
Devo, Shout
Madonna (OK, my sister pummeled me over the head with madonna and cyndi lauper, I don't even want to remember the names of the albums or my head will have the songs in it for hours).
Metallica, Ride the Lightning

I'm sure there's a dozen more huge ones.

steven c newman
05-30-2013, 5:13 PM
Of course, SOMEof us suffer from OPS. Olde Phartes Syndrome.

Music? Groups like early Rolling Stones, The Archies, The Cyrcle (Red Rubber Ball fame) Simon and that other guy...

When a '66 Mustang 2+2 was in the showrooms?

Have a drivers license to drive a '70 Mustang Mach 1?

Learned to drive with the type of car Barny Fife drove? ( Hint: 62 Ford Galaxie, straight six, three on the tree)

Duncan Ainslie
05-30-2013, 5:35 PM
25, am I the youngest?

23 years old here - born in 1990!

Younger than most of my tools (by a fair bit in some cases), I'm an old man at heart though.

Tony Shea
05-30-2013, 5:39 PM
I'm young enough (31) that I don't even know what "three on the tree" means. Maybe that has nothing to do with my age but more about my lack of interest in vehicles.

I love it when you search out Veritas or Lie Nielsen stuff on ebay and you come up with a pile of old chisels and planes that have absolutely nothing to do with LN or LV. Just that the person decided to use the word in the title of the auction. But then again who can afford to buy a LN item on ebay, you can get them cheaper brand new if you walk into their showroom and sometimes cheaper online at their website. I have never won a bid for an item on ebay that is tool related.

Chris Griggs
05-30-2013, 5:44 PM
I love it when you search out Veritas or Lie Nielsen stuff on ebay and you come up with a pile of old chisels and planes that have absolutely nothing to do with LN or LV. Just that the person decided to use the word in the title of the auction. But then again who can afford to buy a LN item on ebay, you can get them cheaper brand new if you walk into their showroom and sometimes cheaper online at their website. I have never won a bid for an item on ebay that is tool related.

Always cracks me up too!

The heading usually say something along the lines of "as good as a Lie-Nielsen"

Peter Pedisich
05-30-2013, 6:06 PM
25, am I the youngest? WOW!:eek: that means you were born the year after I graduated from Philadelphia College of Art!

Joe Bailey
05-30-2013, 6:31 PM
I'm young enough (31) that I don't even know what "three on the tree" means ...

A "three-on-the-tree" was slang for the setup wherein the shift lever to change gears on a three speed manual gearbox was mounted on the steering column (the "tree").
These were typically, though not always, "grocery-getters" (non high-performance cars), though many a "sleeper" (a high performance car that looked like a "grocery-getter") came from the factory with this setup.
The four-speed counterpart was often referred to as a "four-on-the-floor".

Adam Cruea
05-31-2013, 7:54 AM
A "three-on-the-tree" was slang for the setup wherein the shift lever to change gears on a three speed manual gearbox was mounted on the steering column (the "tree").
These were typically, though not always, "grocery-getters" (non high-performance cars), though many a "sleeper" (a high performance car that looked like a "grocery-getter") came from the factory with this setup.
The four-speed counterpart was often referred to as a "four-on-the-floor".

The "four-on-the-floor" referring to the fact the gear shift rose up from the floor (much like Elenor in the poor remake of "Gone in 60 Seconds").

23 years old here - born in 1990!

Younger than most of my tools (by a fair bit in some cases), I'm an old man at heart though.

I think most of us are younger than our tools. Though, like you, still old and crotchety at heart. :D

Jim Koepke
05-31-2013, 12:08 PM
My hope is to look as good as my tools when I reach their age.

Not likely since some of them already look better than me at twice my age, though I am catching up to some of them in the age department.

jtk